Today was my first time.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Today was my first time.

So I got some lightly used SnowJam 90s with ExtremeIIs off of eBay for $115. Sweet.

My friend Paul gave me his old-ish Solomon XWave 10.0 boots. Sweet.

My homey Troy hot-waxed the crap out of my boards with his iron. Hot and sweet. Like my girlfriend.

I live about an hour and a half from Arapahoe Basin, Keystone, and Breckenridge. Sweet.

I don't have classes on Tuesdays. Double sweet.

Today was my first outing. I went to Arapahoe Basin by myself at 7am (got to the mountain 7 minutes after the lifts opened, just after 9am) after stopping at a ski rental place and getting help configuring my bindings for my boots. I couldn't find a 1/4 inch hex screwdriver at home.

The place was empty, and the weather was great. Ideal conditions for me to teach myself to skiboard. Inline skills, don't fail me now.

I took a few runs on the smallest run, the bunny hill; you know, the one that's 200 feet long and makes you feel stupid. That one.

Skiboarding is pretty easy! I haven't skiied since I was... 12? And even then I did it about 5 times. even after reading how simple it is, I was surprised at just how quickly I got the hang of carving. I'm no master, but I can make pretty quick turns with only a bit of difficulty.

I went down a couple of long Greens and tried to stop as few times as I could, which got easier and easier. I feel sort of unstable when I build up much speed, but that may be because it was my first day. My quads were really killin' me after long segments of riding.

I went to the medium terrain park and hit some jumps - got some good air and landed them with almost no problem! I'm gonna get good at this quickly.

I have some questions about boot/binding placement and stance.

I had to lean back a bit more than I'd like to, or else I felt like my tips were gonna nose-dive. Is that normal? How does everyone stand on their boards?

I want to be able to lean forward a bit more comfortably so on the way home I stopped at that same rental place and used their hex screwdriver to move my bindings towards the backs of my boards a little. I haven't tried my boards like that yet. That's for this weekend.

So, please regale me with stories of your binding and boot placement, your stances, etc. Thanks kids.
    Last edited by FedoraPunk; 01-24-2006, 03:08 PM.

i have mine set dead centre - when i'm riding i lean back more going through loose snow, that way i make sure my tips won't dig in, the rest of the time i'm pretty much balanced in the middle

Comment

ya i got mine in the center and theyre perfect, i come from an inline background also. I had the tendency to lean back but the first few kickers i hit, landing on my ass solved that lol
      -Matt
      Don't argue with retards, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
      '05 Snowjams & Blue Line FF Pro's

Comment

Anybody else have some information that may help me out? Stances? Binding positions? Bueller?

Comment

Nope...thats about it.....unless you are trying to ride powder on those 90's then keep them center. If you feel like you are going to faceplant when your bindings were in the middle then you were probably riding them like you were skiing. Remember skiboarding you ride more like inlines (more upright). It will take a bit of getting used to but YOU WILL NOT nosedive. Especially on the snowjams. A more upright stance will help your riding tremendously.
          Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Comment

Working...
          X