noob question on new boards

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• noob question on new boards

Hey, I've been skiing for a bit but have had my eye on skiboards for quite awhile now. I'm new to the scene and looking to buy some used ones if i can find a good pair, however I am willing to order online if I must. I'm just looking for a few basic things to look for so I know what I am doing when I get to the used place. So far I've picked up that I don't want Salomon or 8 hole, and that snowjams are pretty good to start with. What other brands/things should I avoid and what are some other general things to know when looking at used ones? Thanks

Re: noob question on new boards

Originally posted by Coolhead540
    Hey, I've been skiing for a bit but have had my eye on skiboards for quite awhile now. I'm new to the scene and looking to buy some used ones if i can find a good pair, however I am willing to order online if I must. I'm just looking for a few basic things to look for so I know what I am doing when I get to the used place. So far I've picked up that I don't want Salomon or 8 hole, and that snowjams are pretty good to start with. What other brands/things should I avoid and what are some other general things to know when looking at used ones? Thanks
    Hmmm, well, let me just tell you my thinking when buying boards. Everyone will have varying opinions of course, but from my point of view....

I started on Salomon Snowblades like everyone else on the planet. I thank them for that. I hated that I face planted whenever I hit powder, so when I found my Snowjam 90TT's I was overjoyed that I was just banging through the powder (and I'm a big guy - 6'1" 235lb.) Why the difference? Width, tips and stiffness. As far as I'm concerned, the wider the better, as long as you can still maneuver them underfoot. I doubt if I will ever buy a smaller width than 130/110/130 - this is tip/center/tail .
    My next board will be a 140/110/140, most likely. Length, well, I wouldn't go under 90cm or over 120cm. I think that 99 to 110 is a nice length for those that are intermediates and up, but I'm not scared of 90 either. As for the Snowjam 99, I don't like that it is as narrow as it is. A departure from their shorter boards.

Makers - Summit, and Revel8 are getting nice remarks, no complaints. Snowjam, always reliable, people say 'starter boards' but so far, I like mine as good as any. Old Line boards are nice, back in the day of the 4x4 pattern. Loken, we don't know yet. The only review is by El Bajong so far, and so far it is good. We shall see. Spruce - Mr Singer is always striving to please, and he's got a nice assortment of products going - always feel safe with him.

Materials - Shy away from the foam core stuff, unless it is super cheap and just for goofing around, like on a sledding hill or something. Always go for the wood core products. They are just a better product for your money. Bases - Sintered is considered the best; it absorbs wax the best and is the most durable. When the wax leaves it, it is less forgiving than the extruded. Extruded - not horrible, I don't mind it. It is still a fast material, if it is done well, and on the snowjam it is done well. Doesn't hold as much wax, so needs waxing more frequently, but is also easier to repair. Go for sintered if you can afford it, and don't be too scared of Extruded if you can't. Graphite - well, it is an additive to sintered and extruded bases. If a base is infused with graphite, it will be a darker looking base. This just helps to make it a faster surface, I believe.

Bindings - four hole is the most versatile because it takes the better non-release bindings. Bomber is considered the best. Line FF Pro (I think made by Catek,) is probably the next best available. Some people don't like the Extreme II, but I like them. I think the only beef with them is that a couple screws sometimes work their way loose. Use locktite, and you don't have to worry anymore, and it is still a nice binding. Anything with plastic is bound to break sooner. Non- Release - Jeff Singer's Spruce products are well thought of. I have a set for everyone in my family. Sure it adds some weight, but it is probably lighter than a cast and crutches or a knee brace. I don't find that it bothers me at all. It might, if I were more of a park person. I'm not sure.

Edges and overall construction, sidewall construction is generally considered a step up from cap construction. Carbon steel edges are obviously tougher than a regular steel.

Tips and tails - I like a decent height to my tips and tails. I like at least 3cm and really closer to 5cm for my tips and tails. I like to spin and ride fakie everywhere, so a higher or twin tail (versus tip) is desireable to me.

Get a bag to help protect your boards, always wipe them down with a towel, always keep them waxed. Use a touch up wax on the slopes to keep them fast. Zardoz NotWax makes them really fly. It is like a slick topcoat to the wax. If you don't know something, ask at your skishop, but also ask here, because not all skishop techs are knowledgeable about the peculiarities of skiboards.

Well, I think that about covers my thoughts for now. Hope it helps.
    I love the mountains - summer or winter! Hiking, Biking or Snow Riding - just can't be beat.

Comment

Yo thanks, that is some good info.

Comment

Great info Mike, many thanks

Klaus

Comment

nicly put, great help for people looking to buy a new set of boards. I say stick it!
          -Matt
          Don't argue with retards, they just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience
          '05 Snowjams & Blue Line FF Pro's

Comment

nicly put, great help for people looking to buy a new set of boards. I say stick it!
            agree
            Line Five-0s w/Bomber Elites

Comment

are the old school lines sintered bases?

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

How old school are you talking? The ones you have are deffinatly sintered if that's what you were wondering. Did you get to use them yet? I don't remeber what it's called but you know when you do like a 360 spin just on the ground? well whatever it's called, you can do like a million in a row super fast like bombing a hill...you just have to make sure you don't hit anyone. It's fun though. They are sick.
                God Speed

Comment

yea i just waxed my new mick nicks up and they were WAY too fast for a while. i did a neat trick where i traded my foot position with my face...

ONE TIME I HUNG OUT WITH DAVE LYNAM IN PERSON

Comment

Working...
                  X