Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interested in skiboarding from snowboarding - odd question

Hey all!

This looks like a ton of fun, found out about skiboarding on Talon Sei's channel. I'm a snowboarder that doesn't ride much anymore. I had a leg injury where I cannot fully bend my leg like I used to. Because of this snowboarding has gotten a lot more difficult when getting up from the ground and I cannot ride long anymore. It isn't as enjoyable as it used to be and I really don't want to ski. So, when I read and watched videos on skiboarding I got excited again.

My main question is has anyone tried using step on snowboard bindings on skiboards? I am probably going to use my snowboard boots and go the softboot binding route but really would like to keep using step on bindings over on a skiboard. Just curious if anyone has tried this or not. Couldn't find anything searching it on the forum and google.

Thanks Guys.

I believe Dave Cox tried the K2 clickers (if that's the name) years ago. The issue is with the lack of lateral support. Carving would be very difficult with the lack of a high back and any straps.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Comment

Hey D2,

What kind of step-in setup do you have? I've wondered if it's possible myself. One of the crucial components of making softboots work effectively on skiboards is a cuffed third strap attached to a highback ( http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/rvl8softbootkit.html ) as well as a good riser. I'd imagine that your step-in boot is pretty stiff, but it's generally believed a good ankle and toe strap over a stiff softboot is the best route for maximizing support.

Comment

Ah ya, I forgot about the third strap. Its the burton step ons. I guess adding the 3rd strap wouldn't be a huge deal if it's compatible with the binding upgrade kit. If it's something no one has tried yet then I may have to tinker with it when I get my gear.

Is there any real big cons to using soft boots and bindings over learning with some non releases? I may just grab some non releases and get fitted for some ski boots if it makes a difference.

Comment

I don't ride softboots, but from observations I've gathered that people who try to go straight to skiboards using softboots struggle. It seems that in those cases it is better to go with skiboots first until one gets the hang of skiboards, then make the decision whether switching to softboots is an option for you.

That said if you have the hard boots that alpine snowboarders use, then those should also work in non-release bindings. In reality NR bindings just required a decent lip at both the heel and the toe - even some winter mountaineering boots work to some extent.
          Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
          Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
          Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I have fitted Flow bindings to skiboards - -and found 2 major things - -you must have a riser and binding that doesn't drag too wide in turns - -i cut down the binding to narrow it - -that might not be necessary with a wider skiboard than my old old ones - - you do need a top strap and i fitted one to the Flow's but will have to make new ones as i didn't do a great first one - -if you know how to ski -to set edges and turn on one ski at a time - -shifting weight off the other leg - -you are ready to use skiboards with a soft boot -- i found that in bounds --i prefer the edge control of a hard boot --the faster edge to edge that some call roller blading on snow - -but i love the feel of soft boots --the lighter weight and walkability - -so i will finish the Flow project one day - - Flow's have a high back, are rear locking instead of straps --easier for me to bend and reach the top rear lock than watching an old man try to bend down to the lower snowboard strap - - i saw one snowboarder on the Burton Step Ins and said WOW - -have not looked into them yet --but they sure seem easy to use - -there were other K2 (?) step ins and another one but they don't seem to be favored by snowboarders much from what i see in lift lines - -so be the first to show us a step in binding that works for skiboards - - or just buy a skiboard perfected soft boot binding and use your old boots.

was on Big Foots, Cannons, Klimax Redline, 98 Line MNPs, Line ff cam and bomber bindings - new boards: RVL8 2015 SII, 2011 KTP --24 yrs non released - -skiboarding til 2050!!

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I may just go tradition softboot for now and once I get some time on the snow I'll see about testing the conversion with the step ons. After having experience it would be better to compare how the step ons are working out.

Comment

Originally posted by D2Vital View Post
                Thanks for the info guys, I may just go tradition softboot for now and once I get some time on the snow I'll see about testing the conversion with the step ons. After having experience it would be better to compare how the step ons are working out.
                As someone who came to skiboarding from snowboarding, my first concern on using the step-on bindings is the lateral support. With side-to-side/edge-to-edge support being more critical than heel-to-toe movement in skiboarding, I worry that securing points at the sides of the boot toebox will weaken over time.

Seems to me a toe strap will be more durable than the secure points of the Burtons, which I think are reeeally cool, btw.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

171cm/190lbs
                Current Favorites:
                RVL8 Yin/Yang Blunts, Spruce Sherpas (x2) & Ospreys, Coda custom Yetis v1 140
                Spruce Pro Primes w/Attack 13's (x 4), Bomber Elite 1
                Other boards I'm trying:
                Summit Custom Carbon 110, Dynastar Twin 85, Coda custom Yetis v2 145

Comment

This really depends on which system you're using. I'm not familiar with the Burton step-in design, so I don't know how much lateral stability it offers. SnowJam's F.A.S.T. system has a very robust engagement, between the boot and binding. It's very similar to what I have on my setup, except the pins are in the binding. This is true for both the hardboot and softboot versions. My sister has used the softboot version, with some success. There are two main issues. The first is lateral stiffness. The boots, although not a hard plastic shell, are stiffer than many soft boot designs. Having said that, they don't compare to hard boots, and they don't have the necessary rigidity for controlling wider boards. The second issue is the width. The SnowJam system is very wide because the pins are in the binding. In order to have the internal room for the pin springs, the binding body must be really wide. This presents a challenge, as far as clearance. The boot release is a small lever, which can end up dragging in the snow, which can result in an unwanted release.

Having said all that, I've always thought that the system has potential. If the boot could be reinforced and the release lever protected, this could be a very comfortable and functional setup. Much as I have enjoyed my setup over the years, there have been many times when I've wished for a soft boot version.
                  RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I am a noob to skiboarding but I am an avid snowboarder. In my opinion, since you have already had what seems to be a rather significant knee injury, I would suggest a releasable binding. Skiing in general is known to have more knee injuries than snowboarding, as your legs are attached to two different boards that can catch and twist you in different directions. Whereas on a board your legs are tied to the same board making twisting a knee a lot less likely and possibly twisting a back more likely.

Comment

Working...
                    X