Advice please - Snowboarder looking to crosover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice please - Snowboarder looking to crosover

Hey all! First time posting; nice to meet everyone!

About me: I originally started skiing around 1993 on some 185s and it was frustrating. Never really felt comfortable and couldn't progress. Then I strapped on a snowboard around 1995 and did dual sport for about 2 years. I eventually found my skis sitting in the basement and have now snowboarded exclusively for the last 20 years. Both my kids ski and sometimes I find myself thinking I'd like to try something new and then I found out about skiboarding. So I'm looking to get my first setup.

"The specs": I'm 6ft, ~190lbs. I ride mostly groomers with some off piste pow pow when I can find it. Predominately east coast rider with at least one trip per season out west (CO, UT). Not looking to ride park or do any tricks. I would describe my snowboard style as always looking for that perfect flow; riding edge to edge, big sweeping carves, but not doing speed runs. I envision trying to ride in the same manner on skibaords. I currently have the Burton Step-on setup on both my boards with Photon boots.

"The quest": What skiboards would you recommend for that type of riding style and my size? I'd also like to continue to use my Burton Step-on setup on these skiboards. That way I can take snowboards and skiboards and switch during the day. Does anyone have experience doing something like this? I feel like this setup would be better than "traditional" snowbaord boots because the Photon boots are a lot more stiff and have a top BOA that can really be cranked down tight.

I did see the RVL8 “Missouri” Snowboard Binding Risers which look like a good way to go. Without knowing anything about skiboards, I've been eyeballing the Revolts, DLPs and Condors. Would you recommend camber or rocker? Other choices?

Thanks for all your help! Excited to join the club!!

- Nate

• Hi Natenstein, Welcome to the forum. I have had a lot of experience using the different RVL8 boards and the snowboard binding set up . I have never snowboarded however and come from a skiing background . I am about the same size and weight as you. I would recommend you get the full snowboard binding conversion kit sold on this site.
    • https://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8softbootkit.html
    • No matter how stiff your snowboard binding is or your snowboard boots you will definitely need a third strap with wings attached to the top of your high back to strap to your boot This provides essential lateral support on carving which is not required when snowboarding because you are always going toe to heel and not carving with the side of your boot. Without the upper strap and wings riding skiboards with snowboard boots will be frustrating and feel like you are out of control . Believe me, I have tried. You also need a riser to get you off the board to have lateral control of your edges . All the essential extra equipment is provided with the bundled kit from SBOL which supplies the Missouri riser and the top strap and wings.
    • I think otherwise your binding and boot is fine .
    • As to the board, I have found that a rockered zero cambered board is easier to pilot and control with the snowboard binding set up than a fully cambered set up .
    • I found that I pivot and slide more with a snowboard boot and binding set up then I do with a hard boot set up , although carving is really nice with the snowboard boot binding set up if the snow is relatively soft. I really like the BLUNT xl as an excellent choice for those who are transitioning to skiboarding with snowboard boots and binding .
    • I have been able to ride successfully with the BLUNTXL with snowboard boots and binding in firm icy conditions as well as had fun in soft snow as well .
    • Let me know if you have other questions.
    • Happy riding !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

jjue, thanks for the great info. Given your recommendation of the Blunt XL, how would you feel about the Playmakers?

Comment

Originally posted by Natenstein View Post
        jjue, thanks for the great info. Given your recommendation of the Blunt XL, how would you feel about the Playmakers?
        I have never ridden the Playmaker but I rode with two guys who ride the Blunt xl in all conditions (although both with hard boots and not snowboard boots) who tried out the Playmakers in firm conditions at Mammoth and they both felt the Playmakers felt like a large Blunt xl but preferred the Blunt xl because of the smaller format and easier manueverability . The Playmaker does feel stiffer when handling it then the Blunt Xl but not severely so. I think it would also be a good option for you to consider. It would have more float in soft snow then the Blunt xl and the stiffer flex might help a bit in firm snow although the trade off would be decrease manuverability. Both boards (Blunt xl and Playmaker )have the ability to set back your snowboard bindings/ missouri riser in soft snow which I think is another added plus.
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Hi, as one of those two guys that rode with JJue at Mammoth, I would also recommend the Blunt XL’s. I rode the Playmakers and feel like they are just a bigger Blunt XL. I prefer the xl’s due to their length and them being more maneuverable. I also think they would be safer to use with the non release snowboard bindings. I used the XL’s with snowboard boots and they were OK for me, much better than using them with the rockered condors. I used them until I found a very comfortable rear entry boot and then went back to release bindings. I think you would enjoy your setup with the Blunt XL’s.
          64 CM Bigfoot’s
          100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
          110 CM Rockered Condors
          130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

