noob looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob looking for advice

Hey guys. Im a noob to skiboards and have been reading/lurking the forums, checking out the board selection thread, and watching youtube videos trying to educate myself. I am a snowboarder with about 20 years experience. I live in MD and ride a lot of MD/PA mountains, which means usually groomed mountains with ice patches as we tend to get a lot of warm/freeze cycles with a lot of artificial snow and not that many days of fresh powder. In my current age as a dad with a wife and kiddo, I probably go 1-3 times a season. I can ice skate and used to play hockey/inline skating, so I've been drawn to skiboards for a few seasons but never pulled the trigger. I'd call myself an intermediate snowboarder. I like long winding green/blue trails which maximize my lift-to-ride time ratio. Im 5'8, 175-180 lbs.

The group of folks I hit the mountains with are a mix of snowboarders and skiers. Id like to be able to keep my snowboard boots on all day long and maybe do snowboarding in the morning and then have the ability to throw on some skiboards for a chance of pace without having to lug around/buy a new set of boots. Therefore, im looking for a setup which works with snowboard boots and ive seen the technine DS bindings and the fiveforty bindings which look like good options but im having a hard time choosing a skiboard.

I've checked out the skiboard selection table and its been a great resource, but a lot of the skiboards I was looking at at skiboardsonline, summit, skiboards.com etc arent listed on the table. I'd prefer to buy a used set to help "ease" my way into the sport and make sure I like it before I buy a brand new set, but im having a hard time guessing when I see a used set for sale if it would work well for my height/weight combination and my preferred terrain (groomed/icy MD/PA mountains) which prioritizes stability and agility over deep powder and terrain parks.

I think ive done as much research as I can before asking for the help of the community. So I guess my main question is does anyone see a skiboard which regularly pops up in the used market which would fit what im looking for? Is there a new skiboard that might fit what im looking for?

Originally posted by philter25 View Post
    Hey guys. Im a noob to skiboards and have been reading/lurking the forums, checking out the board selection thread, and watching youtube videos trying to educate myself. I am a snowboarder with about 20 years experience. I live in MD and ride a lot of MD/PA mountains, which means usually groomed mountains with ice patches as we tend to get a lot of warm/freeze cycles with a lot of artificial snow and not that many days of fresh powder. In my current age as a dad with a wife and kiddo, I probably go 1-3 times a season. I can ice skate and used to play hockey/inline skating, so I've been drawn to skiboards for a few seasons but never pulled the trigger. I'd call myself an intermediate snowboarder. I like long winding green/blue trails which maximize my lift-to-ride time ratio. Im 5'8, 175-180 lbs.

The group of folks I hit the mountains with are a mix of snowboarders and skiers. Id like to be able to keep my snowboard boots on all day long and maybe do snowboarding in the morning and then have the ability to throw on some skiboards for a chance of pace without having to lug around/buy a new set of boots. Therefore, im looking for a setup which works with snowboard boots and ive seen the technine DS bindings and the fiveforty bindings which look like good options but im having a hard time choosing a skiboard.

I've checked out the skiboard selection table and its been a great resource, but a lot of the skiboards I was looking at at skiboardsonline, summit, skiboards.com etc arent listed on the table. I'd prefer to buy a used set to help "ease" my way into the sport and make sure I like it before I buy a brand new set, but im having a hard time guessing when I see a used set for sale if it would work well for my height/weight combination and my preferred terrain (groomed/icy MD/PA mountains) which prioritizes stability and agility over deep powder and terrain parks.

I think ive done as much research as I can before asking for the help of the community. So I guess my main question is does anyone see a skiboard which regularly pops up in the used market which would fit what im looking for? Is there a new skiboard that might fit what im looking for?
    I'd recommend the Sticky Icky . I've used it with the SBOL snowboard boot binding set up and it is a great match for groomed icy terrain. Easy to get on edge and carve with the snowboard binding boot set up. Just a bit of rocker to make smooth carving. Welcome to the forum !

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Boards :
    Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
    Boots
    K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
    Bindings:
    Zero Pro Non release Binding
    Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
    Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
    Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
    Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Originally posted by philter25 View Post
      which means usually groomed mountains with ice patches as we tend to get a lot of warm/freeze cycles with a lot of artificial snow and not that many days of fresh powder. In my current age as a dad with a wife and kiddo, I probably go 1-3 times a season. I can ice skate and used to play hockey/inline skating, so I've been drawn to skiboards for a few seasons but never pulled the trigger. I'd call myself an intermediate snowboarder. I like long winding green/blue trails which maximize my lift-to-ride time ratio. Im 5'8, 175-180 lbs.
      Aside from the SII that were recommended already, I think several boards in the 100-110cm range would be good candidates, as long as they are not too wide (like the Blunt XL). I'd be thinking first at the Rumspringa (look into reviews to double check, although I don't think you'd be too tall/heavy for them) , Revolts, DLPs/ALPs, but you can add also the KTPs, Spliffs, Playmakers. This second tier might take a little bit more adjustment to them as your first board, but the SII, Revolts, DLPs would be all good choices.

Keep an eye on the "Buy & Sell" section and on ebay, different boards pop up at different times for sale, but there's no telling as to when and which.
      Myself: RVL8 2011 KTP, Spruce 125 LE, RVL8 "Drooling Clouds" RCs, Spruce 2016 Osprey
      Daughter: Twoowt Pirania 95cm; RVL8 2015 Blunt XL; RVL8 2021 SII; Spruce Crossbows
      Past: RVL8 2010 Revolt Trees, RVL8 2014 Condor, RVL8 2009 ALPdors, Spruce 120 Yellow/Red

Comment

Working...
      X