Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to skiboarding - advice on boards

Hey,
    I am looking for a little advice on gear. I have used rental skiboards many years ago, but have usually skiied. In particular I am not sure the length skiboards I should be getting. I note that on some of the ski boards there is a minimum height - in which case I would need the release binding but not sure I want to invest in those yet.
    I have been looking at the Revel8 Tansho and SnowJam Extreme II bindings. Any opinions on if this would be suitable - I am female, 163cm and around 62kg. I am looking for an all mountain - carving and small air, on ground turns etc, no big tricks or rails really. Really on the groomed as we have no powder here in Oz. The other option I was looking at is the Revel8 BWP.

Thanks in advance!

hellllllo, welcome to SBOL!!! Im sure there are plenty of people on here who are going to give their 2 cents. Since i've never used a Revel8 board i dont think my opinion would be very good.

Comment

Re: new to skiboarding - advice on boards

Originally posted by caitie_15
      Hey,
      I am looking for a little advice on gear. I have used rental skiboards many years ago, but have usually skiied. In particular I am not sure the length skiboards I should be getting. I note that on some of the ski boards there is a minimum height - in which case I would need the release binding but not sure I want to invest in those yet.
      I have been looking at the Revel8 Tansho and SnowJam Extreme II bindings. Any opinions on if this would be suitable - I am female, 163cm and around 62kg. I am looking for an all mountain - carving and small air, on ground turns etc, no big tricks or rails really. Really on the groomed as we have no powder here in Oz. The other option I was looking at is the Revel8 BWP.

Thanks in advance!
      I have both the Tanshos and BWPs i am 6'0, 200pds and have no problems with either. The actually size difference is minumal, it is 8cm. That is tip to tip, not the actual base length. The Tanshos are underrated as far as smaller boards, but the BWP are a better all around board if you are not that much into the tricks aspect. (Even though the graphic creator is a rail hound) Even though the guidlines for releaseables has a (Minumal height) Ive always seen it as a guidline. As an mod-experienced skier you should have no problems. Since you are also into the ride, and not the tricks you should have no worries. I always thought the height requirement was a basis for those that were not strong on their feet, like kids, or beginners. Since those people tend to flail or are not surefooted.

The extreme 2's are a great moderate priced binding to start on.

If your stilll not sure size wise, heres a great tip i used........
      Measure out the board lengths on the floor/peice of cardboard and compare the lengths side by side. (If you want toss on some skiboots.) You will be suprised how close the sizes actually are, from the 110s to the 90s.

Heres a pic http://www.skiboardsonline.com/Revel...oards_2007.jpg
      Last edited by Manlenium; 08-02-2007, 04:30 AM.

Boards:

Spruce 120s(x2), ALPs(x3), Lacroix 99's, BWPs.

Bindings:

Pro Prime Riser/Rossi Bindings(x2).

Comment

Hi Caitie,

I've a pair of Tanshos with Extreme II bindings and have ridden Anaesthetic's BWP's at an UK meet. Both sets of boards will be great for you and will give you far more fun than rentals.

You are about the same height as us so it all comes down to your style of riding.

The Tanshos are super nimble, allow you to turn on a penny and you can 'fee' the slope more as they react quicker. The B-Dubs feel slightly slower when turning but give you a little more speed and feel slightly more sure-footed.

The Extreme II's are a good set of bindings and will do you well with the Tansho's but you may just be under the height limit if you use them on the B-Dubs. Anaesthetic had the Spruce releasable bindings on hers and I didn't notice a great deal of weight difference. If you aren't going to be hitting the rails releasable shouldn't be an issue in terms of control.

Tanshos do have nicer graphics

But as I said either pair will be great..... You can't go wrong with Revel8!!
        Revel8 Tansho 90's - Snowjam Extreme II's
        Bluemoris - Kage-Hakkohda 99's - Snowjam Extreme II's
        Rossignol Elite Pro 1's
        Rossignol Soft Light 3's

Comment

Hey thanks for the tips - I'm still not sure I've made up my mind yet though! I do like the graphics on the Tanshos better so maybe that will make my mind up!
          Thanks for the pics Manlenium - gives a better idea than the website. I did actually put my boot down on the ground last night with a tape measure! I can see that it's not much difference, but you know I'm pretty fussy and I want to get the right ones as I'll only be getting the one set.
          Also I didn't realise that the EMP is the Revolt - they seem to have the best ratings for all mountain but are longer again. I'm wondering if I should hire since I haven't been on them for so long to get the feel again......

Comment

sorry.... hate to burst the longer is better bubble.... but grec recommends certain bindings for certain length based on height becuase of LEVERAGE.... its a simple physics principle that may determine whether or not you leg shatters in a fall on your new boards.... despite the "guidelines" notion.... it is tried and true.... ask any doc how many shorter statured people on salomon 99cm boards broke legs becuase of non releaseables.... or any ski patrol veteran.... (and it wasn't just cause solli's suck)
            go with the tanshos.... i'm 5'7" and my favorite board that i own are some 88cm grooves..... except in pow.... bit its still doable if i adjust bindings and stance
            never be able to say you didn't try

Comment

Ok, well that changes things then - I guess the comparison chart doesn't take into account rider's height or type of binding since it appears the EMP/Revolt is the best all mountain. So given that I don't really want to pay for releasable bindings I guess I'll stick to the Tansho. Maybe I'll go longer with releasables next year! I don't really want to break a leg.....
              Thanks for the helpful advice

Comment

The main difference with the emp/revolts is the tip width. That is the biggest visibile difference between the big boards.

I will try and post some pics of the boards ontop of each other to give you a real idea. (I have EMPs, BWPs Tanshos). I went bigger because of the height to weight ratio. But I should have went smaller to begin with. I actually enjoy the Tanshos/BWPs more in the park. EMPs are great for jumping.

Whatever way to go, any pair will keep a smile on your face.

Good time to buy now with the deals.

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

ha ha yeah it's great having winter when it's northern hemisphere summer - all the gear that is 'current season' here is on sale on the web, as long as postage isn't too much......
                  Thanks heaps for the friendly help - I'm pretty sure on the Tanshos now.....just waiting for pay day to order

Comment

have fun!!

how long is the aussie ski season anyways??

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

yeah caitie... you'll have a blast.... all mountain is different depending on your height/ and weight..... my nephews all mountain snowboard is 105 cm..... and mine is 152.... its all relative.... good luck with the boards and keep us updated
                      never be able to say you didn't try

Comment

Ok yeah we do have a short season (and reasonably poor) compared to most other places. Although this year is 100 times better than last... you usually really only get July and August, June and September are pretty patchy/slushy. So yeah but anyway my sister is going to Canada so that's a good excuse to visit although apparently its different skiing on the powder, we have pretty hard stuff here.
                        With any luck I'll be able to try out the boards soonand let you all know.

Comment

I dont feel as bad about the horribly short season now......

In Banff I suppose?? Youll have more fun on the powder i think. Thanks where the boards do the damage.

Enjoy!

Dont forget to leave a review.

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

So I got the boards yesterday (yay!) and am heading up on the weekend to try them out, just getting a hot wax on them today and then ready to go! Will let you all know how it turns out (hopefully well....)

Comment

Have fun!!

Boards:

Bindings:

Comment

Working...
                              X