Backcountry.com Tuning Guide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Backcountry.com Tuning Guide

There are a few threads spread out discussing various aspects of tuning skis, but backcountry.com has set up a really useful video tutorial on their site. It covers detuning tips/tails, deburring, base repair, hot waxing, and edging. It's pretty informative and a great place for anyone to start learning about all of it. Anyway, here are all the videos:

Detuning tips/tails

Deburring

Base Repairs:

Hot Wax Part 1

Hot Wax Part 2

Sharpening Edges
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Thanks for the videos SkaFreak, they are useful ones for sure!

The only thing that I was wondering is that in the last video - sharpening edges, the person doing it was also sharpening the base edges...on the research I have made about edge sharpening, they always mention to be careful not to sharpen your base edges too often or at all, only the side edges...

Does anyone know if it really matters too much sharpening the base edges often? Are there really any benefits to sharpening base edges? Or is it better to avoid sharpening them altogether and just do side edges (which is what I currently do)??

Just curious to learn about other people's experience when tuning their boards
    Be happy everyday of your life!

Comment

The concern about sharpening your base edges is that it can grind them down to the point that they are not on the same plane as the bases, which will make your edges less effective and basically create a second edge on your bases that can catch a little bit. You definitely want to do it very sparingly, but maybe once a season it is ok to give them a light touchup. Even with the sides, you don't want to sharpen them too often. If you're out riding 3 or 4 times a week, you'll need to sharpen them more often than if you just go out 10 or 15 times in the whole season.
      I do it because I can.
      I can because I want to.
      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
      '08 KTPs

Comment

Ska,

Thank you so much for the info!
        Be happy everyday of your life!

Comment

I know Revel8 boards come from the factory tuned, but would it be good to tune the side edge a bit right after getting them or are they already sharpened enough? They seem fairly dull to me. Just got a new pair, want to do it right.

Comment

before the season starts what order is best? wax then tune or tune then wax?

----
            Revel8 ALPs
            Bomber Elites
            Salomon Foil Boots

Comment

Wax then tune, you have to get the wax off the edges some how...at least that's my logic
              Revel8 ALPdors
              Gold Revel8 Receptors
              Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
              ____
              Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
              If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by Godofmedia View Post
                Wax then tune, you have to get the wax off the edges some how...at least that's my logic
                Actually the opposite GOM. By tuning first, you keep wax out of your tools and tuning grit out of the wax on the base. That little notch in your scaper is to clean the wax off your edges.
                sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Ah, okay gotch'a
                  Revel8 ALPdors
                  Gold Revel8 Receptors
                  Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
                  ____
                  Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
                  If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by slow View Post
                    Actually the opposite GOM. By tuning first, you keep wax out of your tools and tuning grit out of the wax on the base. That little notch in your scaper is to clean the wax off your edges.
                    that makes sense. appreciate the feedback.

----
                    Revel8 ALPs
                    Bomber Elites
                    Salomon Foil Boots

Comment

I like my stuff sharp enough to shave with...

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

just rewatched these before i wax and i gotta say this dudes hilarious. his mustache is classic and the glasses and bikers helmet cracked me up.

----
                        Revel8 ALPs
                        Bomber Elites
                        Salomon Foil Boots

Comment

Good stuff. The man wiped his nose on his sleeve in one of the videos. I laughed until I cried. Little things for little minds.
                          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Working...
                          X