Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Recommendations for a taller/heavier guy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommendations for a taller/heavier guy?

Whats up everybody, I'm JB. I'm 25, 6'3" and 240lbs. I started skiing and snowblading about 10 years ago, so I'm not technically "new" to this...but it's been a very, very long time since I've broken out my old pair of K2 Fatties (they are probably still in my mom's attic somewhere, lol). Some time has passed, and lots of stuff has changed. I'm about 4" taller and 70 pounds heavier than I was back when I got into this, and I'm finding that I really don't have a clue what I need to get back into this and start enjoying myself on the slopes again.

I've tried snowboarding 3 times now, and I've come to the conclusion that my brain CANNOT wrap itself around the idea of sliding down a mountain sideways. I'm either butterknifing or on my ass the whole time when I try to board, so screw that. I've gotta be facing forward!

So with that being said, can someone point me in the right direction? I won't be hitting the terrain park or anything like that...I'm too tall and heavy to catch air, heh. I'll be sticking to the nice easy groomed runs until I gain some confidence. Not sure where I'll take it after that point, but I need a well rounded set of boards that will accomodate someone of my height and weight, and take me through a variety of snow conditions. I'm a little over an hour away from Breck, so thats probably where I'd be most of the time.

I'm looking at the R8 101cm KTPs w/ Spruce Pro Sport Risers and release bindings since they seem to be a decent board thats not too short or too long...but I really don't know what to get, or how to tailor the length for someone who is as tall as I am and weighs as much as I do

Sorry for the long intro post, but theres alot of stuff on my mind lol. Great community you have here, I'm looking forward to learning alot. Thanks in advance!

The KTPs will be fine boards for you on groomed runs, but I also notice that you are in Colorado. Skiboards have a quick learning curve for many people, so it would not be surprising if you were comfortable enough to start exploring those powder stashes. That being said, a pair or Sherpas would not be a bad idea. They are a bit longer at 130cm, but they still retain much of the skiboarding feel. I am 6'1" and 200lbs myself, and they have no problem in powder for me. The KTPs can ride powder for someone my size, but it is a big workout on the thighs. The other option for you would be to buy the KTPs to start, and because you are going with the Spruce risers then you could just pick up a pair of Sherpas when you felt you needed it. Hopefully this helps you out some.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

I feel you bro... I'm 6'4" and 290 (down from 365).... should be 260 in a couple months.

I ride confidently on everything from 98 on up... my current "go to" boards are Revolt 105s, KTP 101, and ALP 110 with the majority of my time spent on the 105s.

releasables are a good way to go for me because if I go down it's gonna be a hard fall with a lot of weight being thrown at the earth quickly... I've had a couple releases that I'm sure would have been a broken leg if I'd been on non-release...

that being said - I did pick up some bombers this year for when i ride the shorter boards (sub-98) but I typically only ride those on groomers as the weight tends to push them deep real easy in powder

Big D.
      Dave | Elevendy

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses guys. I'm actually really diggin the 105 Revolt Trees the more I read about them. They seem like a good all around board.

But I will definitely consider the Sherpas, too. I've got a lot of reading to do before I make any sort of decision. I'd love to plunk down the cash and order a pair right now...but I've got two little boys and christmas just cleaned my wallet out. It might be next season before I can get back into this - but I'll be a very educated buyer when the time comes.

Comment

I am heavy too and would need some help.

Hello Everyone,

I would like to know what board, bindings would be good for me. I am currently 275 Lbs, working on getting that down and have already lost 35lbs. I am 175cm tall (5 feet 9) and shoe size is 9. I am a total beginner since last time I skied I was 8 or 9 years old and I am currently 36. Looking into taking up a few sports, skiboarding being one. I would be doing regular skiing beginner and easy intermediate runs. Boards I have looked at are Revolt and BWP with non release bindings since from what I have read, the top weight for the releasable bindings is 250lbs. What would you guys recommend?
          Ohh btw, I will be skiing (skiboarding) at Snow Mountain, in Big Bear, CA.

Thanks in advance for the help :-)
          Regards,
          Axel

Comment

dcox20 what bindings do you use? From what I read on the SBOL site, the releasable ones are for 250lbs and lighter people:-).

Regards,
            Axel

Comment

Another great thread ... I have been thinking alot about how to make sense of choosing from the wide variety of boards offered here on SBOL .. here is my take on it ...
              First the most important question is : do you want to ride powder ? If your terrain and desires are primarily groomed terrain or maybe 6 inches of new snow on groomed snow . then any of the skiboards are fine , even the shorter sub 100cm ones for a big guy because float is not important .

If you decide that you want to ride pow and variable cut up snow well then surface area becomes very important , the bigger you are (weight wise . - which I think is the bigger issue then height) then you will need more surface area to float you in the deep stuff , also more surface area will help stability in variable cut up snow .

