Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• board & bindings

HI,

I am new to this line of skiis...have skiied and snowboarded for many years but only tried snowblading couple years ago 3 or 4 times. I really enjoyed it because i didn't feel locked down like on a snowboard and felt the freedom of manueverability and swiftness from the shorter skiis. Therefore i am lookin to purchase some skiboards for xmas.

My main question is which board and bindings would be best suitable for me. I'm leaning towards the KTP but if anybody thinks there is a better board out there for my height and weight, let me know. BTW, i am 6'1 and 245lbs. I don't really do much park, occasional jumpin...mainly ride the mountain carvin and thru trees/backcountry. I have read the pros anc cons for non-release and release but don't really have any experience on which is better for someone that is heavier.

Any feedback would be much appreciated, thanks.

-simon

Hi Simonski , Welcome to the Forum !
    Shanghai China , sweet !!! Skiboarding is really becoming a global sport !!
    Your question is getting harder and harder to answer because of all the great options available . It really depends on what you want to do on skiboards , how you feel about manuverability , vs stability , vs powder , vs speed . Since you are coming from a skiing and snowboarding background , you will be used to boards which are stable at high speed . You are also a big guy . I think a perfect board for you might be the Spruce 120 longboard skiboard with the Spruce riser /release system . I have the Ktp 101 , the Alp 110 , Summit/Lacroix 110 (Similar to the Lacroix 110 availble here ) , the Spruce 120 and the Spruce Sherpa 130 ( that board will be on sale coming in January) I am 6 ' tall and weigh 200lbs and the type of riding I do is very similar to yours .. I think my favorite all arounder is the Spruce 120 . It is great in powder , firm snow carving , and has extreme stability at speed and yet feels very much similar to the shorter boards in manuverability . It does require the use of a release binding which is heavier but does offter that extra margin of safety in a longer board . but you can't go wrong with the KTP 101 , Revolt 105 , ALP 110 ,Lacroix 110 , or even the Sherpa 130 . The shorter boards will feel more skate like and more manuverable but have less stability at speed . and the 130 will feel bigger and more snowboard like .. ( ps. note I say Snowboard not ski like for the 130 . There is no ski I know of with a snowboard like 7.5cm turn radius !!!)The 101, 105 , and 110 boards can be ridden with non release bindings which provide a very lightweight interface and feel to the system . As to safety of release vs nonrelease , on these length boards there is alot of controversy . Myself , I do ride my 101 and 110 with nonreleasers and feel comfortable doing that .

I do feel that all these boards from the KTP all the way to the Sherpa can be considered all mountain big guy boards , just depends on your preferences and type of terrain .
    ps . as another footnote , Brett , "Winterparkrider" has given us some great reviews of the new Condor 110 super wide board and feels that it also is a great all arounder for a big guy although it was originally designed as primarily a powder board .

The decision is getting harder and harder !!! SBOL just offers such a HUGE range of quaility all mountain boards suitable for us big guys . I had to edit this post over and over again as I remembered some more boards that G carries !!
    Last edited by jjue; 12-21-2007, 07:18 AM.
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

i cant say it better than jack...every pair of boards on this site will make you happy no matter what. All the products are amazing

Comment

Thanks to Greco and Jack for all the comments...this really does help though makes the decision even harder since there are sooo many options.

It definitely has hit the global scene. Lots of marketing going on over in china right now with many of the big companies, even the small guys have a decent position since the market is so big. If u ever get a chance to get out there, stop by beijing as there are many terrain parks opening up...not quite like the ones here in the states but will get there someday.

Anyways, now i have a tougher decision to make, i originally was lookin at the KTPs or BWPs because i wanted shorter but now am thinking the Revel8 Revolt 105 "City" or Lacroix 110 (look pretty smooth) would be more suitable for my kind of ridin and size. Does 5-10cm really make a big difference? Wanted shorter mainly for the manueverability and convenience of taking my skiboards abroad internationally. So any additional suggestion on which board to select before i confirm my purchase?!

cheers,
        simon

Comment

Simon , the guy to ask about this is Brklyncarver, hope he sees this and offers his opinion !!!. .. That guy has a HUGE quiver ...
          he owns the BWP , KTP , the Revolt , and the Summit /Lacroix carbon 110 ( which is most similar to the Titanial 110 ) and the Lacroix titanial which I don't think he has ridden yet ...!
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

If I was you, not a park guy mainly groomers and glades/backcountry, for your height and weight, I would go with 110s, either the ALPs, Condors, or the LaCroix with non-releaseables. If you hit powder conditions, the Condors will definitely give you an edge. ALPs and LaCroix are very similar, main difference is the tips/tails on teh ALPs are broader than the LaCroix. Either will work well for you.

Since I don't do any park stuff, I personally prefer a stiffer skiboard for more speed and less give when hitting a carve, so I would give that edge to the LaCroix since they are similar to the Summits.
            Edward in NYC

Comment

Working...
            X