No announcement yet.

Best way to get better

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made it back out on Saturday and I've improved, but my balance is terrible, I'm locking my outside knee, and my feet are spread pretty wide.

Has anyone ever tried a wobble board to improve balance? I was thinking about giving it a try.

Also, how bad is it to "lock" your outside knee in a turn? Once I noticed I was doing it I tried to stop, but it kept happening up, like a bad habit.

Thanks

Comment

I've been going to a chiropractor for the last couple months as my back had been bothering me. They've also been working on fitting my exercises to skiboarding over the last month of so. A number of the exercises that they have me doing are designed to help with my balance. They're as follows:

1) One Legged Standing
      Stand straight, and lift one leg to form a 90 degree angle at the waist and the knee. Make sure to keep the stomach sucked in, and hold for 30 seconds. Switch sides and repeat

2) One Legged Squats
      Stand straight and lift one leg from the ground like the above exercise. Bend the leg you're standing on at the knee. Make sure to keep the stomach sucked in, hold for a count to 5, repeat 5-10 times, then switch legs

3) Can't remember what it's called
      Stand straight, lift one leg to form a 90 degree while bringing the opposite hand to touch the knee. Lift the hand on the same side so it's straight out from the shoulder. Make sure to keep the stomach sucked in, hold for a 5 count before switching sides. Repeat 5-10 times.

I know these are what work for me, and I definitely am starting to feel like my balance is improving as a result of doing them.

Comment

Originally posted by dis View Post
        I've been going to a chiropractor for the last couple months as my back had been bothering me. They've also been working on fitting my exercises to skiboarding over the last month of so. A number of the exercises that they have me doing are designed to help with my balance. They're as follows:

1) One Legged Standing
        Stand straight, and lift one leg to form a 90 degree angle at the waist and the knee. Make sure to keep the stomach sucked in, and hold for 30 seconds. Switch sides and repeat

2) One Legged Squats
        Stand straight and lift one leg from the ground like the above exercise. Bend the leg you're standing on at the knee. Make sure to keep the stomach sucked in, hold for a count to 5, repeat 5-10 times, then switch legs

3) Can't remember what it's called
        Stand straight, lift one leg to form a 90 degree while bringing the opposite hand to touch the knee. Lift the hand on the same side so it's straight out from the shoulder. Make sure to keep the stomach sucked in, hold for a 5 count before switching sides. Repeat 5-10 times.

I know these are what work for me, and I definitely am starting to feel like my balance is improving as a result of doing them.
        And all these excersices can be done while brushing your teeth. Good job on describing them dis. They certainly help me improve my balance.

BTW: get into an aqua fitness program as well.

As for the locked outside knee, that is one of the riding styles promoted in one of the carving videos from Japan. I suggest not doing a "solid" lock so there is some flex to avoid any damage to your leg/knee.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Cool thanks for the suggestions, I'm going to do the exercises daily, I was already doing the foot and heel lift ones, so this will be a good addition.

I saw a cheap $20 balance trainer at Wal-Mart, I might get one and do both, it can't hurt even as even on a gentle slope I can't balance on one board for more than a few milliseconds.

We actually offer aqua fitness where I work in our therapy pool, but there is something about swimming with co-workers that would feel odd.

My knee lock is pretty solid, so I'm going to correct, hopefully.

Thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by UpstatedNY View Post

We actually offer aqua fitness where I work in our therapy pool, but there is something about swimming with co-workers that would feel odd.

Thanks again
            You will not notice them if you are focused and are labouring just to make it to the end of the session.
            sigpic

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Comment

I bought the wobble boards/and I've been working with them and Dis's exercise suggestions and I think they are helping my balance, but it is too early to say if this will help me preform better on the hill.

No real improvement this week, a bit of let down, but like learning anything new there will be some ho-hum days.

I'm much better an boards than skis, but I still have to labor quite a bit to get down the hill, my legs are screaming at me, so I'm think about picking up a lesson on carving, I have to be doing something fundamentally wrong and I don't want to re-inforce bad habits.

Combined I've maybe skiied, inlined, and skated twenty times in my life, so I guess I can't expect to much this season.

One piece of advice I did get on the chair was if I can't get close to the ground, which I really can't seem to, that I should shave some material of the tongue off the boot. Anyone ever do this?

I have Dolomite AX Anthracite and I really not a big fan, so I'm willing to mod them if this will help.

Thanks

Comment

I am a big fan of working out, so I say you should also do lots of core work. Strong abs and back will help stabilize your body and take lateral pressure off of your joints by holding you more steady. Do a google search for the Med Ball 200...that's a nice little core workout that will strengthen your entire core.
                2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
                2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

Oh and don't forget to stretch before and after you ski. Everyone remembers to stretch before they run or play basketball or whatever but nobody thinks to do it before hitting the slopes. That will keep your muscles fresh so they don't totally wear out and have you crashing hard on your joints.
                  2008 Revolt "Trees" with Blue Groove X1's
                  2007 BWPs with Line FreeFlex

"It isn't for the moment you are struck that you need courage, but for the long up hill battle to faith, sanity and security." - Anne Lindbergh

Comment

Last weekend was a pretty good, I actually left comfortable about 70-80% of the time, I only felt out of control a couple times, and I was able to make it through.

I'm still not pretty, I watch these people who can ski/board and it looks effortless, and that is what I want to achieve.

Big week I have a custom boot appointment, my first set of revel, and to my wives' dismay I bought some FT.

Now I have no choice but to get better, I can't blame my gear anymore!

I started to do core training, not only will it help my get down the hill, but I'm sick of looking all lumpy.

The balance training and leg training are paying off, I did about 10 hours on Sat/Sun, Bristol Mnt.has a small progression park, I might go try a few small jumps, should be fun for me and the "spectators"

Comment

Good to hear that things are coming together for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Also, when you have time, please post your foot and FT boot measurements in the following post so I can add you to the data base. http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ight=wide+feet
                      sigpic

Comment

Working...
                      X