Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New bindings

Dear all,

I am new to the skiboarding business (have been riding snowblades for years), and wondered, if I could get some tips on what bindings to use on RVL8 boards?
    Are non release still okay over 100 cm? I am getting more and more worried, the older I get.

Also, many of my friends go on backcountry ski tours. Many of the newer boards are designed for off groomers, powder, moguls etc. But those do not come with the luxury of a ski lift. How do you guys get up there? Walk? I assume the least of you have a helicopter at hand.
    So I am wondering, can tour bindings be mounted on the available risers? Or in some other way?

Additionally, what is the difference between the Spruce and the RVL8 risers? One is more expensive than the other, but I cannot see any fuctional difference/upgrade.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Best

Piet

You need to hook up with Jjue.
    He is a backcountry king.
    He will pipe in at some point.
    If you are going to buy anything from SBOL. Use rickysentme for 5% your purchase.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

rickylink

~ KTP ~ Revolts (mucho) ~ ALP/DLP ~ BCP ~ RC's ~ Blunt~ Blunt XL~ Spliff ~ Sticky ii~ Spruce LE /Osprey~ Crossbow ~ Bomber E2 Bindings / RVL8 Receptors
    ~ Full Tilt Boots

~ Your 1 ply guy

Big or Small I Ride them All !

Comment

Hi Piet , Welcome to the forum! The RVL8 boards all have machine inserts that allow both the Spruce or RVL8 release riser/binding combos to be attached or the RVL8 nonrelease riser/non release binding , or the SBOL snowboard boot binding and riser to be attached . The boards are not designed to be drilled so you do have to use one of the comercially available riser/binding options on the SBOL store web site. The use of release vs non release is a personal preference. For myself I feel comfortable with using non release on all the RVL8 boards which are all 110 or below in length. Others prefer release on over 100cm skiboards. I am a very active backcountry skiboarder and have worked out ways to use the RVL8 nonrelease binding/riser to climb in the backcountry using climbing skins. This can be easly done with both the hardboot nonrelease RVL8 option and the snowboard boot binding riser option. I have attached a link below to show you the ways you can use the bindings to climb with . If you go with the release riser options it is much more difficult and costly to figure out how to put release touring bindings on. It can be done but means you basically drill the riser for a release AT binding and sacrifice the very nice release binding which you don't use . I have attached a link to how I have done that as well. Let me know if you have any questions.
      https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...tions-a-review
      https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...n-spruce-riser

ps . the RVL8 and the Spruce release risers are functionally equivalent. The RVL8 release riser is heavier than the Spruce release riser but has more color options. If you find the color combo you want and want a release binding/riser option I would go for the ligher Spruce option. Again , if , however, you are really interestred in getting into backcountry touring with your friends and are already used to nonrelease hardboot bindings for your snowblades., I would recommend the RVL8 nonrelease hardboot binding option which is easily modifiable for touring. It does seem that all the nonrelease hardboot options are out of stock now but are available for pre order.
      Boards :
      Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
      Boots
      K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
      Bindings:
      Zero Pro Non release Binding
      Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
      Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
      Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
      Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely check them out.

So do I get it right that touring bindings to not fit on any of the risers without additional drilling?

Also, can I ask, where do you guys go for deep snow, powder, and moguls? Do resorts over there (I am in Europe) offer none groomed conditions? With so many boards being designed for all-mountain, I cannot imagine that everybody goes through the hassle of modifying the binding in order to make the boards usable. I assume most people just use ski lifts at resorts. So how do you get powder then? In Europe ski lift means groomed snow.

Additionally, are there any suitable boards from EMAN (since they're Europe-based)?

Comment

Originally posted by piet-0 View Post
          Thanks for all the suggestions. I will definitely check them out.

So do I get it right that touring bindings to not fit on any of the risers without additional drilling?

