More newbie questions..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More newbie questions..

Yes, I am another dreaded skiboard newbie , but I have some questions maybe some of the old hats can help me with.

I am going skiboarding in 2 weeks in New Mexico, but don't know what mountain yet. Our original plan was Santa fe, but at this time they only have 5 runs open due to poor snow season so far. We will just go further North once we arrive in New Mexico (Taos, Red River, etc...). Luckily my girlfriend is a flight attendant so we can go anywhere for free at the spur of the moment. This will be my first time ever in the snow on a mountain, but I am an avid water skier, roller blader, and wake boarder.

Like many others I snatched a couple of pairs of skiboards off Ebay before I did much research. I picked up a pair of 90cm Salomon Miniverse snowblades, and a pair of 90cm Fischer Web skiboards. I also snagged a pair of Groove Retro's today off of Ebay, but after I won them I was sent a message saying:

"Dear John,
    I sent you a set of 90's ski boards. Theses are made the same way and style as the 82cm. We had a fire and all my 82 are now gone. These ski boards are I feel even better. When you get them if you feel you do not want them I will have UPS pick them and and I will send you a refund. I am sooo Very Sorry. But I do not know what else to do.
    Amelia"

So it looks like I got Groove 90cm instead of 82cm which I bid on. I was assured they are better than the Retro 82cm's.

Now for the questions...
    1. Which ones would be best for me to learn on? I am 6ft 190 pounds.

2. Do I wax the new Groove's before I use them, if so what is the best and easiest wax I can use myself? The miniverse and fischer's came waxed/sharpened and ready.

3. What are the Tip/Waist/Tail of the Groove 90 cm? My Fischer's are 105-80-95 and the Salomon's are 100-80-90.

4. No a big deal, but what color or artwork came on the Groove 90cm?

5. Any other tips for a newbie would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    JD

To be honest, if you can go anywhere to go skiing don't go to New Mexico right now. The snow here is miserable. If you can I would reccomend getting yourself up to Colorado somewhere. If you do end up in NM I would reccomend Taos. No where really has a true terrain park setup yet, and Taos has the most/best vareity of runs open of anywhere around here. But as I said, if you can get up to northern Colorado, you will be a lot happier. I would personally say out of those ride the Groove 90cm's assuming they are not the 2 hole binding models.
    I do it because I can.
    I can because I want to.
    I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
    '08 KTPs

Comment

SkaFreak,
      Taos is our first choice after Santa Fe. We chose Santa Fe for the ease of travel, and less skier's since I have never skied before. We are just looking to cruise the mountain, don't think I am ready for park action just yet The Groove 90's are 4 hole.

You like Ska? We just went to the "English Beat" concert here in Houston a month or so ago

Thanks,
      JD

Comment

Santa Fe is actually generally a really crowded mountain. Taos is generally pretty clear of crowds on the mountain itself because it is pretty big, so if you're looking for cruising that is the place that I would reccomend. If some freak storm hits us that allows every resort to open 100% then Angelfire would be the place for you. If the Groove's are 4 hole I would definately say to ride them, unless you are looking to get rid of them in which case I may have a talk with you after you get them, heh. I do love ska and that is awesome that you got to see English Beat. I'm actually in a ska band that will be opening for The Toasters in March. I'd send you a link, but we don't have anything recorded quite yet, we're in the middle of it at the time. So are you going to fly into ABQ and then drive out to wherever you're gonna skiboard?
        I do it because I can.
        I can because I want to.
        I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
        '08 KTPs

Comment

Yes, we are flying into ABQ on Monday Jan. 16th, and leave back out on the 19th. Just a quick early week trip, but if I get hooked on skiboards I can travel weekly monday through thursdays since I just DJ on Thursday nights-Saturday nights.
          My taste for adreneline may drive me to get better boards VERY fast, so I will let you know about the Groove's

JD

Comment

I would for sure start out riding the groove 90's. The other 2 sets of boards you should re-sell on ebay. The solomon and the fischer are just short ski's. The ride and performance of the will feel NOTHING like skiboards. So enjoy your first experience on the grooves and if you can upgrade to something better....it will be way worth it for sure.
            Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Comment

Working...
            X