I'm NEW and kind of broke.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm NEW and kind of broke.

Hi all. I'm Jordan and I'm up in the mitten. This is my introduction.

I'm 5'6" and 155 pounds. I'm going to buy some boards. My first set.

I want a quality product, for a reasonable price.
    I could have searched. I know.

I was thinking about, for this season, getting the Spruce 120s, since I have an intermediate skiing background, and swapping the bindings out on a pair of shorter boards next season because I anticipate being rich next year.
    Would this be stupid?
    I've used snowblades in the past, and I think this route is a lot better for me than skis. Especially since I don't want to have to buy a roof rack. (jaykaying)

Or, here's this option. I can buy a pair of K2 Fattys at MC Sports for 149, and use them and try really hard not to hurt myself, and sell them at the end of the season. for like, $50, just to see if I like it or not.

So, basically, I'm really confused and I need guidance.

What type of riding do you do? The Spruce option will be a much higher quality than the K2s or MC Sports. You'll also feel way more stable on the 120s. The type of riding you intend to do has a lot to do with it. Also, what is your background as far as skiing/snowboarding? Do you have any experience with either or is this your first go at snow sliding?

Comment

Please please please do NOT get the K2s or the MC Sports. The deal going on with Spruce right now really is a good one, as they are some serious boards. You won't get even close to the same experience from the others that you'll get from spruces (not to mention they'll hold their value much better). And the Spruce bindings are great too, they should swap onto just about any other shorter board (although I can't picture them on a 75cm model haha). You may not even want to trade in the Spruces after this season.

Dan
      Chickens w/ Spruce Pro Primes

Comment

Get the Spruce 120 deal, and if you really like it you can get another set of shorter boards next year and just switch between the two sets depending on what you plan on doing that day.
        Revel8 ALPdors
        Gold Revel8 Receptors
        Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
        ____
        Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
        If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by Courtney View Post
          What type of riding do you do? The Spruce option will be a much higher quality than the K2s or MC Sports. You'll also feel way more stable on the 120s. The type of riding you intend to do has a lot to do with it. Also, what is your background as far as skiing/snowboarding? Do you have any experience with either or is this your first go at snow sliding?
          WELL. I've been skiing since sixth grade, I'm a sophomore in college. I don't feel like doing math. I've seriously gone maybe 10 times in that time frame. I can go and I can stop. I haven't killed any children. I can't snowboard. I tried once. But skiboarding looks like a lot more fun than just straight up skiing.
          I won't be doing anything fancy. Groomed, mostly. I'd still not like to kill anybody.

Comment

The Spruce 120 deal is really great and you should feel plenty stable and under control on them. You'll be able to turn quicker than on longer skis so you should feel more in control.

Comment

I agree with everyone else. I bought the Spruce set and found them to be incredibly fun. There are also some used sets that you can get in the classified section if you are on a tighter budget.

Comment

Originally posted by jayordan.b View Post
                I can go and I can stop. I haven't killed any children..
                Jordan, welcome to the forum. You have a quick sense of humor and will get along well here ;-)

By all means, jump on the Spruce combo deal before it's gone. When we started out a few years ago I had been on skis only a few times and about half a day on a pair of rental skiboards, pretty much a rank tyro. The first pair I bought for myself was a pair of Spruce 120's. I felt comfortable on those from the first moment and nothing has changed since. You'll find them to be a quantum improvement over long skis for easy handling, nimbleness, fun, and relaxing enjoyment.

My only complaint is that since then I've gone to a lot of trouble and expense to find I ride I like better and haven't had any luck, although some are close enough to tempt. You might have the same problem.

Comment

Cool beans! I ordered a set.
                  I banned myself from my longboarding forum, so I might be poking around here quite a bit.

Thanks for the help!

Comment

Outstanding. Let us know how you like 'em. Others have reported their love life being enhanced after riding the 120's but I can't vouch for this one way or another.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill View Post
                      Outstanding. Let us know how you like 'em. Others have reported their love life being enhanced after riding the 120's but I can't vouch for this one way or another.
                      That's ok Bill we won't ask you to vouch for other peoples love life!!!!

Comment

Phew! That's a relief! ;-)

Comment

OOOOOkay. I went out to a dinky resort on.. Monday, and so far they're really fun. People kept asking me why my skis were so fat, but I guess you guys know how that goes. I'm going to a bigger resort tomorrow, so I'll report more on that.

The person I was with has a really hard time controlling himself in the lift line and ended up running me over a billion times, and the stupid kids ran me over too. There are a couple of dingy scratches on the tops of my boards, no big deal right? Is there something to prevent anything bad happening or is it fine?

Comment

Originally posted by jayordan.b View Post
                            OOOOOkay. I went out to a dinky resort on.. Monday, and so far they're really fun. People kept asking me why my skis were so fat, but I guess you guys know how that goes. I'm going to a bigger resort tomorrow, so I'll report more on that.

The person I was with has a really hard time controlling himself in the lift line and ended up running me over a billion times, and the stupid kids ran me over too. There are a couple of dingy scratches on the tops of my boards, no big deal right? Is there something to prevent anything bad happening or is it fine?
                            I use turtle wax on the tops of my boards, it seems to help somewhat.

Comment

There are a couple of dingy scratches on the tops of my boards, no big deal right? Is there something to prevent anything bad happening or is it fine?
                              I wouldn't worry about these scratches. The boards are crafted by a very high standard, so these scratches on the top won't affect their performance at all!
                              2010 KTP
                              2010Receptors
                              2011 Full Tilt Hot Doggers

www.myspace.com/damnthedoorisclosed

Comment

Working...
                              X