Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another noob

Hey guys,
    I've only been to the snow once before (Snowboarded) but I wanna start skiboarding. I've been inline aggro blading for several years now and I wanna buy a pair that I can take down every year. I'm looking at a pair of Line Pro 90 cm's will these be ok to start off on. Just that I don't wanna get there and be like, "Uh oh these don't feel to good". Also just some general questions, are shorter sized ones harder to control? Cause I rang up this ski hire place and they said that I don't wanna go any shorter than 99cm to start off, which kinda conflicts with what I've read on the net. And last but not least, will I be able to get the hang of em in less than 5 days?

Some Tips

Hey Enterfaith,

Welcome to the sport!

The Line Pro 90s are good boards with one pretty big exception: they don't have the 4x4 binding pattern so the bindings aren't upgradeable or replaceable. That means if your bindings break you'll have to buy whole new boards while any of the skiboards with the standard 4x4 bindings you can replace (and upgrade) the bindings. A handy thing if you decide to upgrade your bindings later or switch to releasables.

A better choice would be the SnowJam 90s.

As to whether the boards will feel right to you, there's no way to know that for sure unless you demo them or can rent them somewhere. A good way of estimating is if you could tell us your height and weight. And if you have some sort of idea of what kind of riding you want to do (groomer runs, powder, park) that would help too.

As for what the ski place told you, forget it. Most ski shops don't have a clue about skiboarding and think the sport entirely consists of people on Snowblades on the bunny slope with poles. There are plenty of people who have a blast on 75cm boards. 90cm is probably a good length to start with, but there are some factors to consider, and it is hard to really specify until we know your weight and height. Shorter boards are easier to turn on and so are more maneuverable, but the trade off is speed, stability and powder performance. Longer boards will feel less "chattery" at high speed on less-than-ideal-conditions (ie. not perfectly groomed and fresh) which is the main reasons I went with the SnowJam 99s over the 90s earlier this season. And since longer boards have more surface area, they'll float better in fresh powder. While I definitely do not recommend the Spruce 120s for a beginner, take a look at the reviews of them to get an idea of an extreme example of this.

Most people get skiboarding pretty quick. Some people are doing double blacks on their first day, but for me, after a few months at it and going at least once a week if not more, I can do single blacks under most conditions and feel like I'm not going to die, and under ideal conditions actually have fun on them. I'm still more about getting as much speed on cruiser runs as possible. So five days should be plenty of time, especially if you're on good boards.

Comment

vaticdart you sure did your homework. great reply.

g

Comment

lets not forget that skiboarding is NOT a novelty!

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Wow, thanks for the reply, very informative. Oh yes, my hight is 5' 10" and my weight is like 60 kg (no idea how much that is in pounds). Also I'm looking for an all around board, I don't think powder performance will matter that much, I'll probably be hitting the table tops or something alot of the time, however I wanna carve and ski terrain parks.

Comment

if you're gonna hit alot of rails you'll probably want the revel 8's because of the stronger sidewall construction

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Working...
            X