X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• H2O Junkie
    replied
    Skiing in the SE regularly I see it all the time. I am an all-mountain skier (I believe that anyone who says they only ski blacks are missing 2/3 of the mountain) and have seen some crazy insane stuff.

The funniest happened (although it wasn't too funny to the guy on the receiving end) at Winter Place. As I came up to the peak of a black, I saw an older gentleman taking his time skiing across the trail. I decided to wait it out while he finished his meandering trip down.

About that time, a kid maybe 9 years old comes up and says "I can ski this hill mister!". My first response was "go for it".

Well, I am glad I did. He proceeded to point his toes straight downhill with no control whatsoever in a headlong, you-know-what's to the wall run straight toward the older gentleman. I watched as he took the gentleman out at the ankles and slid entangled to the bottom of the run.

Fortunately the gentleman was spared injury. But boy was he angry at the kid! I hate to see these things happen, but it happens all the time here. Some times it is better to slow down and learn.

Leave a comment:

• BrklynCarver
    replied
    Very true indeed, and this goes for any snow sport, skiboard, ski or snowboard. Last week, there were deaths at both Steamboat Springs and Breckenridge, and another death at Steamboat Springs the week before. Both at Steamboat were caused by people going into tree gullies and getting asphyxiated, while the incident at Breckenridge was a snowboarder hitting a jump wrong, landed on his head and factured his neck.

Leave a comment:

• eldiablodenieve
    replied
    Originally posted by SkaFreak
    The key is to slowly work up, take greens until you ride them perfectly smoothly, then move on the blues. Don't bother touching blacks until you can ride a blue at a good speed, and be able to turn/stop quickly should the need arise.
    This will make you better faster, if you are outside your comfort zone you are probably not using good form or technique and it will take you longer to dial those in.

Leave a comment:

• SkaFreak
    replied
    Very true eldiablo, I have heard/seen of so many injuries (not just on skiboards, but skis and snowboards as well) that could have easily been prevented by people not pushing themselves too far. You need to know where to draw the line. If you don't push yourself hard enough, you won't progress, but if you push yourself too hard, you'll find yourself getting injured. The key is to slowly work up, take greens until you ride them perfectly smoothly, then move on the blues. Don't bother touching blacks until you can ride a blue at a good speed, and be able to turn/stop quickly should the need arise.

Leave a comment:

• 93PONY
    replied
    Here here!

I took an intermediate run the other day that IMO really should have been labled advanced....well, it was too advanced for my comfort anyway. Ended up twisting my knee. (2nd time out on SkiBoards)
    Wasn't too bad, but it did make for a shorter day. As my leg got more fatigued I had a hard time stablizing that board & called it a day.

Just because they are really manuverable doesn't mean you can stop on a dime, or that you won't hit a patch of hard ice, or something else unseen.
    The last thing you want to do is hurt yourself or someone else on the mountain.

Leave a comment:

• eldiablodenieve
    started a topic Be smart

Be smart

I know a lot is said about the learning curve being really fast on skiboards and people talk about being on blacks their first day out but be smart about your progression. In the past month I have read threads about new riders hurting themselves on black runs or in glades which are generally blacks. If you have not skied or skiboarded before learning curve or not you probably do not belong on a true black on your first time out. No disrespect to those who got hurt and best wishes for a speedy recovery but smooth runs on a green does not mean you are ready for a black run or especially glades which are usually black runs with trees and sticks.
Working...
X