Info about releasable bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info about releasable bindings

Until recently, the skiboard community had no choice but to use non-releasable bindings on their set-ups. With technology and a bit of reprimand from all of us who took injury and put it into progression, the true greats of the industry have enabled us to have a choice beyond non-release.

Miller, Spruce, and IBS all have systems out there that accomodate our needs when it comes to skiboarding safely. Some dispute that releasable bindings aren't as solid or test-proven to handle aggressive riding or park styles, but that's not true. Both the Miller "Z" and the Spruce Riser can be set beyond their "natural" DIN setting to accomodate aggresive riding styles (the "Z" can be set to not release at all). The Spruce Riser provides ease of entrance and exit by utilizing actual ski bindings on a manufatured mounting plate which marries the 4X4 pattern on 90% of the quality boards you find in the community. Whereas the "Z" is a system the works in conjunction with a non-releasable system like Bombers, X1's, or TD1's and separates from itself when needed.

The ultimate goal was to provided skiboarders with a choice. Nobody says "don't use non-releasable bindings"...just beware of the injuries that can happen, and do happen, no matter how experienced we might be.

Although the extra expense of a releasable binding system might seem high, it brings up the question...How much are your body parts and their good working condition worth to you? For all of us who have broken legs, torn ACL's and MCL's, and watched our friends do the same...the expense isn't that high to ensure our safe riding.

SBOL is the only retailer who sells all three systems. They are NOT available through the big gun makers Line, Groove, Canon. They are more than pleased to sell you the non-releasble kind...not that they mean you harm. Just consider a releasble system for yourself.

Join the new Safe Rides Program. It's ok...nobody will laugh at you.

-Sticks
    Last edited by sticks; 02-12-2004, 03:20 AM.
    "Whether its got tits or tires...it's going to eventually give you problems" -Me

hmmm

it tempts me to get them, but they look heavier, bulkier, more to deal with, and i don't trust them.

i want everything locked down to me, i trust my body more than i do bindings, especially after having my bindings release for two days off every jump i took.. each one of those were pretty unpredictable... dont know whats going to release and what's not.

however, the braking function/lack of leashes would be useful. how well do they brake on ice, how far do i have to walk to get them depending on the slope, and how often do they flip upside down (and how well do they stop upside down)?

if i used them, i'd use the non-release function, because like i said, i trust my body more to prevent injury than the boards because i control the boards, the boards dont control me. pain is always a risk, and a risk i'm willing to take... the slope sports get so worried about getting hurt... i guess it's because so many people do it, there's less coordinated people out there, and people hear about it more because of this.

everyone's concerned about pain, which is good for when you do get hurt... but it is a bit ridiculous out there. i was on the bunny slope stopped and was showing my friend how to do a grab, as ridiculous as it sounds, i fell (cuz i always fall on the stupid stuff, always lol)... and some girl 30 feet away goes *OMG ARE YOU OKAY!?* and all i did was slide out backwards. it was nice, but ridiculous none the less.

ill check into the miller z's, thanks for the info, sticks. how well do the adjustments stay in place on them?

Comment

I don't think Miller makes those bindings anymore. I also think Rev. X discontinued their bindings and they didn't receive particularly good reviews anyway. The only binding I've heard good things about is the Spruce.

Basically, if neither skiboards.com or SBOL.us sell a skiboard product, it's probably not worth looking into because these are the only retailers in tune with the community.

Comment

sbol does sell the miller Z's and the Spruces though, according to when i looked a couple hours ago anyway. i don't know about skiboards.com. i don't know how the reviews are, i wonder that myself. and it appears as though the bindings are still being made by Miller. I went to the manufacturer site, it relinked to a new site called ridehard.com or revolution or something. then it listed Z technology for stomp-bindings and regular bindings for snowboards, as well as releasable Z bindings that are sposed to fit skiboards, twin tips, and alpine snowboards.

something worth looking into, none the less.

Comment

You're right, sorry. I was thinking of a different Miller binding.

Comment

IM starting a site, it's already up and reviews should start coming in by next week. I emailed Spruce and jeff is sending me a pair of risers(i have the bindings...) and I'll review them ASAP. Keep posted for the review.

Comment

Re: hmmm

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 865rolla
              [B]it tempts me to get them, but they look heavier, bulkier, more to deal with, and i don't trust them.

i want everything locked down to me, i trust my body more than i do bindings, especially after having my bindings release for two days off every jump i took.. each one of those were pretty unpredictable... dont know whats going to release and what's not.

however, the braking function/lack of leashes would be useful. how well do they brake on ice, how far do i have to walk to get them depending on the slope, and how often do they flip upside down (and how well do they stop upside down)?

if i used them, i'd use the non-release function, because like i said, i trust my body more to prevent injury than the boards because i control the boards, the boards dont control me. pain is always a risk, and a risk i'm willing to take... the slope sports get so worried about getting hurt... i guess it's because so many people do it, there's less coordinated people out there, and people hear about it more because of this.

everyone's concerned about pain, which is good for when you do get hurt... but it is a bit ridiculous out there. [QUOTE]

I'm sorry Bro' but you are on the path to injury. One that you have no idea how bad or how long it's going to put you out of commission...maybey for the rest of your life.

Really, pain is good? Maybey if you go to the gym (I do every day). Pain is not good...like after knee surgery. Have you done that lately? When's the last time you did a years worth of physical therapy?

