Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• beginner q's

Hi everyone! Cool website here!
    I'm not a ski boarder yet, but I think Im gonna do it soon. So I have a questions. Can you help?
    TIA

Ive been snowboarding a few times and most of my friends are boarders and I wanna know if skiboarding is harder than snowboarding cuz snowboarding is kickin my ass! I wanted to skiboard cuz it looks like funa dn I wanted to use poles, but you guys are sayin that I shouldn't. Why is that and is it OK to use poles when I'm learning?

my friends say Im gonna get beat up a lot if i skiboard and i think they're joking but I don't really know. i'm from the city and im pretty tough but i don't know what its like at the resorts very much cuz ive only been a few times.

i read that skiblades are made by solomon and not very good but my one friend said something about snowlerblades (sp?) and i don't know what those are. Are they bad like solomons? should i not get them if i see them?

help!

i get asked a lot on the moutain if they are easy to use. i reply with the same thing everytime." if u can rollerblade you can skiboard.and if u cant u still can."
    Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Comment

try it. you WILL like it and end up probably having more fun than your snowboarder buddies your first day. don't be afraid about being different. most people out here in Cal are curious in a good way of what/how the skiboards are and will ask you about them.

how tall are you? how heavy? here's what i can suggest to start: get one of the snowjam setups, either 75cm or 90cm. this depends on your height or preference. i'm 5'6" and like both but just find the 75s easier to skate for me. if you don't have cash for boots, yet rent a beginner-intermediate ski boot from Sport Chalet, Chicks, etc., not sure if you're in NorCal or SoCal.

bring a hand towel to the mountain and put it down on the snow to put your boards on. stand on the boards and latch your bindings on. DO NOT FORGET TO BRING this hand towel or you'll have a tough time putting the boards on, but you could lay down your gloves, as well. after that it'll take you five minutes to get the basic feel and you're off tearing it up. if you've inline skated before, this is even easier.

have fun and tell your buddies go........have fun.
      Spruce 120s!!!
      KTPs
      BWPs
      Extreme II bindings w/ Rossignol Soft Light 1 boots; snowboard bindings w/ "strut" garage riser and boa snowboard boots; Spruce composite risers/C609 bindings
      Snowjam 75s for da kids; Summit 85s for kids' friends and the occasional odd experiment

Comment

yea dude id skip the junk boards and step right up to the revel 8's or the lokens, or look for some on ebay or something. basically you want the four hole binding patter, and skiboarding is very easy to pick up, and if you aren't afraid of some injuries you can try some crazy stuff. this is a pic of my first time trying a rainbow rail. and this went about six feet off the ground, i've been only doing rail for a couple months now.

and no poles.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Mark; 03-12-2006, 06:20 PM.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

dude thats a sweet pic

Comment

As a beginner I decided to get the Snowjam 75 and 90 with the Extreme II bindings. I got these super cheap because I wasn't sure at first if I would like skiboarding. I'm going to ride these boards till they snap.

Now that I am hooked my next pair will be Revel 8's with the Line FF Pro bindings.
            Jon C.
            Skiboarder Noobie
            Snowjam 90cm w/Extreme II
            Snowjam 75cm w/ Extreme II

Comment

good choice. Extreme II's are great bindings. Everyone says they come loose alot but i remounted mine the other day and so far ive been riding alot of park and they havent come loose yet.

www.lokenindustries.com

Comment

Originally posted by Jason
                good choice. Extreme II's are great bindings. Everyone says they come loose alot but i remounted mine the other day and so far ive been riding alot of park and they havent come loose yet.
                They're good beginner bindings, very low cost too... but after 3 runs on my first day of using them all of the screws got loose and I had to retighten. I have to remind myself to buy loctite and apply it to the threads.
                Jon C.
                Skiboarder Noobie
                Snowjam 90cm w/Extreme II
                Snowjam 75cm w/ Extreme II

Comment

Mine used to be like stripped, but i let them sit out then saturday when i was bored i decided to remount them and so far they havent come lose, and i was riding just as hard as i normally do if not harder. I love them more then my grooves.

www.lokenindustries.com

Comment

Working...
                  X