First board, what to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First board, what to get?

I'd like to get into skiboards but don't know where to start. I am good at inline skating but not so good on a snowboard. I'm thinking I want short boards to imitate skates, so I've been looking at 75cm boards. Not sure what kind of width I want. I don't care so much for top speed as I do cornering, control, and maneuverability.

At this point I'm planning on non-release bindings.

whats your height and weight?
    Line Weapons with FF aluminum bindings ...

Originally posted by SkaFreak
    I hate it when I sarcasm all over the place like that.

Comment

5'6" 140lbs

Comment

You could ride Bantams, as they will have the best "roller-blade" or "Skate-like" feel, but they are pretty limited for use on anything but groomed runs. I'd probably go to the Tansho (90 cm) for a better all-purpose board. They are a bit longer, giving much better stability while still being very maneuvorable. I think most people consider the bantams as being "kid" boards to a certain extent due to how short they are.

I'm about your size at 155 lbs, 5'6". I rode BWPs all last season and ordered a pair of Tanshos this year (which I am still waiting for due to a mix-up). I'll be posting a review once I get them and have a chance to ride them. The BWP's, at 98 cm, still are very maneuvorable. They look big at first, but when you have them on they don't feel as long as they look. They feel very quick and nimble. I'm sure the Tanshos are even more so.

Never been on the bantam's, but I'd sure like to try them for s&*ts and giggles.

Comment

Ehh, even 90cm is short for all purpose. If you want a true all purpose board you should look at the KTPs. They are great in park and powder beasts too.
          Revel8 ALPdors
          Gold Revel8 Receptors
          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
          ____
          Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
          If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

I was considering snowjam twin over the tansho for price. At this point, I go less than once a season. I'd certainly go more often if I had my own boards, but I'm not looking to spend too much since it won't be heavily used. I expect a lot of groomed runs here in CA. Anyone heard of Matrix? I didn't see any reviews for this company.

Edit: snowjam twin w/ extreme II bindings

Comment

I would suggest avoiding most Ebay boards... if that is where you are pulling that brand from. Go with a 90+ board and you will be happy. 98-105 is definitely the magic number.
              Revel8 Cities, Line FF Pro Bindings (orange)
              MNP's, Line FF Pro Bindings (blue)
              Line Weapons
              09 Line Anthems, Look px12 jib wb bindings
              06 Line Chronics, Salomon STH12 bindings
              sigpic
              "Leaving naysayers stumped like rainforests" - Sage Francis

Comment

Originally posted by Gorno View Post
                I would suggest avoiding most Ebay boards...
                That's what I figured, just surfing for an inexpensive board to try out. Not sure yet just how much I will like skiboarding.

Comment

Well if you enjoy inline skating you will most definitely enjoy riding skiboards. The only reason I can Inline skate is because I switched from skis to skiboards. Previously I had never been able to ice skate or inline skate, but now I do it to replace the rush I can't get from skiboards in the summer .

I started on 90cm Salomons (garbage), and moved onto better boards, but you would be fine on a board of similar length. I suggest Revel8 boards first, just because I am pretty sure you will want to keep skiboarding after you do some skating on snow...
                  Revel8 Cities, Line FF Pro Bindings (orange)
                  MNP's, Line FF Pro Bindings (blue)
                  Line Weapons
                  09 Line Anthems, Look px12 jib wb bindings
                  06 Line Chronics, Salomon STH12 bindings
                  sigpic
                  "Leaving naysayers stumped like rainforests" - Sage Francis

Comment

I am 5'4 145Lbs and love the BWP's, I also ride the Tansho's and they are great(but prefer the BWP's). I frst rode 99cm Canon M7's and they are perfect size, so you can go Allz 94cm BMP 98cm or... the new Rumspringa line, though at 103cm is proving to be very very good!
                    C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Working...
                    X