Another length question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another length question.

I've pretty much read all the threads here and wanted to ask the usual question anyway. It seems everyone likes Revel8's so that's a strong indicator. As for length thought, I'm confused as to whether get a 105, 98 or 90 (since they have all three).

I'm 6' 210LB. I don't want to do anything fancy, any tricks...I just want to make it down the hill and be able to turn and stop. My GF is a skiier, but I've always sucked on skis, so I want something basic and reasonably fun.

Thoughts?

Go with the EMPs (105cm). They will be better for your size, and will carve better, handle better at speed, float better in powder, and be faster. The other boards are (mainly) for smaller people or people who want to spend a majority of their time in the park. You sound like the perfect candidate for EMPs. As for bindings, line FF Pros are the cream of the crop (bombers are out of stock for the season) if you want to go non-releasable, which would be my suggestion.
    Final Verdict: EMPs with Line FF Pros

Dan
    Chickens w/ Spruce Pro Primes

Comment

If you aren't going to be in powder, jumps, or absolutely bombing down the mountain, you could go with any of them. I'm 6'1" 185, and I ride EMP's in all conditions, from powder to ice to crud (although you do have to be careful with them in really ugly crud. The tips *can* get caught, and you *can* manage to kick yourself in the shoulder while still in the air moments before faceplanting just short of a tree....) If you just want to ride groomers, I would say that you could go with the BWP's easily. At your size it might not even be a bad idea to get a pair of Loken CT8/El Bajong's. They are stiffer than the Revel8's, which is better for larger people, The reason most larger people get the longer boards are because we ride though conditions that need it, or are landing big jumps.
      I do it because I can.
      I can because I want to.
      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
      '08 KTPs

Comment

Yeah, I agree. The BWPs wouldn't be a bad choice, but I don't know that the tanshos would be a great choice because of size. Lokens (either CT8 or Ape Torches) would be good choices. You're one of those people with a lot of options to choose from. I still think the EMPs would be the best though.

Dan

Comment

maybe alps because he is so big 210.

Comment

You are within 2 inches of me and 15lbs and I use the EMP's and they support me very well, I have even taken a few small jumps and landed very easily. Those boards are great for our size, the ALP's also would work, but I'd stick with a little larger board because of our size.
            Currently hosting 210 reviews on over 85 different skiboarding related items written by riders for the riders.

skiboardreview.com the largest skiboarding review site on the net.

Follow Skiboardreview.com on Twitter!

Comment

Is loken going to make a 90cm or 100+cm board next season? Or are they even making new boards?

Dan

Comment

It's in the air still I think. Revel8 has been kinda cleaning up the market, and it's hard to make new boards when you aren't selling enough of your first models to be profitable. I am nearly positive that Loken will not come out with an over 100cm board, and I doubt they will make a 90cm board since they already have the Apetorches, but anything is possible.
                I do it because I can.
                I can because I want to.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

'08 KTPs

Comment

Wow, thanks for the input everybody.

Here is a follow up question.

I see the Loken boards seem to be an inch wider across the dimensions than the EMP. What would be the characteristics of having a wider board, given equal length?

Comment

More float. And it's actually just 1 cm, not an inch. The wider boards will carve better once you're on the edge, but they do take a bit more to get them up. It will feel weird at first, but you get used to it pretty quickly.
                    I do it because I can.
                    I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

Working...
                    X