Hey! Look at the newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey! Look at the newbie!

First off, let me just send out a big thank you to Greco for being patient with me and helping me through the registration for this board. My email client apparently ate my activation email twice...but finally, here I am. Thanks dude!

As the title says, I'm a newb, so do bear with me for a while. I'm a convert from alpine skiing, which I did for about 5 years before on a whim I rented a pair of Salomon Snowblades at Okemo two years ago and it was probably one of the best sliding experiences I've ever had. I was hooked by the end of the first run, and riding fakie by the middle of the second. I was so stoked that, whichout doing proper research first...shame on me...I went to my local ski shop and bought a pair of Snowblades, finding out only a few days ago through this site that I'd sunk a couple hundred bucks into the most inferior skiboards on the market. Joy. Oh well...they'll get me down the slopes for a season or two whilest I save up.

I'm planning on going out as often as possible this season and from now on, since I've finally found a sport this addictive. Here's where my questions start flying. On skis, I was pretty much a mid-intermediate level cruiser. I was content just to make it from the top of the hill to the bottom, exploring the mountain and finding the most fun lines I could. But I can already tell, on skiboards, that's going to get a little dull after a while. I really want to start hitting the terrain park, but I'd like as much advice as possible before I do so I don't end up spending most of the day on my ass. So if anyone would be willing to take some time to impart some knowledge from setting up for a kicker, to what to do in the air (which tricks are good to start off with), to sticking the landing, it would be much appreciated.

Also, I've already started saving up for a new pair of boards, but I have no idea which pair to get. I like the way the Snowblades handle, which would lead me to believe that I should keep looking at a pair of 99cm's, but I don't want to discount the shorter, wider boards before I try them. Basically...I don't know what's good and what's bad. Any guidelines for deciding? I'd like something that I can use all over the mountain, including the park.

Sorry about such a long post...but I'm pretty amped up about this season. Thanks for any advice anyone might have. Also, if you're that bored, feel free to catch me on AIM. jat15rr.

Hey man, welcome to the site finally. Theres alot of people here that can help you with whatever you need so dont be afraid to ask questions. Ill catch up with you on aim later so we can talk some more.
    -Justin Christ-

Comment

welcome dude!
      other than technicalities, the main thing to start with is - sit back and figure out, what is the worst thing that may happen in the park and then get a helmet. well, basically when you realize that nothing bad can happen you go and do what you feel like doing. just don't stop thinking before and during you do it
      if you want to experience the element - get out of the vehicle!

Comment

unworthy,

sbol is based in new york just over the boarder from connecticut. why don't use just meet up with us and ride, you'll pick up so much more than can be typed in a post.
        whenever we ride we post the date and location here, just keep an eye out. next time will probably be 2-3 days somewhere in ny, nj, ma or pa.

g

Comment

Thanks, man. Good to know. I'll have to keep an eye out and meet up with you guys sometime.

Comment

We went to mt creek today...sucked, only two rails at the whole place.

We're going to jiminy peak tomorrow I think. If you want to meet up email me your cell number, that's for anyone.

G

Comment

Wouldn't you know I've gotta work? Sucks. But tomorrow (Thursday) I'm PROBABLY, if everything works out cool, going to take a trip to Mount Southington for the day. I'll post about it later tonight if I'm going to be able to.

Comment

we're not going to jiminy, no park until 12pm and that's not even for sure. we'll be at camelback.

g

Comment

Hey U......dont diss your Salomon snowblades too much. They will be the source of a huge amount of fun, and thats what it is all about. Seems like you ride on the East Coast? Keep those edges sharp and show the wide board guys a thing or two on hard pack.
                  Crossbow (go to dream board)
                  Most everything else over time.
                  Go Android

Comment

Working...
                  X