New to all forms of skiing!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to all forms of skiing!

So I call the mountain that i'm going to for Christmas and ask about skiboards and they tell me that I should not rent skiboards unless i'm an experienced skier and that they don't offer lessons for skiboards, but everything i've read says the opposite, anyway the bottom line is me and my wife are old, overweight and out of shape but we want to have fun with our kids. So what should we do. Btw awesome site, i'm glad to be a new member. Oh P.S. she has skied before but not in a long time, as for myself never

Get 'em and if you feel you need lessons then I will personally say that skiing lessons (on those tree sized planks of wood) gave me a decent kickstart when I put the skiboards on. I was convinced taking them would be a waste of time but was wrong.

And welcome.

Comment

Lessons are good, take them. They will help you. Try and just get the longest lessons you can and just work on whatever they teach you.
      Revel8 ALPdors
      Gold Revel8 Receptors
      Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
      ____
      Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
      If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

Originally posted by Rodney View Post
        So I call the mountain that i'm going to for Christmas and ask about skiboards and they tell me that I should not rent skiboards unless i'm an experienced skier and that they don't offer lessons for skiboards, but everything i've read says the opposite, anyway the bottom line is me and my wife are old, overweight and out of shape but we want to have fun with our kids. So what should we do. Btw awesome site, i'm glad to be a new member. Oh P.S. she has skied before but not in a long time, as for myself never
        Hi Rodney,

As an old beginner, I found ski lessons very frustrating. My legs must be deformed because I could never v plough, and the tips would always cross. I spent more time on my butt than standing. And the rental staff would never give me skis less than 166 cm even though I was the one paying for the rental.

Therefore, for years I would drive 1500 miles to the mountains so my children could snowboard on real terrain, while my wife and I sat in the lodge for the week. Then we discovered skiboarding 5 seasons ago and have since skiboarded many western Canadian ski resorts and have three mountain trips scheduled this year, two of which without our young adult children. To say the least we are hooked on skiboarding and we are having a great time. Our children tells us it is our mid life crisses. Did I mention that my wife hates the cold and is scared of heights? Even so, she enjoys skiboarding.

Note the young lady on skis in this video taken mid afternoon. She was probably on the skis all day and is just mastering the v plough. Whereas the new skiboarders, although shaky, are having a great time carving down one of our local hills within hours. Which do you think is more fun?
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eId-zFN8TY

BTW: If you have not done so, check out this thread:
        http://www.skiboardsonline.com/vbull...ead.php?t=6725

Having been where you sound to be, I would recommend you take the leap to skiboarding. Let us know if you have any other questions. Many would be happy to respond.
        sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

I agree with slow on the snow (v) plow thing, I learned it and almost failed my first lesson because of it. If you do take a lesson tell them that you read somewhere that certain resorts have stopped teaching this technique because of its limited use. I can even find you the website that tells the entire story.
          Revel8 ALPdors
          Gold Revel8 Receptors
          Kneissl Flexon Pro Boots

____
          ____
          Be who you are, it makes you charismatic...
          If life's not beautiful without the pain, well I'd just rather never ever even see beauty again.

Comment

More than likely the Resort wants you to spend your money on their equipment and there lessons, I mean they are a business after all.

Rent a pair of skiblades more than likely some short Atomics or Salomons, if you can rent the HEAD brand that's your best bet for getting the best feel of a skiboard without buying right away.

After a day on the slopes doing some bunny hills and getting comfortable with the idea of sliding on snow you should have the basics down, the wedging and the turning (don't be worried if it feels awkward, most people experience that there first go around). If you find a ski group just watch them and practice what they are doing, If you really think you need a lesson after the first day then by all means get one. I would be willing to say that you will feel comfortable enough to get around the mountain and be having a blast.

Good luck and Have fun
            you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Btw the Ski shop told my wife last night that the reason skiblading is harder is because you can't carve and as a beginner we should definitely ski. So now my wife is like why would they tell me that if it wasn't true. LoL Women..

