Squaw Valley Trip - Need Input...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squaw Valley Trip - Need Input...

Taking my 2nd ever trip out West and this winter I'll be hitting up Squaw... After watching some YouTube videos, the steeps there look pretty insane! Any advice for where I should/shouldn't ski? Don't want to end up killing myself, but at the same time, I'd also like to enjoy some of the tougher terrain there (nothing too crazy though). Any advice for what lifts/runs to hit? Looks like everything is a black diamond there, but they should really be double blacks... Why is that?

Don't let Squaw intimidate you, there are plenty of blue and green runs and you won't "fall off the mountain" by accident. The YouTube videos are shot by experts so they tend to gravitate toward the really hard stuff but there is plenty of terrain for everyone. If a sign at the bottom of the lift says "experts only", "no easy way down", then avoid that lift. Regarding black vs. double black, since there is so much more terrain on the west coast mountains they had to reserve the double black moniker for the really, really difficult stuff. Back east what is a black might be a blue on the west coast.

Here is a picture I shot at Squaw from a double black diamond :-)

Click image for larger version  Name:	image_3638.jpg Views:	2 Size:	256.3 KB ID:	260795
    Last edited by Greco; 10-15-2019, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks Greco, and sic shot!

Comment

Originally posted by 716robertd View Post
        Thanks Greco, and sic shot!
        And check out the trees off of the Red Dog lift. It's the first place I ever skiboarding and where I fell in love with the feeling of floating through powder in dense trees. It's near the bottom of the mountain so it's not terribly steep.

Comment

Originally posted by Greco View Post
          Don't let Squaw intimidate you, there are plenty of blue and green runs and you won't "fall off the mountain" by accident.
          Won't fall off unless you are following jjue on one of his challenges. Wink!
          Boards/Bindings:
          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Originally posted by sempai View Post
            Won't fall off unless you are following jjue on one of his challenges. Wink!
            But, if that does happen, at least you’ll get a t-shirt!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X