So here goes...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consider these for your weight, height, experience:

Spruce 120's...... check out their reviews, ya just might wanna go for these!

Alps, ask dcox20 about them, he's big guy riding them.

Revlot... good all around board for just about anyone.

My brother is 6ft 215LBS(but getting thinner by the week!), he rides... ready for this; SnowJam 90cm!! he loves them and screems fast on them!! No powder though!

KTP; overlooked due the width, but read the reviews on it too, you'll like wha you read!

In short, no mater what board you choose, you do fine one and won't be disaapointed in and you'll end up getting another board anyways because you are hooked!
    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

The decision is a difficult one. So here is another perspective.

Some time ago we posted our "go to skiboards": http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...highlight=goto

When factoring in riders weights, the general theme was that riders in the 175 to 185 rage liked the 120 Spruce and ALP. Heavier riders liked the Sherpas, Lacroix (or Summit Woody) 110, and KTP. While lighter riders liked the Revolts and BMPs. There were exceptions, but the theme was there.
      sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I’m 5’11/230 ish, all fat though. I’m a total beginner, but I’ve ridden the Spruce 120s and the Rockets 103s so far. I have the ALPs but have not had a chance to try them out yet, hopefully I will get to Friday or Monday and I’ll report back.

The 120s are a perfect size for me, they are incredible stable and are forgiving of my bad form, I don’t/can’t fall backwards on them like skis. The length/width seems perfect for my size too. The Rockets just feel too small for a big guy like me, I’m not near as stable on them yet.

I can’t say much about speed, cause I’m SLOW, but the few times I was on a wide not so steep run that I felt confidant on I would get going pretty fast (to me) fast enough that I got scared and slowed down. I think these boards have much more speed in them, I’m just not a good enough rider yet to go balls out to test them out.

I also rode them in about 5 inches of fresh powder with no tracks in it yet. I don’t know how to ride powder at all either, I just did my regular type of skiing and had no problems the boards cut through the stuff like it was groomed and never slowed down or got stuck on it. I occasionally would hit big plies of snow from a snowboarding wake, and they just when right through them without me feeling unstable at all.

The only thing I don’t like about the Spruces is the graphics, I wish they were “cooler” looking. I think, but I’m not sure, you can only use releasebales with them, so that will add cost (but I like the safety, at least in my mind, of the releaseables).

Anyway, that’s my perspective as a total noob who is about your size but with more front loading build. I just feel more confident with more board under me. I’ll let you know as soon as I try the ALPs if they give me the same bullet proof confidence as the Spruces.
        ’07 Spruce Blue 120
        ’09 ALP 110
        ’09 Revolt “Condor” 105
        ’09 Rumspringa Rockets 103
        ’09 Spruce Pro Prime Bindings (x2)

Comment

Thanks for all the input guys. I've been reading as many reviews and such as I can find and I beleive the ALP's are what I'm gonna go with. It's just like Pinkkid said, I am already hooked on snow sports in general, so I know I'll be buying another set next season anyway, so if these aren't perfect for me, then I'll try something else. I'm gonna go ahead and get the ALP's with bomber bindings and just rent boots as I won't have enough money to pay for my trip and boards/bindings as well as boots. I'll just rent some boots and maybe buy some during the summer or something. Maybe they'll be a big sale! Again, thanks for all the help and replies.

Comment

Also, for now, I will stick with non-release bindings. I've never tried releasable on skiboards before but I can't imagine me liking them at all. Maybe I'm wrong, who knows.

Comment

Ok, another question....On the 2007 ALP's there is a option for soft flex and medium flex(the medium being sold out right now). On the 2009 ALP's there is no such option....so would the 07 soft version be better to order or the 09 version? I've been told people who like speed like a stiffer board and that is me for sure, so which would be better? Is there a difference?

Comment

09 ALPs

Get the 2009 model. It's stiffer than the soft flex 07 model and it has the added benefit of tip-to-tail dual carbon beams in the construction.

Comment

Exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks brother. I like the graphics of the 07 so much better though. Oh well, I'll go with performance over looks anyday.

Comment

Tankman,

Let us know how the ALPs and Bombers work out for you.
                    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                    X