Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Skiboards for backcountry/mountain descents?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skiboards for backcountry/mountain descents?

I'm an avid snowshoer and was getting more and more jealous of the tele skiers who would pass me on the way down. I've never skied before and don't have a ton of dough to spend on an AT setup. Besides, I like snowshoeing and wouldn't like dragging those skis all the way up just so I can go down faster. I understand I can skin up but that would mean my snowshoes would become neglected. Skiboards are looking better and better (and more fun!) the more I read but I'm worried that they won't have the flotation or the ability to cut through the typical crud encountered here in the Washington Cascades. I'll use these more at St Helens/Adams/Hood moreso than at groomed parks. Would these suffice or should I stick to a Tele or AT setup? Keep in mind I've never skied before so no insane jumps or huge exposures for me. Thanks a lot.

-Dan

For backcountry, i'd say get Loken CT8s.

they are made for all mountain.

no idea what bindings, depends if you prefer release or non release.
    all the gear and relatively little idea.

riding condors

www.exclaimskiboards.co.uk

rectangle

Comment

your weight and height would help narrow down your selection of some boards. but i definitely think you would want some releaseable bindings when goin through some deep powder.

ive taught a bunch of my buddies, their first time, on skiboards.. and by the end of the day they could practically do the whole mountain, so dont worry about being complete fresh to the sport

Comment

but i definitely think you would want some releaseable bindings when goin through some deep powder.
        I was actually looking to mount some Fritschi Diamir or Silvretta bindings to some wider/longer skiboards, probably some 110's. Someone recommended the Summit 110's but they are now out of stock, any others? I'm 5'10", 180 lbs.

Comment

Originally posted by knappster
          I was actually looking to mount some Fritschi Diamir or Silvretta bindings to some wider/longer skiboards, probably some 110's. Someone recommended the Summit 110's but they are now out of stock, any others? I'm 5'10", 180 lbs.
          Hi Knappster, Backcountry skiboarding is my thing ,.. .
          Here is some information you may find useful http://www.sbol.ws/vbulletin/upload/...&threadid=2021

I modified the Spruce 120 for use with a telemark binding for backcountry ... check out the review section ..
          http://www.sbol.ws/vbulletin/upload/...&threadid=3019
          I think 110 boards are also great for backcountry . The issue with the Diamir and Silveretta bindings is that they require a fairly thick skiboard to drill to allow the ski screws to hold properly .. The Summit boards allow this .. the Spruce and the Revel 8 boards are superb boards but are not designed to support standard ski binding screws drilled directly into the board. The Spruce riser allows the use of a standard alpine release binding on any of the Revel 8 or Spruce boards by allowing the riser to use the metal inserts on these boards but does not allow an Alpine touring binding such as the Diamir or Silveretta to be used with the riser . Jeff Singer , the designer of the Spruce riser /binding system was experimenting last year with a Fritschi Diamir binding on top of his riser system but the tester found that the stack height of the riser and the Diamir binding was way too high ...
          Last edited by jjue; 01-24-2007, 09:52 PM.
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by taimos
            For backcountry, i'd say get Loken CT8s.

they are made for all mountain.

no idea what bindings, depends if you prefer release or non release.
            One option that I have not tried is mounting a LOKEN CT8 with a Fritschi Diamir Alpine touring binding .... I have not seen this board in person and maybe Greco or folks who have this board can help me out ... but I have heard this is a very stiff board that has a denser? thicker wood core then the Revel 8 boards .. It is possible that a Fritschi Diamir binding could be drilled into this board .... I successfully mounted my Canon M7 99cm with a Fritschi diamir binding -center and although I did not use it extensively before remounting the board telemark style , .. the binding did seem to hold .. The Loken CT8 might have some advantages to a nonskiing snowshoer being a shorter 99cm board but very wide ....

For those who are not aware of what an Alpine touring binding is like, or how it looks on a skiboard .. here is a picture of my 110 mounted with a Fritschi binding ..
            Attached Files
            Boards :
            Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
            Boots
            K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
            Bindings:
            Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)

Comment

Here is the binding with the heel released in tour mode :
              Attached Files
              Boards :
              Boots
              Bindings:

Comment

the CT 8 has a steel core.

just kidding. But yes they are extremely stiff and flex very little, if at all. they do hold up to abuse pretty well though. branden has some

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

For those who are not aware of what an Alpine touring binding is like, or how it looks on a skiboard .. here is a picture of my 110 mounted with a Fritschi binding ..
                  I was actually referencing your setup when I mentioned your 110's! Thanks for the links to those threads, I'm glad there are people out there interested in the same thing as me. Ski mountaineering is actually my goal in life, either as a hobby or some sort of career (I wish...).

All the options!!! It gets overwhelming but I think I figured it out:

Get a wide board with a little bit of length (100-120cm) and has sufficient thickness to be able to directly mount bindings

AT boots with climbing soles

AT bindings (Fritschi Diamir Explore, Silvretta Pure) and mount back slightly

I was curious about those Backcountry Access Alpine Trekker Adaptors. They've been pushing them here for prodeal at work here and I'm curious if they'd be sufficient. They attach to the bindings allowing a free heeled ascent with alpine boots and bindings, then removing the adaptor for downhill skiing. This would require alpine/downhill boots, which are limited for climbing, but for now they would be fine for ascents of, say, St Helens or Adams (I'm in Tacoma). I'm just worried about how well they perform (or don't) and the reliability/durability, they are pretty cheap ($179 normally). After reading through that thread, shane23parker got some killer deals on boots and bindings around the 'net, so the board is probably going to be the most expensive. Any suggestions until the Spruce 120's are more compatible with BC bindings? Or would the Loken CT8's be sufficient in length(99cm)/thickness?

Comment

The Alpine trekkers are pretty horrible ... I used them once and gave up , the whole set up is way too clunky , it puts you way too high over the board because you are in the treckers that are on top of a regular heavy ski binding , hard to edge properly ,

The Loken idea with the Fritschi intrigues me , maybe Greco can tell us whether he thinks screws could be drilled in that board safely ...
                    Boards :
                    Boots
                    Bindings:

Comment

Originally posted by jjue
                      The Alpine trekkers are pretty horrible ... I used them once and gave up , the whole set up is way too clunky , it puts you way too high over the board because you are in the treckers that are on top of a regular heavy ski binding , hard to edge properly ,

The Loken idea with the Fritschi intrigues me , maybe Greco can tell us whether he thinks screws could be drilled in that board safely ...
                      they probably could because of the core stiffness but i would defer to ola loken.

g

Comment

personally i would glue inserts in

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Ok, no trekkers, phew!

they probably could because of the core stiffness but i would defer to ola loken.
                          Ok, but what is "ola loken"?

Anyone from the PNW here? I really want to get out and rent some, give em a go. Anybody know of any rental spots around Tacoma/Seattle?

Comment

Ola is the owner of Loken Skiboards.

http://www.lokenindustries.com/

Comment

Oops, my bad. Should've done my homework... I'll send him an e-mail and see what he thinks. Have a good weekend all!

Comment

Working...
                              X