Best Side-Country Skiboard for Ski Bindings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Side-Country Skiboard for Ski Bindings

Hi All. Super stoked to be part of the forums. I currently have 4 pairs of Skibaords, 2 modern RVL8s (KTP and RC) and 2 retro pairs (Taxi Cab and Twin Tip Dynastar). I am looking at building a new setup for side-country in the Utah area. Specifically I would like to build something for tackling runs like Solitudes Fantasy Ridge and some light traversing. With that in mind while the ability to skin up is required, boot hiking and climbing is the main goal.

I have boots and bindings already on hand for this setup. I specifically have some Arcteryx Procline boots and a set of Dynastar Beast 14 bindings. These in my mind will give decent downhill performance while being well adapted to climbing. My question is what skiboard to mount these on. Currently I am looking at either the Hagan Off Limits or Summit Invertigo 118s. I love my RVL8s but really want to use the Beast bindings and don't want to add a riser into the setup for simplicity and weight saving. Does anyone have any insight into each of these options, or another possibility I haven't considered. I welcome any advice, including criticism .

Hi Northern, To do what you want you will need short skis or skiboards that you can drill for your binding . In addition to the Hagan Off Limits and the Summit Invertigo's , the other option is the Summit Marauder. The RVL8 boards and the Spruce boards are out because they cannot be drilled and require some sort of riser. I have never used the Invertigos but have used the Summit Marauder with drilled Fritschi AT bindings and the Hagan with drilled Dynafit bindings. I have ridden and used Spruce Crossbows and Slingshots which are similiar in design and size to the Invertigos . I think the Hagan , Invertigos, and Marauders would be good options and just depends on what specific characteristics you want.
    Hagan's have a more ski like feel . Marauder like a big skiboard but I needed to mount it set back because it is not rockered and would tend to tip dive in pow center mount. Invertigo has got good reviews and also would be more skiboard like then the Hagan . Maximum float would be Marauder .
    I do a lot of the same sidecountry stuff you are planning and my own personal preference after experimenting with many different combinations of bindings and boards is the regular RVL8 Condor mounted with my custom tech touring binding set up on a RVL8 base riser with a Dynafit boot. .
    https://forums.skiboardsonline.com/f...d-tech-binding

Good luck !
    Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Hi Jjue!

Thanks for the info! I really like skiboard feel over traditional skis, so I think given that info I'd be more inclined to the summits over the hagans. I also do like the Marauders look, but the Invertigo is a bit shorter and they rate it just a bit better in powder. The GrooveN seems awesome also but as far as I can tell they don't sell that one without bindings. Though it's rated as highly as the Invertigos with 12cm less in length.

It does seem like almost all Summits are out stock currently though. Hagans do allow pre-order which is a plus.

Comment

I have zero experience or interest in this type of riding, so I’m of little use here, but I did purchase a set of Spruce 120s a while back that came with these custom riser plates pre-drilled for Fritschi bindings. This may help open up OPs options if they have Fritschis? If anyone wants them lmk.

FS: Backcountry Risers
        https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

By the way, for anyone interested, I ended up choosing a set of Sherpas with a set of RVL8 Risers and Attack 14s. This was after some revaluation of the need to skin up in the short term. Most of my planned side country is more boot climbs so lack of tech bindings is less of an issue, and the extra retention was desirable. Long term, I would like to use a modified version of Jjue's concept for creating a hybrid non-release binding and tech binding.

Thank you Jjue for that very informative post, and awesome idea.

Comment

Working...
          X