Need some help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help!

I am totally new to the sport of skiboarding. All in all you can call me a noob. I have been going skiing off and on for six years. I am not a fan of the long skis idea. Snowboarder isn't too fun for me. My friend got into using skiboards last year and they seem pretty fun. I have been researching them for a year and this year I do not want to ski or snowboard cause I want to get skiboards. So my question is what are good starter ski boards for me? Reasonable price, good brand. I am 6'6" and like 280. So I am not a small guy. Some people told me to get 90s and other told me to get something over 100. But from what I read is anything over 100 isn't really ski boards than.

I am also confident I could pick up skiboarding pretty fast. I been iceskating since I was 3 ( I am 21 btw). Been playing ice hockey since I was 6, so I know how to use my edges and such (if you know what that means).

I also live in the Midwest so the biggest mountain near me is technically a hill.

Any help or opinions will be greatly appreciated?
    "I may be big but Im fast"

There is still debate to what "length" boards should be/are.

My opinion 110 is max length.

Being as tall/big as you are, i would not go lower then BWPs. If you are going to go into park. They will be small enough on you for a "iceskating" feel yet big enough to carry you over the hills.

If you are worried about size then pick up someything slighty longer like some 105 or the wider KTPs at 101. They will give you some extra float. Im sure they would look like 90s on your feet anyways.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Everybody will have their own opinion on the matter, and you'll have to just experiment some yourself to find the perfect lenght, but I would agree with mal that anything less than 98 will be too short for a big guy like you.

So that rules out the budget snowjams. At this point if you want something cheap you can go with the spruce 120's which can be good all mountain boards, and they still retain the classic feel of skiboards, though if you love the park they might be a little long. If you like the park/more maneuverability and can afford it I'd recommend the ALP's or the Revolts.
      Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
      Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

My opinion: go with the Revolts.
        RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

So if I go with the 105 Revolts what good bindings to pick than I would like to keep it under 400 if possible because I would still need to buy boots.

Comment

extreme IIs would be your best option...unless you can find cheap ffpros on ebay (very unlikely)

Comment

I agree. The Extremem II's should be fine.
              RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I have decided to go buy Revel8 Revolt 105cm Skiboards. The store on this site is soldout of them. I need them by Dec. 19th. I hate to ask this but anyone else know where I could buy them from.

And also let's say I buy Revel8 2007 ALP 110cm Skiboards and I get the Extreme II Skiboard Bindings with it from this site Could they adjust the bindings to fit my boot size?
                Last edited by Abearonskis; 12-04-2007, 05:46 PM.

Comment

greco is picking up the new '08 revolts today, and should be shipping out pre-orders as we speak (or in the morning, if he's too tired )
                  Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Originally posted by nate
                    greco is picking up the new '08 revolts today, and should be shipping out pre-orders as we speak (or in the morning, if he's too tired )
                    So if I want to get a pair I should order now incase they sell out quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Abearonskis
                      So if I go with the 105 Revolts what good bindings to pick than I would like to keep it under 400 if possible because I would still need to buy boots.
                      You can ask for an adjustment, but it is better to fine tune yourself anyways. That way its a true fit.

I would go with bombers. I bought a pair and love em. Plus they have a 5 year warranty. If you want a great set of bindings that look and feel great. Go with bombers. Then you have 225 for boots too.
                      Last edited by Manlenium; 12-04-2007, 11:44 PM.

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by Abearonskis
                        So if I want to get a pair I should order now incase they sell out quickly.
                        I would try phoning to see if you can get them in time.
                        Revel8 BWP - Spruce Pro Prime
                        SnowJam 90 - Extreme II

Comment

Originally posted by Manlenium
                          You can ask for an adjustment, but it is better to fine tune yourself anyways. That way its a true fit.

I would go with bombers. I bought a pair and love em. Plus they have a 5 year warranty. If you want a great set of bindings that look and feel great. Go with bombers. Then you have 225 for boots too.

So what boots would you recommend getting with Revel8 Revolts 105cm and bombers bindings?

Comment

All depends on feel. I would try some on. You probably have some massive feet so finding a good fit may be tough. If your foot is wide try salomons. I found them great for fitting wide feet. Head boots I found to fit narrow. Depending on where you look... you can find them from 150-250 range.

There was a post with discounts somewhere.....

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

yea, that link was to sierrasnowboard.com i think (maybe sierrasnowboards?)
                              you might be better off trying at some place local where you can actually try the boot on. if you find a boot you like and that you like the feel of, you can always look for deals on that same boot online.
                              Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Working...
                              X