Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aligning boot over ski correctly

Hi,

new rider (and pretty new skier) about to go out for first try, not sure how to align my boot over the ski.

I have Summit Nomads with Rossignol Axium 120 bindings. I'm using Dolomite AX 03 AF boots size 280 aka 10. The sole has a measurement of 326mm marked on the side with a center mark.

Should I adjust the bindings so that when clamped in, the center mark of the boot is over the center of the ski as closely as possible? Right now it's about 1.5 inches behind center.

I'm six foot 155 lbs if that helps.

p.s. I noticed there are markings on the bindings in the 2xx-3xx range. At first I though oh cool I bet I just set each to the 326mm sole length or maybe the 280 shoe size. However neither setting is anywhere near the mark.

Do those settings mostly become meaningless due to the possible ways to align the boot?

thank you very much!
    Last edited by destin; 01-18-2010, 03:41 PM. Reason: fix typo

1.5 inch back of center is not a big deal, but try to get it closer to center or slightly back of center (within half an inch). That way you will experience the benefits of being center mounted on a symetric skiboard.

Enjoy your first ride and let us know how it worked out.
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I actually have the same bindings, had the exact same thoughts and started to wonder if they had been mounted correctly.

This may help, there is a window on the back under the heal that will show you how close you are to center. Press your boot into your binding and look to see where the arrow is in relation to the 4 lines, I was able to get mine a hair forward of the center line.

I think this should be correct, someone can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just getting into this.

Comment

Originally posted by UpstatedNY View Post
        I actually have the same bindings, had the exact same thoughts and started to wonder if they had been mounted correctly.

This may help, there is a window on the back under the heal that will show you how close you are to center. Press your boot into your binding and look to see where the arrow is in relation to the 4 lines, I was able to get mine a hair forward of the center line.

I think this should be correct, someone can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just getting into this.
        UpstatedNY,
        If I understand your post correctly, you are referring to another important adjustment that is different than what destin is referring to. What I beleive you are refering to is the "Forward Pressure Setting" which has to be adjusted as you describe, but is independent of boot position relative to the skiboard.
        sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

guys, just bring your sticks and boots to a ski shop and tell them you want it adjusted.

these people are trained to handle all types of bindings and ski.

playing around with the pressure settings and stuff is just cause for injury or equipment malfunction.

spend the 10$ and have piece of mind.

i would love to give give you a lesson on how to adjust bindings, but over the internet is pretty much impossible.
          Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Ah, I had no idea about the foot pressure thing, that is cool.

I should just bring it in there is a shop less than 20 minutes from where I work, for some reason I thought it would be more expensive and I was just trying to get through the season.

If only I had bought spruce, but I found this forum after

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
              1.5 inch back of center is not a big deal, but try to get it closer to center or slightly back of center (within half an inch). That way you will experience the benefits of being center mounted on a symetric skiboard.

Enjoy your first ride and let us know how it worked out.
              That you VERY MUCH! I was able to get the boot center line about 1/2 inch behind them.

Incidentally I printed out a large portion of your newbie guide to take along in case I forget any key points.

Originally posted by UpstatedNY

I think this should be correct, someone can correct me if I'm wrong as I'm just getting into this
              Thanks for the reply! I found the purpose of that indicator by digging up what looks to be the manual / sister manual to these bindings. Like you I adjusted mine so it is in the slightly forward of center position, which is also what the manual states it should be.

Thanks Slow for mentioning about this as well.

Regarding taking it to a shop, actually I prefer to understand how to adjust things myself as much as is practical and in my area Orange County, CA I have yet to find any shop where mention of the skiboard doesn't elicit a hunh?

I had to order mine from back east, I was very excited to finally stumble on an active community of skiboarders online.

didn't end up going today I really couldn't tell for sure from the reports if it was going to be raining at the local resorts or snowing today, it looked very borderline. I plan to ski next weekend however.

thanks again all

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                guys, just bring your sticks and boots to a ski shop and tell them you want it adjusted.

these people are trained to handle all types of bindings and ski.

playing around with the pressure settings and stuff is just cause for injury or equipment malfunction.

spend the 10$ and have piece of mind.

i would love to give give you a lesson on how to adjust bindings, but over the internet is pretty much impossible.
                Guys,

Roussel is making a good point. Do not take risk with mis-adjusted equipment.

But I would suggest that when you take your equipment in, have the tech explain to you what they did and have them answer your questions. Make it an educational session. You will then understand your equipment allowing you to service it in the future and it will give you the confidence that the tech knows what he/she is doing.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                  Guys,

Roussel is making a good point. Do not take risk with mis-adjusted equipment.

But I would suggest that when you take your equipment in, have the tech explain to you what they did and have them answer your questions. Make it an educational session. You will then understand your equipment allowing you to service it in the future and it will give you the confidence that the tech knows what he/she is doing.

for sure. and being a tech myself, i love it when people ask me questions, ill spend the 20 min explaining to them how to properly mount a binding. beats waxing skis or selling helmets.
                  Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X