Hey,
            curious of a few things between the Blunt XL and PM:
            1. Did you notice any difference between the two in terms of carving groomers?
            2. How much do you weigh?
            Thanks!

Originally posted by CAN View Post
            Hi, as one of those two guys that rode with JJue at Mammoth, I would also recommend the Blunt XL’s. I rode the Playmakers and feel like they are just a bigger Blunt XL. I prefer the xl’s due to their length and them being more maneuverable. I also think they would be safer to use with the non release snowboard bindings. I used the XL’s with snowboard boots and they were OK for me, much better than using them with the rockered condors. I used them until I found a very comfortable rear entry boot and then went back to release bindings. I think you would enjoy your setup with the Blunt XL’s.

Comment

Hi mag,

I think they really rode,very similar on the groomers carving wise. I tend to slarve (slide/carve combo) I just want the more playful/ maneuverable board for myself. I am 200 lbs. I really think either would be great. It’s really down to length preference.
              64 CM Bigfoot’s
              100 CM '15 Blunt XL 2 pair
              110 CM Rockered Condors
              130 CM Spruce Osprey prototype

Comment

My 2 cents - -as a novice snowboarder, I tried to add a 3rd strap to old Flow bindings - -was never happy. I got a great deal on older Sims snowboard bindings with the 3rd strap and most important - -the Saavi Wing, which adds stiffness to the 3rd strap.

I might be the only skiboarder on a 110cm long and wide, Rockered Condor with the soft snowboard set-up. Coming from short, stiff and narrow Cambered Skiboards with Ski Boots and non-release Bomber bindings - -I now have mastered the soft boot on a wide rocker board. Only after much trial and error with my old Flow set-up. The real break-thru for me on a Rockered board was Not to sit back on heels and just Slarve - -get off the heels, up on the balls of your feet, release one edge and make the carve --Just like I would do on a wide cambered KTP with ski boots-- -I know how the Rocker helps in deep powder - -but make the long edge work on ice and groomers including 20 inches of man made snow.

If you only have one skiboard set-up with your Burtons, pick a board you will use more of the time in the conditions where you ride - -East Coast and SoCal are more for stiff, cambered or combo rocker, camber set-ups. But I have now proven to myself in 4 local rides, that I can ride the RC's with soft boots on man made and ice. Now, can i take them to the Wall at Kirkwood or Chair 23 at Mammoth?? I sure would feel at home in my ski boots and KTPs at the top of either mountain - -It will soon be tested --but not until I make it down first in my stiff, heavy, ice holding KTPs. I am betting that by the end of this season, I buy the Head Binding with SpeedDiscs to put on any and all of my SkiBoards and one SnowBoard--for the comfort of walking in snowboard boots. (Hell Yeah, who needs to strap in and out all day -- I might just abandon the K2 SnowBoard and stick to RVL8 SkiBoards - -like a shorter Blunt 88 on the Head Bindings!!)

I just studied the Burton Step in with Photon boot -- and at my senior age, I know you have a big investment and max comfort in quality snowboard gear. I recommend you buy the SnowBoard Binding Wing kit --With the ankle strap option --- that includes the wing and 3rd strap as Jjue said in his post below. Then pick a RVL8 SkiBoard that works for your snow.

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

Comment

I will add that the Burton Step-in Binding design is likely too wide for our Skiboards and will need to be on a riser - -check the dimensions and if correct, you'll need to order the complete
                  RVL8 SnowBoard Binding Upgrade Kit. It is listed under Bindings on the SBOL website.

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

Comment

Working...
                  X