The Spruce system (correct me if I'm wrong Greco/Jeff) is lighter than the X1, TD1, Extreme II's...except for the Bombers. Yes a bit bulkier..but no more capable or uncapable than any non-releasable binding out on the market. The adjustements never move or loosen nor do I have inadvertent releases (like anything trial and error solved that).

As I said before, nobody is forcing anybody to use releasables. Nor saying not to use non-release bindings. But everything you said in that last post pretty much makes the ignorant points of why people don't use them valid. Believe me ...we all trust out bodies to control the boards before the boards control us. One day you'll be the one being controlled by the boards without them asking you first. It'll hurt. Real bad too. Nothing like a free ride down the mountain in a SP sled.

Enough preaching. Use what you're gonna use. You aren't the only one. But for your own sake at least admit that you run the risk in the face of injury. You aren't superman. Neither were any of us. Oh yeah...if your non-release bindings were releasing, the set up was wrong. It wasn't the binding. It was whoever set them up loose.

It is a bit rediculous out there, isn't it? Good luck.

-Sticks
              "Whether its got tits or tires...it's going to eventually give you problems" -Me

Comment

i think we misunderstood each other a lot. you seem to be trying to get in a fight with me about this.

i was just asking you some questions about how well they worked, and why i liked non-releasable. no reason to get attitude.

as for the superman comment, i know everyones injured, even the most experienced. most injuries are caused from unexpected circumstances or where someone is unfocused. everyone loses focus & everyone encounters the unexpected.

i won't go into it, but i have had a huge share of injuries. I know I get hurt, I just don't give a shit about it. I hurt myself, get back up, and keep at it. you may call it ignorance, but i call it devotion & love, as well as the willingness to take risks for my enjoyment & progression.

i emailed a couple of the releasable binding companies. if I can find reliable proof that they release only at the necessary times, and never release on landings of jumps, i will consider getting them. if possible, i prefer to reduce risk by using releasable bindings. however, i do not want to limit my abilities on jumps.

if they work 100% as well as non-releasable on the biggest and sketchiest jumps & rails, i will probably end up getting them. however, if they release anytime where i can ride away fine, i will not get them.

yes, i wasnt blaming the non releasable bindings for coming loose, as they quit coming loose after i tightened them. i was simply recalling on an event that i hated more than anything. it pisses me off more than pain does to land & fall because of bad terrain or because my equipment comes apart. it just shouldnt happen.

you gotta be able to trust your equipment, if you can't, you can't trust yourself either. thus you won't trust tricks and won't go anywhere. i will keep riding after injury, but i will quit riding if i ever lose trust in my equipment.

peace.
                Last edited by 865rolla; 02-13-2004, 01:16 PM.

Comment

No, not fighting

No Bro'...not trying to fight. Does nothing. Just trying to outline some points. I think we put enough on the table on both sides of the table to keep people informed. You have your opinions, which I'm positive there are more who share with you those opinions. As well as, I have my opinions which I'm sure others share as well. That's the whole point of these forums...to keep people informed.

No hard feellings if I offended you.

-Sticks

Comment

I haven't tryed the Spruce Risers just yet, but I think i'll love them. One thing I was skeptic about was using non-release bindings. I do a lot of glades, and going into a ton of powder I don't klnow where the branches are. it already happened that i got stuck under a branch and fell right on my face. Using releasable bindings they would of released and I wasn't going to face plant. I'm guessing it's just a matter of opinion, but if you do get releasables, they have to be WELL adjsuted. If they arent adjusted we'll, well then your screwed.

Comment

^You probably still would've faceplanted... but you wouldn't have been running the risk of breaking your ankle/leg/knee. I'd be all for releasables if only they didn't act like risers (which is good for carving, but compromises stability). I like to be low to the ground.
                      ~How many snowboarders does it take to screw in a lightbulb? 10. 1 to do it, and 9 to say 'I can do that.'~

Comment

well I should be testing the spruce risers soon. I'm sure they arent that high of the ground. I'm guessing it's a matter of opinion

Comment

sticks, you didn't offend me. this is simply text, so it's hard to interpret everyones meaning behind things we say, since a lot of interpretation comes from tone of voice & attitude. and these smily faces just make me feel dumb lol.

glad we understand each other.

Comment

Cool

All is good.

As far as the height respects of the Spruce. From wht Jeff had said in an earlier engagement was that the Spruce Riser is actually lower than one of the regular non-releasable bindings....Bomber? But definitely lower than "Z"'s and IBS.

-Sticks

Comment

We, the ISF, have successfully tested the Spruce riser plate/release binding system this winter. We started our testing at Killington, Vermont back in December, and have continued to test the product throughout the winter at most of our events. We even took the test to Japan in January in conjunction with a Canon-Japan promotional event.

All aspects of the Spruce binding system seem to work! The ISF is highly recommending this system for those riders (and moms') that are concerned about safety. We are also working closely with Spruce Ski to develop the system to the next level.

For the sport of skiboarding to grow and get to the next level, we needed a releasable binding system that works. The Spruce binding system seems to be the answer for now.

Dean Kistler, ISF Founder and CEO
                              www.internationalskiboardfederation.org
                              Dean Kistler, ISF Founder and CEO, Hashi Group
                              www.internationalskiboardfederation.org

Comment

Working...
                              X