Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lots of blue and green graded runs on the east coast are not the same as those on the west coast. Majority of the time, a blue on the west coast is more of a blue-black on the east coast and a black in the west coast is more of a black-double black on the east coast.
    Edward in NYC

Comment

Slope rating is based on the mountain, not a comparison of other mountains. That is the reason for the discrepancy.
      H2O Junkie
      "If your cheeks aren't flapping in the wind, you aren't going fast enough!"

Dynastar Twins, Summit Marauders, HO 720, O Brien Pro Trac, KD Evolution Carbon, Hyperlite Scape 116, O'Brien Swindle 139, Liquid Force Venture

Comment

Yeah BrklynCarver, that's why I was kinda surprised to hear about a blue glade. I live out west where the ratings are generally a bit harder, and I've only ever seen blacks out here. I've also been to mountains that had blues that would be blacks at other mountains without any question.
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

Man I want to hit a west double black...

Dan
          Chickens w/ Spruce Pro Primes

Comment

I have been thinking of hitting up whiteface if there is a lot of snow and they open The Slides. You have to hike it and need atleast group of 2 but it is legitimate double black.

Comment

Then there are the European mountains where the trails are marked in blue or red, red being the tougher trails. It's a world of difference going down the mountains in the US vs. those in Europe/South America. Much more challenging, steeper, and wide open trails with little or no trees.
              Edward in NYC

Comment

I bumped the trail ratings discussion to a new thread called Trail Ratings.
                H2O Junkie
                "If your cheeks aren't flapping in the wind, you aren't going fast enough!"

Dynastar Twins, Summit Marauders, HO 720, O Brien Pro Trac, KD Evolution Carbon, Hyperlite Scape 116, O'Brien Swindle 139, Liquid Force Venture

Comment

I'll jump in with my story as a warning too. I learned to ski last Wednesday, and picked it up fast due to playing hockey and understanding edges and the like. Thursday went again and felt much more comfortable. On Friday I tried some rented snowblades and everything got waaaay easier. I was riding the blues all day. While my friends much more experienced at skiing were falling down the steeper blues I was going down them with no problems.

Then it went to my head. I was smart enough not to go on any blacks, but I wasn't smart enough to avoid the terrain park. The first jump could be accessed without going down the rest of the park so I started jumping that before going down a nearby non-terrain run. A few times through and I landed entirely on my thumb, which is now broken or at least severely jammed.

It's probably not a good idea to start doing jumps your first few times out

Comment

dont worry dude it happens to all of us I was doing a 360 one icy morning slipped out on the landing, smashed my thumb and pulled all the ligaments

its been 4 weeks and I still cant hold onto anything with that hand
                    you never really don't realize it, you just quit caring...

Comment

Good topic

As this is my first year on skiboards plus having never skiied I find this to be an outstanding topic. By the way, coming from snowboarding, I found no transferable skills. That's not a bad thing - just my experience. The first thing I would suggest for anyone is to wear a helmet. Preferably one with speakers in the ear pieces. If you are going to the park then add body armor. There is no reason to not wear a helmet. Anyway, my first 3 full day out on my Spruce 120's I was on the bunnies. Period. Never left. After that I spent a few full days on blues and then slowly began pushing the envelope higher, faster and more technical. It is all about fun which is what I love about snowboarding. There is no need to "be" anything. Fun, fun, fun. I'm nearing the end of my first season and the entire mountain is available to me. 40 degrees? Moguls? Twisting and turning? Crud? Chop? I'm there. You still might beat me down but you won't be wearing a bigger smile. By the way, I haven't had as much as a bruise all season so far. I also suggest being shameless about asking others for advice. In the beginning I felt like I was swallowing my pride by asking a skier for advice (sorry, I've only seen one other skiboarder all season) but now I'm shameless. I'll ask anyone. For what it's worth, everyone I've asked for advice this year - which was probably 6 or so skiers were more than willing to help. I received not a single snub or the slightest trace of attitude. As a matter of fact, every one of them took at least one run with me pointing out how to better do what they were trying to teach me. Whatever the circumstances, if you are unsure just look at the best skier around you - or if you don't know look at the best looking one and ask how to do whatever. At the end, smile big, shake their hand and say "thanks a bunch, that did it for me". You see, they'll feel good and you'll have ppicked up a new skill to work on. Win-win. Plus, if they ask about your short, fat skis you can turn them on to this thing. Rememer, they are not short skis or anything other than skiboards. They are roughly twice as wide as skis, have center mounted bindings and above all are "all mountain" devices fully capable of performance and above all are a blast. Skiers will say they look boring because they are short. Ask them if you look bored. Work hard to bring your smile down to something short of "I'm just out of the nut factory". Anyway, grab your helmet and boards and go have a great day on Promised Land. Fun is the game and you are dealing.
                      "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Spruce Sherpa - RVL8 KTP - RVL8 Blunt XL

Comment

The first time ever i went on the bunny hill, was to try to improve my fakie riding. I applied basic hockey skills. I was basically skiing/skating backwards, with twice the carving and 1/10th the speed. I was trying to see which angles and movements were better for speed/precision. After I hoped onto the blacks and had a blast at full speed. Fakie riding is one of my favs. Watch for others!!
                        Last edited by Manlenium; 04-08-2008, 08:47 PM.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

1 day to black?

Manlenium,

My first day out I was a sad sight to behold. Everything felt foreign. Pointing in the direction I was going was totally new and the sensation of speed was off the charts. Plus, I could't really stop - I sort of skated until I slowly just came to a halt. I was on the smallest bunny and went up and down that thing probably 30 times that day. I remember falling over the first time I tried to get the boards off. But, the fun factor was there for sure. By the end of the 3rd day I was definately ready to get off the greens. But, that was my process. I read with some envy posts like yours. I think we are both proof that skiboarding is for all. You got it immediately and I had to work a little more. Perfect. I still think those days were some of the best I've ever had. The smile never left my face - even when my 7 year old was skiing circles around me and making fun of me. Well, OK, I did grab my snowboard after that little incident and the girls and I laughed it up together on the blues the rest of the day (my son was at the park as usual and the Mrs's headed to higher ground taking advantage of the babysitter) - that was day 3. Again, some of the best days I've ever had on snow.
                          "It's no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" Jiddu Krisnamurti

Comment

this is very good thread.
                            shame on me i found this thread now. =P
                            2011 Receptor Gold on 2010 KTP and DLP

Comment

New and true

I'm new and what you said is true. I went the first time on Sunday. I ended up really injured. My friends let me go on 2 greens. They thought I was doing well. (They are both snowboarders, one was very advanced). They took me on this unmarked, black run and lied to me. I jumped off the ski lift after missing my exit, right before it went around the corner and twisted my knee. I had to follow them down the black run, because I didn't know what else to do. I made it, but me knee was already so injured; and going down something that steep injured it more. I had to sit out the rest of the day. Thursday I'm going again with my kids. I'm taking it easy on greens and maybe some blues.

Comment

Wow. Who found this thread? No matter how old, it's a good topic and a good reminder. By this point in the season I'd say we as a group couldn't be more cocky. We've been on our game for months, the regular runs feel tired and we've already proven to ourselves that there is very little outside the realm of possibility.

I had my ass handed to me about a month ago returning me to mother earth. Thankfully, alive and uninjured. Whatever we are doing on any given day we should wear helmets. If we are in the back country we should never be alone. In the park we should armor up. Check our bindings in the morning. Tighten everything down. Stay waxed up. Smooth bases are predictable. Most of all, lets use our heads. There are many, many more slopes for all of us to experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X