Problems with jumping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems with jumping

I've been skiboarding for about 4 years now, just carving and hitting little 1 foot kickers and such, but lately have become interesting in learning to do some park stuff. The only problem with this is that I'm getting less air (my max was prbly about 3 feet of the tabletop and about 4 off a kicker that was less than a foot) and having harder landings coming off the the tabletops than I am hitting tiny kickers off to the sides of the trail. I also seem to get thrown forward on some of the time when I come down on these landings. Any suggestions as to what my problem here might be? Also, any advice before I start trying to ride rails?
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

well for one thing..sounds like ur doubt'n urself when approaching a ramp..
    when u doubt urself u r bound to automatically fail...so next time..see what ur gonna do before u hit the ramp...watch some vids. and u can study our techniques. And on the rail part...practice on jumps like 10-15 footers to find ur balance..then go for rails..b/c they both consist of balance..just that if u do ramps first..u would at least have first hand of being off of the ground..and when u do that..when ur slide'n the rail..look at the end of the rail..not ur feet
    -have you seen my poopie??

Comment

There are a few specific techniques you need to know before you can slide rails.

find either a nice low box or straight rail to practice on:
      1) get a fair amount of speed and jump onto the rail or box landing with your boards perpendicular to the rail and the rail right under your boots, if you don't you fall.

2) make sure your feet are wide, like shoulders width or greater. the most common mistakes when starting out is to have your feet too close together and you will fall back everytime.

3) keep your weight forward as you come on the rail and as you slide it, if not you fall back everytime.

that should be enough to get you started. you have to keep these 3 things in your mind until you can do them without thinking about it. but if you forget to do any one of them, you fall.

g

Comment

the other thing i would add in is wear a helmet and keep trying till u get it. dont give up if u fall and fall and fall. If u get really frustrated go and ride the mountain for a little bit and then come back. The other thing i would say is dont be worried about what others think if u keep trying and other people see that u are at least trying u will gain respect where u ride.
        "I Know that I am a woman, a woman with inward strength and plenty of courage"
        ~Anne Frank~

Comment

yeah for sure wear a helmet because if you don't remember to do all those things you'll probably fall backwards on the rail and probably smack your head.

oh yeah and don't worry about people talking shit, it's almost always the people who can't do it any better who talk the most. the people who are good respect how much it takes to get good and don't say anything or encourage you.

g

Comment

Thanks for all the help guys. I already have a helmet, and am planning on getting a better one than the one I have for now, and as for caring what others think, that has never been a problem for me. And you are so right about the people who say you suck being the ones who suck themselves. I had a snowboarder who said I was a sissy and sucked after I manged to just barely land a safety grab with about 3 feet of air. When I saw the snowboarder try to hit the same tabletop, he ate it on the way up before he even hit the lip. God that was hillarious. Also, if any of you plan on hitting anywhere in NM, I'll try to meet up with you guys and maybe get some advice in RL espescially if I'm still having problems, or if I'm doin fine, just to have some fellow skiboarders to hang with.
            Last edited by SkaFreak; 01-18-2005, 02:02 PM.
            I do it because I can.
            I can because I want to.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

'08 KTPs

Comment

Where are you skiing in NM? Ski Apache is my home mountain (closest to TX anyway).

Comment

I ski everywhere in NM...literally. So far this year only 2 I haven't been to are Taos and Angel Fire, and I will be goin to both of those at some point. I'll be hitting up Ski Apache sometime in the next month or so most likely. Have you been there since they put in their new terrain park? prbly has the most rails out of anywhere in NM, and a few nice kickers and one massive tabletop (as of last time I went at least, might be more or less now)
                I do it because I can.
                I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

I was there last weekend and the terrain park looked nice (although I stay out of it). They had quite a few jumps and a lot of rails and boxes. I mostly stay in the Apache bowl because the lift line up there is never long even on crowded days. It has been getting really warm up there lately (50's and 60's), so I'm not sure how long it will remain 100% open if they don't get some more snow. I will likely be up there again on Feb. 5.

Comment

Yeah, I must agree, the Apache Bowl is fun. Lotta empty space to carve in, a few little patches of trees to shoot through, and a few small jumps if you know where to look. If you're at all into hitting some jumps, I'd definately reccomend hitting their terrain park a few times. They have jumps of every size, from a little 1 foot kicket to a huge tabletop. I won't be able to make it up there Feb 5th though. Dunno when I'm gonna make it down there.
                    I do it because I can.
                    I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

Well I took all your advice and it did help the jumping quite a bit. I still seem to have the habit of making two really quick carves before I hit a jump, and that is just because I got so used to it while I was still timid about hitting any kicker bigger than a foot, but at least now I've noticed that I do it and can fix it. As for the rails, I think I should prbly find a funbox to try it out on first, cause I know that I got nervous before I hit the rail, and only slid like 2 feet before I started to slide off to the side, but at least I didn't eat rail, cause that would suck. So once again, thanks for all the help
                      I do it because I can.
                      I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

1) Timing... you have to feel this

2) The right speed, not to slow, not to fast

3) Landing: 20° to max 35° angle skiboards-ground

Comment

Working...
                        X