No announcement yet.

Medical & Safety Research

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This thread is somewhat timely for my as I tore my ACL in December and am waiting on reconstruction surgery.

Those who have skiboarded with me before know that my desire to tackle difficult terrain far exceeds my technical ability to do so, resulting in many dramatic falls! However the short length of my skiboards, and my ability to roll out, has always protected me from serious injury. Even on non release bindings, I always felt relatively safe on skiboards. In fact the big plus of skiboards for me was the ability to tackle steeps, bumps and trees that I would never have done on skis

Like many others, as my proficiency increased I experimented with longer skiboards, then longboards and then skis. My injury happened whilst I was on my 150cm, narrow Kastle skis that I use in icy conditions. As I was getting off the lift a novice snowboarder pulled me backwards by the shoulder in an attempt to save himself from falling. My butt got below my knees, I caught an inside edge, and my ACL tore in half. I wasn't even going at walking pace.It really drove home how the length of skis puts your ligaments at risk if you get your knees in a vulnerable position. It also helped to reinforce the fact that modern ski bindings are not designed to protect the ligaments in your knees from injury. Based on the mechanics of the incident, I know I would not have been injured on skiboards as my tails would have just slipped put from underneath me. I still would have ended up on my butt, but with my ACL intact. Lesson learned.

Ir's not a battle that can be easily won on the internet, so I don't try too often, but it drives me crazy when people on the FB page say they are going to use release bindings to protect their knees. So the information in this thread is excellent when it come to educating people about how our equipment choices effect our risk of injury. Thanks ysb33r for putting this together.

Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Hey Badwolf , So sorry to hear about your injury , and best wishes on a successful reconstruction surgery and rehab and getting back to the slopes next season! Really a bummer to be injured on such a freak accident!
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks Jack. If I had to miss a season, this was a good one to miss. My surgery was delayed due to COVID until next month, so with a nine to twelve month rehab I might get back on the slopes by mid season.

I ordered two pairs of The Kneebinding brand bindings, which I will build custom risers for. If I stay on 110s and below I should be pretty safe, but there is always a risk.

Comment

Comprehensive Rehabilitation Protocol for Physical Therapists on Return to Skiing after Surgical ACL repair

Here is an interesting set of slides (especially for Bad Wolf ) . The last two are references to real research backing up the presentation

https://www.slideshare.net/DanaHindm...t-presentation
          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
            All you ever wanted to know about ACL injuries and ski bindings

https://www.newschoolers.com/news/re...s-ski-bindings

Bad Wolf pointed me at this article. It is well written and backed up by proper references.
            Thanks for the info, it will come in handy as I will have to do the majority of my rehab at home. The surgeon wants me off work for 4-6 weeks, but I will have to be back in 2 to keep my job. Something I did learn is that the implant starts off fairly strong post surgery, but then weakens after several weeks as the implant matures, before finally becoming strong again, making it important to adjust the intensity of your rehab accordingly.

Comment

Working...
            X