How strong are skiboards?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How strong are skiboards?

I would like to learn some ground tricks like the ones in this video. The one where he leans forward or backward with his whole weight on just the tips got me wondering: just how much can they take? I'm a heavier rider at 100kg / 220 lb and I don't want to break the only boards I have (especially as it turns put they are the last of their kind). Can I do stuff like this with no fear of breaking them or should I be careful?
    My stuff
    Eman Uprise 104 cm (the last ones ever produced, 2021)
    Tyrolia Attack bindings (mounted directly to factory-installed inserts)

Retired:
    RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Which skiboards? Construction materials and methods play a lot into it.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
      Which skiboards? Construction materials and methods play a lot into it.
      The ones I have on order are the Eman Uprise. They are 104 cm long, ABS sidewall construction, Poplar wood core, P-TEX sintered base.

EDIT: Their website also mentions triaxial fibreglass. I think that's the topsheet.

EDIT2: I would have preferred to get a Revl8 board but I can't find risers in Europe, and these Emans have inserts for release bindings built in. Sorry Greco!

Click image for larger version  Name:	konstrukce_9.png Views:	0 Size:	110.9 KB ID:	264014
      My stuff

Retired:
      RPX 180 Crazy Crew 90 cm with drilled cheapo release bindings that eventually ripped out of the foam core. Ever heard of these? Me neither...

Comment

I believe the name of the trick I'm referring to is a "butter". My initial thought is that I should have no concern because skiboards are so short and people do this on skis, which would be a much longer lever arm. But then again, maybe skis are usually thicker and stronger than the average skiboards?
        My stuff

Retired:

Comment

No worries about not buying RVL8, I'm just glad you found proper skiboards. The Eman should hold up fine to whatever you throw at them.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Greco; 11-06-2021, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Thanks Greco, you put my mind at ease. Now I'll be able to just go out there and have fun without worry overmuch about breaking the skiboards.

​​​​​Just gotta make sure I don't break myself, but that's a different matter entirely.
            My stuff

Retired:

Comment

I suspect tail buttering in spring slush may have contributed to cracking the tails of a pair of boards I had... I've snapped tails on a couple of pairs (one in moguls, on an older pair). I'm a relatively light (150-160 lbs) but aggressive rider, albeit not much into tricks.

The more tricksy and aggressive young buck skiers I know break skis from quality brands on a fairly regular basis; all gear will fatigue eventually. I'd rather snap a board doing something cool than lose one to a core shot from a hidden rock! I've destroyed more that way and have considered just ordering boards in sets of 3 from now on. Having a second pair on hand to make sure you can finish the season never hurts. Should be good this year as I've started to accumulate a bit of a quiver and nothing has significant damage yet.

In any case, just go have fun!
              BOARDSLAYER
              Base / Edge Destruction X X X
              Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

[QUOTE=Steeps;n264044 I'm a relatively light (150-160 lbs) but aggressive rider[/QUOTE]

That's an understatement!

Comment

Who, me???
                  BOARDSLAYER
                  Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                  Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

Working...
                  X