Comment

Slow,

A few days ago you posted up that awesome guide. Rodney could no doubt benefit from that. Can you post up a link?
                "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

Originally posted by mahatma View Post
                  Slow,

A few days ago you posted up that awesome guide. Rodney could no doubt benefit from that. Can you post up a link?
                  It is the second link in the last post he made. By the way, that guide really helped me out. Thanks.

Comment

Thanks guys I really appreciate it. Btw the Ski shop told my wife last night that the reason skiblading is harder is because you can't carve and as a beginner we should definitely ski. So now my wife is like why would they tell me that if it wasn't true. LoL Women..
                    Rodney:

Your wife should talk to my fiance'. The first ski lesson she ever took was also the first day I discovered skiboards. I was experiencing an epiphany and she was struggling on long, awkward skis, but she listened to the instructor pooh-pooh my skiboards and make snide comments.

That set us back some but she's now a card-carrying true believer. These days, you'd need a large pry and some physical force to separate her from her Spruce 120's. Greco himself would be impressed with the heartfelt pitch she now gives to folks who inquire on the slopes about her skiboards.

Bill

Comment

Last year I took 6 people out, at different times, 1/2 of which were 45+ and all of which had either never skied or had tried it and quit because they didn‘t get the hang of it the first day. In each of these cases using an old pair of Head Big Easy’s, after a couple trips on the bunny slope they were having a good time on skiboards.

I am not by any means a ski instructor in fact I won’t even say that the technique I teach is good. I spend 25 years as a wrestling coach so I have a good understanding of balance and what I show people is meant to give them confidence and gets them going down the bunny slope and having fun. After that they seem to start picking things up on there own.

All I do is take them to the smallest lift I can find ( where we ski there is a magic carpet and a T-bar so these work real well) The first time we just walk part way up the hill (maybe 50 yards) and I have them stand (in their skiboards facing accross the mountain) with their feet shoulder width apart and their knees slightly bent. I tell them when they get going, if they want to turn left put most of their weight on their right foot and of course to go right put the weight on their left foot. If they want to stop just keep turning until they are going up hill and they will stop.

With that little instruction I make them play follow the leader with me skiing backwards in front of them zig zagging down the hill remaining them every time we turn which foot to weight.
                      After the first time I add that pushing harder on the downhill board as they finish the turn will tend to act as more of a break and stop them faster.

It’s a very simple method and like I said it’s not really very technical but it gets them started and I have had 100% success and 100% smiles. In the case of the ones that had tried skiing they have said skiboarding is much easier.

P.S. usually by the end of the day I get them on real skiboards and then their hooked

Comment

Rgzip:

Great post. You explained the essence of what a lot of folks pay big dollars to learn.

You ought to copy that to a word file or something and paste it in as a canned response when similar inquiries are posted, maybe Slow or someone could link it to one of the sticky threads.

Nice work.

Bill

Comment

Rodney,

I would see if someone from SBOL isn't going to be at the mountain you're talking about for that weekend. One of us would surely give you some tips while you're out there. For me, I just strapped a pair on and did a few bunny hill runs by my self, no lessons required. Before I did that, though, I watched a couple of videos and when I got to the slope, I watched some of the better skiers to see what they did. It might be easier for your wife because she has done this a little bit before in the past, so she may be able to help you out a little. But like I said before, I just strapped them on and went.
                          -Shotty

'09 Revel8 Condors
                          Line FF Aluminum Bindings

Comment

So now my wife is like why would they tell me that if it wasn't true.
                            Because they don't want to admit that they have absolutely no idea about skiboards... or even snowblades for that matter.They'll push you towards what they know and what they can sell.

The guy who did fitted my lovely FT boots has been the only snowsports person I've ever met to be straight up about it all and say "Honestly, I know nothing about them mate. Got no opinion on them at all". Sure knew a decent amount about boots though.

Comment

I'll be at Red River New Mexico from Christmas day until the following Monday. Thanks alot guys and keep the info comin' i'll take it all. I'm going to make my wife read all of this stuff tonight, that way she doesn't have to take my word for it.. Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X