Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tips on spinning

what up everyone.
    i'm a fairly new skiboarder. i started at the end of last season and i've been out 3 times this year. (i skiied off and on for about 7 years before that).

i am decent at jumping and doing some different grabs, though a little inconsistent..

so i decided today to attempt some spins, since this website says that they are some of the easiest tricks to do (haha). i thought of starting with a simple 180, but i wasnt sure about trying to land backward, so i went for a 360... my first attempt didnt go too well.. i think i made it about 270, landed side ways and drove my shoulder into the ground.. pretty painful. thought about giving up the dream after that point, but i gave it another shot. my next 3 tries were much better. i spun 360 and landed but on all 3 i was leaning back a bit too much and wasnt able to ride it out completely.. my fifth attempt, i guess i got cocky or something, but i was basically out of control when i went off the jump, so i was pretty much screwed in midair.. i think i landed on my back or side and knocked the wind out of me pretty bad... i decided not to try anymore today, ill save myself for another day (and hope there is no internal bleeding)

anyway, does anyone have any tips for practicing the technique of spinning in the air, other than actually just going out there and trying it..? i'm just a litte hesitant after 2 hard landings, though I know i can do it from the 3 that i almost did land. or any other tips for spinning?

oh, and do they make any kind of padding or protection for hips or back? im sore as a mother right now... thanks for the help.

mike
    daily outdoor deals - surf, ski, and skate

Personally, I'd say get use to riding backwards and learn to 180 before going for 360s. 180s are significantly easier because its mostly just turning your legs.

Monroeville eh... riding at 7 springs? maybe Boyce?

Comment

yeah i just moved here in december nice that we're actually finally getting some snow. i was gonna go to 7 springs today actually, but the roads were so bad this morning, so i just went over to boyce since its about a 5 min drive..

yeah that place is weak, but it was good enough for me to practice on today i guess.. better than nothing. probably spent more time on their slow ass lifts than actually riding though.

but i'll definitely be up at 7 springs next sunday and possibly that saturday also.

Comment

I hear ya man.....I can jump well and grab no problem but staying on axis while rotating was hard. I could use some tips on that myself for next season so don't eat it as much.
        Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Comment

screw on axis, go off axis . get used to landing backwars, its one of the best things about skiboarding. also on bigger stuff i perfer to land backwards i always feel more stable for some reason
          REVEL8 Killin it Since 05!!!!.....maybe we're just alil more epic?

Comment

Yea, i feel the same way about landing backwards after spinning. I can't do threes worth shit on big stuff, but i can do 1s and 5s in my sleep. Anyone else land fakie easier?

Comment

shit, i can do them all in my sleep... i've had a couple dreams where i pull the 360 off no problem.. now its just a matter of gettin it when im actually awake.

but really, i guess i'll go for the 180 next time and try to get that down first. thanks for the advice. let me know if you're gonna be up at 7 springs sometime, i'm sure i could learn a lot from watchin you ride.

Comment

i personaly love the 180
                but u have to style it out
                i havent tried anything more than a 540 latly....
                but having a trampolien definatly helps me learn all the stuff i do now.. so if u can get a hold of a trampolien or any thing that bounces use it. it helped me
                facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

i can do 180s easy, yeah like kirk said its just easier to land backwards for me. all the big rails i hit i land fakie before i land regular depending on how much powder we got. and as far as jumps 180s over 360s for sure

Comment

my most stable trick is a 720 because just airing things or having too much free time to think in the air throws me off

-mike

Comment

My advice(works for me) for the 360 is to turn your body first and then your feet. But begin with 180.Needs only to turn your feet and u will have the time to improve your landing just remember that you must make everything opposite....
                      Sorry about my english
                      Nikolas "Engineer" Kavoulis
                      --------------------------------
                      Proud Owner of
                      Revel8 Revolt "Condor" 2009
                      Spruce 2009 Pro Prime Risers & Release Bindings
                      Dalbello Krypto Rambage 09
                      --------------------------------
                      "Why ride if you can't remember it?" GOM 12.10.08

Comment

Working...
                      X