Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Top Sheet Edge Chamfering (to prevent chipping)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PeteJE
    replied
    Would it be possible or desirable to include as a manufacturing / design change in the future (to put such a factory edge on the board)? I have done this to all my boards and it did seem to help (especially with beginning / first times out when more board banging happens).

Leave a comment:

• Tho1efX
    replied
    Thanks.

Thank you very much slow. I appreciate it.

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    Picture and video links editted. Should be OK now.

Greco, please delete the attached pictures (which are blank now), thanks.

Leave a comment:

• Tho1efX
    replied
    @Slow

Thank you very much. No rush, my boards wont get here till Wednesday and I cant use them till the weekend (maybe not even then).

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    Originally posted by Tho1efX View Post
    Hey I'm new here and I can't figure out how to look at the pictures attached to the main post and I'd really like to know how. All that happens when I click on them is I get a new tab and a blank white screen. I tried with 3 browsers nothing worked. Help? Also the video doesn't work but thats a different problem.

I will need to dig up the original pictures and video and relink. Give me a few days to clean things up.

Leave a comment:

• Tho1efX
    replied
    Help?

Hey I'm new here and I can't figure out how to look at the pictures attached to the main post and I'd really like to know how. All that happens when I click on them is I get a new tab and a blank white screen. I tried with 3 browsers nothing worked. Help? Also the video doesn't work but thats a different problem.

Leave a comment:

• Nessagirl18
    replied
    Alright thanks

Leave a comment:

• sempai
    replied
    Originally posted by Nessagirl18 View Post
    Okay so I was reading this and I'm wondering if I understand this correctly. So if you barely file the edge of the top sheet so its no longer flush with the sidewall will prevent chipping? You only want to take off just a tiny bit correct? Now this won't damage or allow water to get underneath right? Why isn't this done with skis or snowboards? Will it make your boards last longer or is it just for cosmetic reasons? I think I understand the concept I just wanted to clear some things up.
    I do this to all my sidewall constructed boards, and it seems to really help. It creates a more rounded edge which keeps it from catching ice, hard pack snow, or whatever. When you think about an arc's smoothness compared to a right angle, it makes sense. Doing a light filing or sanding will not expose enough to allow water in. I imagine some people are doing this with their skis and snowboards also. I think it's more of a cosmetic thing.

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    Originally posted by Nessagirl18 View Post
    Okay so I was reading this and I'm wondering if I understand this correctly. So if you barely file the edge of the top sheet so its no longer flush with the sidewall will prevent chipping? You only want to take off just a tiny bit correct? Now this won't damage or allow water to get underneath right? Why isn't this done with skis or snowboards? Will it make your boards last longer or is it just for cosmetic reasons? I think I understand the concept I just wanted to clear some things up.
    I take off the thickness of the top sheet at a 45 degree angle so the sidewall takes the dings. As long as you do not start taking sidewall off, there is no risk of water getting underneath. The chamfering helps with the cosmetics unless the ding is large enough to expose the wood core. But at that point, the chamfering did not serve its intended purpose.

Leave a comment:

• Nessagirl18
    replied
    got this right?

Leave a comment:

• Rowntree55
    replied
    Will chamfering void my warranty?

I'm not too worried about quality as it seems R8s last quite a while, and in a year I'll probably get <10 days on em, but defects are possible.

Leave a comment:

• slow
    replied
    Originally posted by Greco View Post
    worked for me. have you tried a different browser?
    Likewise, but I had to be patient for it to load.

Leave a comment:

• dis
    replied
    Odd, it's working now.

Leave a comment:

• Greco
    replied
    Originally posted by dis View Post
    The video isn't working for me. Is there another link?
    worked for me. have you tried a different browser?

Leave a comment:

• dis
    replied
    The video isn't working for me. Is there another link?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X