Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to get better

Hello,

I just started learning and I want to progress, but I have limited time to be on the slopes.

Is there a way to train basic skills at home?

Also, is there a particular exercise that would help me strengthen the muscles used while learning? (I was really sore after my first day out)

Finally, what should I work on once I get out to the beginner's runs?
    (I've been trying "hockey stops" both left and right, I can't seem to figure out how to hold an edge so I can barely turn at any speed, should I be snowplowing?)

Thanks!

Wecome to the forum. You are just hours away from enjoyment and freedom skiboarding will bring to you.

The best way to get better is to go riding with someone more experienced. Watch for "meet and ride" posts in your area.

If you have not done so already, check out this thread that includes videos on technique and rider suggestions: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6725

As for conditioning at home, many suggest "wall squats" to strengthen your legs/thighs.

If you are getting sore quickly, a few considerations are:
    * hydrate starting the day before
    * do not run the skiboards flat to the ground like skis, keep them on edge
    * practice getting them on edge on a piece of carpet at home (the thread above describes what to do)
    * DO NOT V plow!

Here are a few other threads that have additional insights from then new rider experiences:
    http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...highlight=aqua

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...light=matthies
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Slow,

Thank you! I've spent a good portion of my day looking through the links you provided, this is really, really helpful information and I'm floored at how quickly you responded.

I'm going try the at home stuff tonight and I might get a chance to hit the slopes this weekend.

Thanks again!

Comment

Where in Upstate NY are you?

Comment

I live 30 minutes outside of Rochester, NY in a little town called Macedon.

Comment

I live in Henrietta. Where do you ride im assuming at Bristol? id be glad to meet up sometime. I'm out there... well a lot. Tomorrow, Saturday, maybe Sunday. And after that just about every day except for Tuesdays and Thursdays. I see you said you have limited time on the slopes so if you know when you can go a day or two ahead of time and its not Tuesday or Thursday im pretty sure i could meet up with you if you would like. I'm not the worlds greatest teacher but id be happy to help in any way i can. Like Elk said, just riding with another skiboarder will help immensely. Lemme know

Comment

Originally posted by UpstatedNY View Post
              (I've been trying "hockey stops" both left and right, I can't seem to figure out how to hold an edge so I can barely turn at any speed, should I be snowplowing?)

Thanks!
              As an instructor I must advise you not to call it a snow plow, and defiantly don't wedge on skiboards it doesn't do anything except for in the park...I use it to scrub small amounts of speed when needed.

When you are trying to turn or hockey stop, try thinking about as pointing your knees in the direction you want to go not your feet. When you point you knees it puts your boards on edge easier and you get a more effective turn. I don't know about your stance, but something I have heard on here and that I was guilty of was about not having to be forward in your stance. You still do but not nearly as much, keep your shin in the front of the boot with your knees over your toes and back somewhat straight up and down against the ground. And a good technique when you first start is to keep your hands out in front of you as if you are carrying poles this keeps your body in the forward position. When you get used to the feeling of the stance you can then put your hands down in the gorilla stance position giving you the look of a skiboarder.
              Revel8 ALPdors
              Gold Revel8 Receptors
              Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
              ____
              Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
              If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by bec2745 View Post
                I live in Henrietta. Where do you ride? id be glad to meet up sometime.
                ^Do this. My breakthrough day was when I rode with another forum member (CrazyBoy-1). I learned so much in just a few hours.

Comment

I've been to Bristol three or four times and Holiday Valley, twice, so I guess Bristol

It would be awesome to have some help, if you are willing to give me some pointers I'd happily accept.

I had actually planned on trying to get out to Bristol after work tomorrow evening, and if the wife is in a good mood I might be able to do one of weekend days.

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post
                    As an instructor I must advise you not to call it a snow plow,
                    If you french fry when you should pizza your going to have a bad day.

Comment

I will try that knee trick, hopefully tomorrow, I find I look down a lot. So, much so that some random nice person pointed out to me I should try and look up. I've been trying to do that more often, but it feels so unnatural for me. May be looking at my hands will help correct this and also help getting on edge. I was so tired after my last outing I remember grabbing my knees for air. I'm not in the greatest shape, so I'm sure this doesn't help. But, I think after watching and reading the stuff posted here, it is beacuse I've kept the boards flat and then kinda of "pushed" my way through turns if that makes sense.

I'm going to try doing the edge on the carpet that Slow recommended tonight and see it feels comfortable. I also noticed last time that I can hockey stop pretty well to my left, but can't make a right stop to save my life, so there is something to work on also.

Thanks!

Comment

Let us know how it all works out.

Good to see that we already have a volunteer. WTG bec!
                        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Originally posted by bec2745 View Post
                          If you french fry when you should pizza your going to have a bad day.
                          Listen here buddy, I actually used pizza about 40 times yesterday when teaching 10 and 12 yo lol
                          Revel8 ALPdors
                          Gold Revel8 Receptors
                          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                          ____
                          Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                          If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by ElkCloner View Post
                            ^Do this. My breakthrough day was when I rode with another forum member (CrazyBoy-1). I learned so much in just a few hours.
                            Yes, and you have done well, Grasshoppa.

Definitely take Brian up on his offer. I'm betting he can help you out a lot with technique. I had to learn all by myself when I first started skiboarding, and while I did fairly well, I also picked up some good stuff after riding with some more experienced people. Don't be too concerned about being able to stop better on one side. It's natural to have a dominant side. With time, you'll start to develop more stopping power on your weaker side.
                            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I made it out on Sunday and this time was better, but I'm still having some trouble. I can not shed speed on a right turn, so I go for a short distance make 3-4 cuts then I feel too fast and I hard cut left to stop and repeat.

I tried practicing the tips from the Japanese video, but my outside skiboard would keep catching an edge and I would have to lift and reset or fall

I read a post on the first page yesterday about balance and foot weight and after I realized that, I'm not shifting my weight effectively to the left leg.

So, I tried with boots on to balance on one foot and not suprisingly I'm far more stable with my right foot grounded than my left. I also tried the sit in the chair with your eyes closed and lifting your heel. Well, it actually took me like 15 tries before I could "envision" which way I should be turning based on the heel that was lifted.

I think working on balance and weight shift will really help so thanks to those people who posted those, I'm planning on a going out again this weekend.

I was never this enthusiastic about any sport/hobby, it is just fun to be improving, this is a great community, and my new goal is a complete blue run without stopping, by the end of the season.

Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                              X