Also, can I ask, where do you guys go for deep snow, powder, and moguls? Do resorts over there (I am in Europe) offer none groomed conditions? With so many boards being designed for all-mountain, I cannot imagine that everybody goes through the hassle of modifying the binding in order to make the boards usable. I assume most people just use ski lifts at resorts. So how do you get powder then? In Europe ski lift means groomed snow.

Additionally, are there any suitable boards from EMAN (since they're Europe-based)?
          Correct , none of the Release risers will fit touring bindings unless they are drilled which is difficult because they have already many predrilled holes and drilling the release risers voids the warranty. I am not familiar with EMAN boards .
          In the western US and in Western Canada most of the larger resorts have abundant off piste areas which are not groomed and provide powder skiing ,and moguls and are easily accessed from the lifts so touring bindings are not necessary to ride powder and off piste type terrain . These non groomed and off piste areas funnel back downhill to groomed runs to get you back to the lift.
          Here , most folks who are using touring bindings to climb are doing so outside the ski resorts as again in Western USA and Western Canada there is abundant accessible backcountry terrrain located off parking areas on the major mountain highways that is outside of designated ski resorts and not served by lifts.
          Boards :
          Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
          Boots
          K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
          Bindings:
          Zero Pro Non release Binding
          Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
          Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
          Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
          Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Whitefish Montana had cheap uphill skiing passes and designated uphill trails along the edges of some groomed runs.

Comment

Powder? It falls from the skies.

My home mountain (Kicking Horse, near Golden, BC) regularly grooms less than 15% of the official runs, and not every day. The first half of this season was lacking in snow, but generally there's always powder if you know where to find it. A good proportion of the terrain can only be accessed by short (5 to 20 min) bootpack hikes, which don't need touring gear, and there's a large amount of 'slack country' (requires touring gear but most of the uphill travel is by gondola) outside the resort boundaries.

This year was too dangerous for me to leave the resort boundaries, as we had several avalanches immediately outside of the resort, including some fatalities. Get some avalanche training and find an experienced group to go with if you're planning to get into the backcountry. Taking a course this year opened my eyes to how much our ski patrol does to keep us safe in-bounds.
              BOARDSLAYER
              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Don't forget you can buy RVL8 skiboards from https://skiboards.eu/en/

For backcountry, you have an example of a full setup being sold by a forum member ( he's in Andorra, so I guess shipping to Norway should be possible ) https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...-touring-setup

In Europe ski lift means groomed snow.
                In the recent years, I see more resorts in the French Alps leaving some runs ungroomed, to allow experiencing off-piste conditions "in resort". From what I've read, at least some resorts in Switzerland and Austria do the same. I think it's also a matter of skill - I'm now getting to the level where I want to experience more off-piste powder, and suddenly I see more and more spots that are accessible from lift-served runs, without involving "real" backcountry hiking, as I don't have such equipment myself. In the same quest for powder, I did quite a bit of reading and searching lately, and at least in the French Alps it looks like most resorts have some easily accessible off-piste places, worst case one would need a guide, but sometimes Fatmap and forums descriptions provide quite a lot of info already.

Aren't you getting a lot of powder there, up North ? What would be the place for that ? From a distance they all look great, be it in Norway, Sweden, Finland
                Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
                Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
                Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Originally posted by newbie2011 View Post
                  Don't forget you can buy RVL8 skiboards from https://skiboards.eu/en/
                  Yes, but as far as I can see, they have less models available, and also they come without any bindings mounted. I'd prefer the comfort off getting them mounted with bindings already.

Aren't you getting a lot of powder there, up North ? What would be the place for that ? From a distance they all look great, be it in Norway, Sweden, Finland
                  Defintely. Huge amounts of powder. Just resorts are scarce, since everybody is full on into backcountry touring or cross-country skiing. Resorts are more of an exception.

Comment

Yes, but as far as I can see, they have less models available, and also they come without any bindings mounted. I'd prefer the comfort off getting them mounted with bindings already.
                    Keep in mind that now it's the end of the season, so many models are sold out. But indeed, even earlier in the year, they won't have the complete RVL8 line-up available.

