Upgrading?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading?

Hey all, I just wanted some quick input from some more experienced boarders before I drop some cash on new equipment.

Here's the deal. I tried snowblades last year and loved them. I had previously tried skiing and snowboarding with pathetic results (particularly on the snowboards). As inferior as snowblades may be, they were finally something I could ride. Fast forward to a few weeks ago when I took the plunge and purchased a set of SnowJam Scorpion 90TT's with Extreme II bindings off of ebay. For $150 brand new shipped I didn't think it was a bad deal. I've been out twice so far to a local mountain (Bear Creek in case anyone else is in that area) and really enjoy them,...but I'm wondering If I couldn't do better with some longer, wider boards. I'm 6'3" pushing 185, so I of course look ridiculous on the 90's, but they do work. I'm just wondering how much better I'd be able to do with more board to support somewhat elevated weight.

There is one other major factor in the equation. I happen to be heading up to Vermont in a couple of weeks for a full weekend of boarding (2 days at Stowe and 1 at Sugarbush). As I understand it, the conditions up there are generally more on the side of powder than pack, and I'm worried that I'll founder with the smaller boards.

Right now I'm eyeing the Revel8 EMP's since I think the extra 6 inches will most likely make a world of difference for me. That, and I just think they look amazing. I'd go ahead and get a set of Bomber Elite bindings to go with them, so I'm looking at shelling out a few hundred dollars for this upgrade.

So my question is this; is the upgrade worth it at this point, or am I jumping ahead of myself with the little experience I have? I can afford the boards and bindings no problem, but I don't want to "waste" my money by buying too early.

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

You say you're heading up to Stowe for 2 and sugarbush for one? Do you go to Donegal or Ephrata? I'm on that trip and that's what we're doing.
    About the boards, I'd never steer anyone away from EMPs; they're simply amazing. I've never ridden the snowjams so I can't really compare them, but I have had absolutely nothing but positives from my EMPs. They carve beautifully, they're lightning fast, and they're perfect for park. What more could you ask for? As for the bombers, SBOL is out for the season and you will do just fine if you pull the extreme II's off of your snowjams. I ride the snowjam bindings with no issues at all.

Dan
    Chickens w/ Spruce Pro Primes

Comment

unless we get snow the night before or during your trip it really probably wont be powder machine grommed packed powder maybe. you shouldnt have a problem with the snowjams. i would say use them for the rest of the season or repost them on ebay and try to get red of them although that wont be an option if you take off them bindings. if you do go with the emps im sure you would be pleased at the differences and shouldnt have a problem with the slightly longer boards... either way just comming into the sport im sure you will have a hell of a time as you can have a really cool time on the most generic pair of skiboards out there. hasnt really been a good winter for pow specialy in the east unless you live near oswego ny 12feet of lake effect but im not even sure if there is mtns around there nor do i think my skiboard would float on 12 feet of fresh stuff susposed to get some powder in the east tommorow night *fingers crossed* f-in weather predictions have all messed up this season
      Last edited by mctwist311; 02-12-2007, 12:05 PM.
      Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

i rocked out the snowjams for a little while now and they have been nothing but fun. but from reading on here i can tell they are quite inferior to revel8 or loken. i just got my revel8 bwps and will get back to you after i ride them tomorrow... if you have the resources..you cant go wrong with going ahead and getting a better set of boards.
        Bringing skiboarding down south.....

.xX DEATH_BEFORE_DISHONOR Xx.

-Snowjam 90s with extreme II bindings
        -Revel8 BWPs with Line FF Pro bindings

Comment

airdonut, no, I don't go to Donegal (I'm out of high school) but I will be going on the VT trip with that group. A friend of mine is in the Donegal ski club and got me in. Which school are you located at?

At this point I'm thinking I'll go ahead and get the EMP's and then take both up. I'm almost positive I'll like them better, but the Scorpions won't be a total loss either since I can use them to let other people try skiboarding.

And I was able to find the Bombers on another website, so I'll be able to get them as well.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I go to Ephrata; I'll be the one smoking everyone down the mountain on EMPs .

Dan

Comment

where did you find them bombers man...
              Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

http://www.skiboards.com/bindings/bo...mberelite.html

but when I tried to order them online, there was an error during checkout. I think I'll just use the 1-800 number to order tomorrow.

Comment

That kind of service is to be expected from a place like that...

Dan

Comment

Skiboards.com isn't a bad place, it's just not SBOL. G stays more true to the true core of skiboarding, and doesn't sell things like the new line boards and Salomons. I personally prefer ordering from G, just because I know my money will be going back into the community.
                    I do it because I can.
                    I can because I want to.
                    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
                    '08 KTPs

Comment

You'll notice a HUGE difference upgrading from 90cm boards. I'm 6' 4" and around 190. 90cm boards were ridable for me, but not practical. There was a huge difference between them and even 94s. Anything from 98 to 105 should work great for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak
                        Skiboards.com isn't a bad place, it's just not SBOL. G stays more true to the true core of skiboarding, and doesn't sell things like the new line boards and Salomons. I personally prefer ordering from G, just because I know my money will be going back into the community.
                        I know, and I respect skiboards.com to a reasonable extent. They still make summits, which are good boards. You just don't get the personal experience that you get from here. I ordered bindings there once and they forgot the leashes, no big deal; they sent them right out to me. I just didn't get an apology or anything like that.

Dan

Comment

Yeah, I'd prefer to buy from SBOL also, but is I decide to get the EMPs (yes, still on the fence), I'm definitely going to want those bindings. I just want the bindings period actually. I'm a machinist, and quite frankly those things are just plain beautiful. I'd buy them just for the challenge of trying to replicate them.

Hey thanks for the input, kirk. I'm glad to hear from someone close to my size.

Comment

Well, I went ahead and ordered the EMP's. I'm hoping the get here in time for the trip, but if not I'll just have to go with the Scorpions.

Comment

Mine came pretty quickly, and apparently we live reasonably close. If yours ship as fast as mine did, you'll have them for our trip. You getting pumped yet?

Dan

Comment

Working...
                              X