Bindings question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bindings question

Hey I'm new here, and from what I've been reading on previous threads I'm debating between two sets of boards, but I can't seem to figure out if I want release or non release bindings.

I've never skiboarded before, I'm totally new, I know how to ski, but it's even been a few years since I've done that. So my big question is, are the chances of me hurting myself with non release bindings significantly higher? I know it says something about it in the bindings section, but I'd like a more detailed explanation and if it's something I should take into consideration as a new rider. I also noted the height recomendations as well.

I'd like to cave in and just buy the non-release (they're cheaper and seem to have better performance), but I'm also cautious and seem to look before I leap. Any input from you guys would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

What kind of riding do you plan on doing. Whats your hieght and wieght.
    live it, love it,rip it!!

Comment

I would go straight to non-release. I was in exact same boat. I had some ski experience and wanted to go on the safe side, I ended up buying the high end releasables. I found even on high settings they tending to release on me in sharp turns. This does not give you full potential of the skiboards abilities..... I wished i had bought some bombers instead. I eventually did, man what a difference. You can turn sharper, carve deeper and not worry about release. The boards feel firmly attached to you and the feel is much more fluid.

As long as you ski within your ability and not go straight to the park on the first run. You will do great.

The risk factor is higher with non release, but i would not say it is that much higher then you eating shit with one ski on. Unless of course your height and weight requirements are lower then suggested in the fine print....

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

just so you know...bombers arn't your only option. Extreme IIs are a cheaper alternative along with the Groove bindings, although the bombers are much higher end. There is a new binding coming out this year ZERO bindings....but they arnt out yet, and noones tested them(although they are supposed to be hardcore)

Comment

Haha i think he knows what i mean. But the bombers are reasonable when you look at price of releasables. My immediate thought last season was shit.....could of had some bombers.

Ive tried and tested them........I am a believer.

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

Thanks a bunch guys, you helped me out a lot here.

I'm about 5'7" 120 lbs (I'm female, I apologize if there was any confusion) Weight plays a part in this? I definately wont be hitting the park up right away, it's been a couple years since I've touched the slopes. (I have money now)

It'll be much easier deciding on bindings now than the boards. I'm debating on the bwps and the tanshos. Would the longer board be more stable at first? I know I read somewhere that the tanshos have a more skate like feel, and since I love roller blading I feel like getting nudged into them. Although I wouldn't mind picking up a 2nd pair next year.

Comment

Originally posted by Manlenium
              Haha i think he knows what i mean. But the bombers are reasonable when you look at price of releasables. My immediate thought last season was shit.....could of had some bombers.

Ive tried and tested them........I am a believer.
              honestly manlenium...i dont like bomber bindings. I prefer stiff over flexy. FFpros FTW

BWPS would be an excellent choice. When choosing tanshos or bdubs...i always reccomend bdubs...because they allow room to grow while being a great beginner board at the same time.

Comment

I'm actually going to suggest the Tanshos. I think that for your height and weight they'll work out quite well and shouldn't even give you stability problems if you pick up speed. I started out on SnowJam 90's, and they were comfortably stable for me even pushing lots of speed. I'm about 6'3" and 185lbs, so I'm just figuring that with your lighter weight and shorter height 90's should be great. Not to mention the fact that Tanshos are way better than SnowJams as far as performance.
                RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

either way, maybe choose the one that you prefer the graphics on, and then see what the other looks like next year
                  Chickens with Spruce Pro Lite
                  Line Jedis with Snowjams

Comment

Originally posted by tyberesk
                    honestly manlenium...i dont like bomber bindings. I prefer stiff over flexy.
                    bombers are flexy??

g

Comment

Originally posted by Greco
                      bombers are flexy??

g
                      I would go with the tanshos and work up. I am 6'0 200lbs geared. I came down from 105s and loved it. I found the Tanshos great comprimise from hockey and inline. Quick carving and speed, great park boards. Just not amazing in powder and deep snow. I also have BWPs and the same comments go for them too. Youjsut get some extar landing gear and surface for the parks.

I was going to say the same thing Greco.....

Bombers didnt feel flexy to me at all.....I think the bombers make the board do the work. Maybe you are feeling the difference with the plate and bumpers???

I rode with some line Free Flexs (Not quite ffpros but similiar) and bombers and I didnt really feel a difference. I enjoyed the bombers because it felt like the edge transfer was quicker, and was making the board work instead of the binding/boot working.

Check out this photos for the size difference.

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

I think he meant he liked having the boards stiffer. The FFPro's have a bigger footprint on the board which makes em stiffer.
                        I do it because I can.
                        I can because I want to.
                        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                        '08 KTPs

Comment

Thanks again for all the info guys, I really appreciate it. I'll probably make my decision when I wake up (over night work here). Were suppose to be getting a huge snow storm with a foot to 18 inches of snow, I hope it doesn't taunt me too much...

Comment

Originally posted by Greco
                            bombers are flexy??

g
                            yea g when i stepped onto them...thats the only word i could use to describe them. But i guess when im usta lokens and ffpros everything is flexy.

Comment

i've been using bombers for the past 9 years and i think they are the best. so tight, so strong and the bumpers absorb shock and vibration when i'm going all out. i love 'em. maybe the ones you used we're not setup or installed properly. shouldn't be "flexy" in anyway. when we meet up we'll discuss more and get to the bottom of it.

g

Comment

Working...
                              X