75's in powder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 75's in powder

ok, so i have my snowjam 75 cm skiboards and im gonna go out for the first time tomorrow, but its been snowing all day so im guessing it'll be aobut six inches of powder at the resort im going to. so will i be able to make it through there with my little 75's or am i just gonna have to give it up and go to my skis. i know they groom the snow at the place im going to, but i dont know if they groom it after it snows, i think they just do it after the snow gets packed down and icy. so what do you guys think?

whe i was in colorado i was using my boards in the pow and it was fine just gotta lean back and you just glide right through altho it also depends on if the snow was heavy/ wet if it was .. i would get use to having a face covered in snow
    " put on your dancing shoes, its fucking time to rock baby"

Comment

Powder

The SnowJam 75s are pretty wide, so they have that going for them, but honestly powder is not going be where they excel. Short skiboards like that are awesome for the park and groomed stuff, but you need more length to really get good powder performace. As the last poster reply said, be ready for a face full of snow, not that a face plant now and then keeps one from having fun (as long as you don't have to deal with glasses that fog up... as I just stopped having to deal with).

General consensus, as I gather it, is that 90cm is the minimum for decent powder performance, and the wider the better.

Comment

you can do it but your legs are goign to be very tired at the end of the day.

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

yeah it was pretty nice out. the blues and blue blacks were groomed and thats where i stay anyway. there wasnt too much powder so the 75s did ok.

i stayed with em all day instead of swithcing to skis. but i did notice that when i turned really sharp my boards would chatter really hard. any ideas on how to correct that or should i just not turn as sharply.

anyway i had a good day and im glad i tried skiboarding.

Comment

joe about the chattering, don't turn, carve
            think of it this way, dont try to turn your skis at all, just keep your feet together and crank your knees way over to one side, you want to really ride way up on the edges. you will feel your legs pull apart, this is normal. im not sure how well you can really do this on 75s, what kind of bindings do you have?

Comment

I have the snow Jam extreme 2 bindings.

Comment

Skiboard Technique

What Whitedime said is correct, but I want to expand on it. If you're coming from a skiing background, you have to remember a fundamental of skiboarding: a skiboard is not a ski, and it shouldn't be ridden as such. The only "skiboards" that can be ridden at all like skis are Snowblades and other boards with a similar shape. However, what you have are true, through and through, skiboards: centered stance, symmetrical tips, and wide. That means that you almost have to ride them like skiboards to ride them at all.

What this means is that you ride them in a low stance with your arms hanging down or out slightly, if necessary, for balance. It's called the gorilla stance, and it works wonders. When I'm bombing down a run, my hands are about at my ankles, my head is about level with my butt, and my upper body is very loose, swinging around as I turn. When I turn hard, I let my boards move far apart from one another, about as far as my legs will allow them, and my upper body is bent over so that I can easily touch the snow inside my turn. The videos on SBOL and skiboards.com demonstrate this better than I can explain it, so take a look at those.

Getting boards to not chatter when turning is mostly a matter of getting a feel for how a particular pair of board's edges grab the snow when turning. Try weighting the boards differently as you turn, try leaning further or not as far, etc... experiment. The gorilla stance is not an exact science, but merely a place to start.

Comment

hey joe,

the fun part about skiboards is that you can experiment. anyway, what i found with carving with the 75s is that, like whitedime said, you roll the boards over on the edges by swinging your knees over, just try weighting the boards more evenly to keep you traveling more across the mountain face. if you weight only the downhill board, you either spin out or end up doing more of a "turning" hockey stop since the boards are so short. i also keep my feet pretty close together and stand upright while leaning over into the carve. experiment.
                  Spruce 120s!!!
                  KTPs
                  BWPs
                  Extreme II bindings w/ Rossignol Soft Light 1 boots; snowboard bindings w/ "strut" garage riser and boa snowboard boots; Spruce composite risers/C609 bindings
                  Snowjam 75s for da kids; Summit 85s for kids' friends and the occasional odd experiment

Comment

on a side note i found it much easier to do some nice carves with the bomber bindings it seems like they allow you to use more of the boards

Comment

Working...
                    X