Regarding the bindings, mounting is very easy, as both RVL8 Receptors (or equivalent non-release bindings) and Spruce Risers need only 4 screws to attach to the boards - with the benefit of using one pair of bindings for several boards. Mounting your ski bindings of choice onto Spruce risers is also just a matter of screwing in, finding the right position according to your boot size. Once done, you can use this setup on any RVL8 or Spruce boards.

Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
                    Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
                    Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Regarding the bindings, mounting is very easy, as both RVL8 Receptors (or equivalent non-release bindings) and Spruce Risers need only 4 screws to attach to the boards - with the benefit of using one pair of bindings for several boards. Mounting your ski bindings of choice onto Spruce risers is also just a matter of screwing in, finding the right position according to your boot size. Once done, you can use this setup on any RVL8 or Spruce boards.
                      I am aware, but I don't have any boards and any bindings yet, so I might just buy a whole setup. But I'll see, maybe I am up for fiddling around with separate parts.

Comment

I am aware, but I don't have any boards and any bindings yet, so I might just buy a whole setup. But I'll see, maybe I am up for fiddling around with separate parts.
                        Have you figured out which boards would you like best ? I would start with this choice, as the rest of the setup options would depend on boards and your desired usage. If longer than 110cm, Spruce risers would be mandatory, as the mounting pattern (4x10) would not allow non-release, while for boards 110cm and shorter - both release and non-release would fit.

Comment

Have you figured out which boards would you like best ? I would start with this choice, as the rest of the setup options would depend on boards and your desired usage. If longer than 110cm, Spruce risers would be mandatory, as the mounting pattern (4x10) would not allow non-release, while for boards 110cm and shorter - both release and non-release would fit.
                          I am fairly certain about a pair of Revolts for getting started with skiboards in general, and then next season I'll probably be looking for some Condors, Blunt XLs or KTPs for powder.
                          Anything else you would suggest? Something closer to the snowblade length maybe, like Slapdash, or not necessary?

Comment

I am fairly certain about a pair of Revolts for getting started with skiboards in general, and then next season I'll probably be looking for some Condors, Blunt XLs or KTPs for powder.
                            Anything else you would suggest? Something closer to the snowblade length maybe, like Slapdash, or not necessary?
                            Revolts are reputed for being an excellent starting board, as they are sort of the goldilocks: not too narrow, not too wide, not too short, not too long, usable in all conditions - of course except deep powder. I found the KTPs to be also very all-mountain boards, not really powder oriented but can deal with it setback mounted.
                            Going shorter depends on your preference but also on height/weight, there can be a point where longer boards fit better taller/heavier people.

If you think of buying used, here are some random adds, on sale in Europe right now (I personally have no idea who whose sellers are and no involvement in those sales)
                            - https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/sport-e...kiboards-105cm
                            - https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...22678-230-7423

Comment

Revolts are reputed for being an excellent starting board, as they are sort of the goldilocks: not too narrow, not too wide, not too short, not too long, usable in all conditions - of course except deep powder. I found the KTPs to be also very all-mountain boards, not really powder oriented but can deal with it setback mounted.
                              Going shorter depends on your preference but also on height/weight, there can be a point where longer boards fit better taller/heavier people.
                              I am not tall (178 cm) but a little over weight (about 191 lbs). Hopefully losing some over summer. Anyting you would suggest, given these data? Still Revolt?
                              Also, may I ask why KTP is not for powder? What else would the width provide, if not powder capabilities?

If you think of buying used, here are some random adds, on sale in Europe right now (I personally have no idea who whose sellers are and no involvement in those sales)
                              - https://www.marktplaats.nl/v/sport-e...kiboards-105cm
                              - https://www.ebay-kleinanzeigen.de/s-...22678-230-7423
                              Thanks, the Condor one I have found too already.
                              Doesn't seem like there is overly much out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X