I put together a thread about grouping the boards by the surface area ...
              http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6837

For the big guys on this thread ..looking at an all mountain skiboard. I would defintely be pointing toward what I call the supersize boards ( Sherpa and Condor) or the Big Surface area all mountain skiboards ( Spruce 120 , Alp 110 , Revolt 105 , or KTP 101) . The problem with the supersize boards which are really the best boards for big guys who want to do deep light pow is that they can be a handful for guys or gals first starting out .. Therefore I would tend to recommend for both the big guys asking about which board one of the Big surface area all mountain skiboards. Once you get into that range .. the differences have to do with the length and width with similar surface areas . All these boards have similar stability . The longer boards have more front to back stability in variable snow , in other words you have less tendency to pitch forward and back and it is easier to get your balance in variable choppy snow the longer the board . The longer boards also tend to be narrower in this category , allowing quicker side to side manuverability. The shortest board in this category , the KTP is the most manuverable but the least stable front to back . The KTP is quite interesting in that you can set your bindings back 4cm to use for pow and choppy snow .. this makes the KTP less liable to pitch you forward in this kind of stuff then center mount and makes it more similar to a 110 when riding straight ahead in the variable stuff. The only problem is that , IMHO , when the KTP is mounted back like this it is a much less satisfying carver in firm snow and I am often going straight from firm snow out to pow and back . For this reason , I rarely set the KTP back and just ride it in the center position even in pow .

As for the spruce release bindings , the Spruce chooser page that G put up is very nice.. If you look at the weight recommendations of the different bindings you will see that Jeff recommends the Spruce pro primes for weight up to 250 and above , the Pro lite is recommended up to 230 lbs .. the Sport up to 225 lbs

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/html/spruce_chooser.htm
              Boards :
              Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
              Boots
              K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
              Bindings:
              Zero Pro Non release Binding
              Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
              Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
              Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
              Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Jack,

Great analysis. We need the equivalent from the Park riders as well.

We then need it cut and pasted into a sticky tread titled something like How to Select a Skiboard. It would have two selection paths: Park and All Mountain.
                sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

ps. I wanted to add that the length to width ratio is very important as to your desires .. if you want an all mountain board with the ultimate manuverability , and like a hypermanuverable board for park .. or just like the feel of the sub 100cm traditional peformance skiboards .. then the shorter boards will be more to your liking in each category and what you give up in fore and aft stability you gain in manuverability . For this reason there will be riders who much prefer the Condor to the Sherpa , or the KTP to the Spruce 120 . It is a tribute to the popularity of the 105 Revolt that it kind of hits an ideal compromise between manuverability and length . For me personally , as an all mountain rider who does not do park at all , I really like the added stability that a longer board gives me . My favorite board in the super size category is the 130 Sherpa ( although I must say I have not ridden the Condor .. what prevents me from buying the condor is how happy I am with the Sherpa) . My favorite skiboard in the Big surface area all mountain skiboard category is the Spruce 120 .
                  Boards :
                  Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
                  Boots
                  K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
                  Bindings:
                  Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Hello..
                    Very good info.. Now I know I can get releasable bindings which is a plus!
                    Will I ski on powder honestly, don't know. If it snows while I am there I will give it a shot but again, I'll stay on groomed runs.
                    What skiboard would you recommend for my height and weight? The Revolt with releasable bindings? (105cm). Again, take into consideration that I am totally new.
                    Regards and thanks for the info,
                    Axel

Comment

Great information! Thanks a ton guys, you've given me alot to think about and some great options/ideas for narrowing the board type down to what I want. This is an awesome community, for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by AxelG View Post
                        Hello..
                        Very good info.. Now I know I can get releasable bindings which is a plus!
                        Will I ski on powder honestly, don't know. If it snows while I am there I will give it a shot but again, I'll stay on groomed runs.
                        What skiboard would you recommend for my height and weight? The Revolt with releasable bindings? (105cm). Again, take into consideration that I am totally new.
                        Regards and thanks for the info,
                        Axel
                        yes, i really think the Revolt with the Spruce pro primes would be an excellent choice , this would would be a good skiboard to start with and yet a good skiboard to progress with as well ..
                        Boards :
                        Boots
                        Bindings:

Comment

Thanks for the info and advice. I'll probably get the revolts in the next few days.

This is the confusing part:
                          Spruce Mountain 2009 "Pro Prime 2.0" Aluminum Risers with Salomon Z10Ti Release Bindings
                          Weight range of rider - 125 to 250 lbs.

Still worried about my weight.........

Regards,
                          Axel

Comment

Originally posted by AxelG View Post
                            Thanks for the info and advice. I'll probably get the revolts in the next few days.

This is the confusing part:
                            Spruce Mountain 2009 "Pro Prime 2.0" Aluminum Risers with Salomon Z10Ti Release Bindings
                            Weight range of rider - 125 to 250 lbs.

Still worried about my weight.........

Regards,
                            Axel
                            i just emailed spruce for clarification. once they reply i'll align all the info.

g

Comment

Thanks Greco.

Regards,
                              Axel

Comment

Working...
                              X