Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• colorado noob

hey folks,

hopefully not longwinded, got some questions about skiboarding maybe someone can help me out with. I live in Colorado and have been snowboarding for about 3 seasons now. I enjoy snowboarding but in the off season im usually at the skate parks with my fruit boots. Been inline skating since i was about 10 years old. Tried skiing for awhile..didnt stick. So there i was, coming down a run in breckenridge this last weekend and i see a dude on some really short ski's. I catch him at the end of the run and ask him what they are. To which he replies they are some rented snowblades. he said they were alot of fun and pretty easy to learn. I figure since i've inline skated all my life this might be a better fit for me than snowboarding. I'm kind of getting burned out on the ridgidness of being on a snowboard (maybe its just me but i feel less manueverable on a board). My questions to you guys.

1) Are these easy to learn given my inline skating background?
    2) Are skiboards, not blades, easily rentable in CO?
    3) I'm about 5'6", what size boards should i be looking for?

thx for your time guys

welcome to SBOL.

yes skiboarding is much easier to learn than skiing and snowboarding especially with your inline background.

most mountains rent salomon snowblades which will give you a good idea if you'll like the spot but i can't emphasize enough to not purchase them but instead get something wider, with the universal 4x4 insert pattern and quality bindings. (it difficult to rent these types of boards as most shops only know salomon snowblades)

since you're 5'6" you might want to consider boards in the 90-99cm range with non release bindings and if you went with releasables you could go as long as 120cm. shorter boards will feel more like inline skating, longer boards will allow you to carve faster while maintaining your edge and benefit you in landing jumps and riding colorado powder.

g

Comment

For Colorado do not go below 90cm, and if you plan on waiting until at least Febuary to buy I would say hold off and get the Loken boards when they come out. THey will be a perfect length for you and you will definately want the width and length for Colorado powder. Where in CO do you usually ride? I live in New Mexico and take a trip up to some of the southern mountains up there every once in a while. I've been to Wolf Creek once this year and will probably make it up there again and am planning on hitting Durango and Monarch the First weekend in March.
      I do it because I can.
      I can because I want to.
      I want to because you said I couldn't.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

Spruce Sherpas with Prime Pros
      '08 KTPs

Comment

so...i'm told i wont be able to rent any skiboards anywhere...so i'll just have to sack up and buy a starter pair

was thinking

SnowJam Scorpion 90cm Skiboards with the SnowJam Extreme II bindings...anyone think thats a decent starter set?

Comment

that's a great starter set. shouldn't really be considered "starter" since they are such high quality but they are inexpensive and shorter so starter applies.

g

Comment

ditto

Hey guys! My first post here. I'm in the *exact* same boat as Compton.

Tried skiing a long time ago, didn't love it. Been snowboarding in Colorado for the past 3 seasons. I can do it pretty well because I'm athletic, but it doesn't feel natural like inline skating does (which I've been doing for 9 years).

I'm seriously considering selling my snowboard, boots and bindings for a set of skiboards.

I ride at Breckenridge, A-basin, and Keystone. Lots of nice powder here in CO.

I have a slightly different set of questions.

I'm 5'11" 175lbs - is 90-99 too short for me? I really want the feel of inline skating - I don't need to go 50mph (I do love going fast - it just isn't my top priority) or carve super deep. I just want a performance experience equal to, or preferably greater than my Burton 157.

Compton(or anyone), have you found any place we can rent non-Salomon skiboards? On the mountain, perhaps? Skiboards.com has them in Bayfield which is 8 hours from Denver (yuck), or does them by mail which is really expensive.

How much do boots matter? Should I be looking for a extra soft, or hard.... are there any specific specs on a boot that are good for skiboarding?

Thanks guys.
            Last edited by FedoraPunk; 01-06-2006, 11:14 AM.

Comment

hey man, i spent all last week calling around to different rental shops trying to find a place that rents skiboards not snowblades. Basicly..no one will rent skiboards and most places that have snowblades have a very limited selection. I talked to Klae who works at colorado ski & golf and he confirmed that there probably isnt a place that will rent a real skiboard in this state. Best place for blades i've found is that rental shop right off of I-70 up near the loveland resort. They have a grip of snowblades and its only 13 bucks for the complete package one day rental. However, i figured since i loved inline skating so much i'd take a risk and just went ahead and bought a pair of boards and bindings. Hopefully will be getting them next week to try at breckenridge on saturday.

Comment

FedoraPunk, for you 90-99 cm boards would work but I would reccomend going the 99 route. 90's will work for you, but even if you say you don't care now, you will most likely end up getting to the point where you can outride your boards. If you are gonna go with upper 90's your best bet would be to wait until early febuary and grab a pair of any of the 3 Loken boards. They have great specs and should perform great in powder. The longer the board the less it will feel like inline, but the more stability you will have. I myself used to inline a lot (and will probably get back into it soon) and I started out on 84's but moved up to 99's after a couple of seasons and am planning on getting a pair of the Revel8's (105's) as soon as I get the cash simply because the more surface area you have the better the ride will be, espescially through powder and crud. And just because I can't resist, fedora's are awesome.
                I do it because I can.
                I can because I want to.

"The butterflies in my stomach have flown up through my throat and learned to love the open air." - World/Inferno

'08 KTPs

Comment

You will find thay most places don't rent skiboards. Some do rent junk stuff like solomon mini max or other things in that catagory. I just bought a pair when I first started and I have never looked back. I also come from ski and snowboard beginings and there is no comparison. This sport is just all out fun. If you dcecide to just do it you can always buy a cheaper yet high quality set of boards like Snowjam 90cm or 99cm and then upgrade later as your riding progresses.
                  Live and ride like there's no tomorrow...because tomorrow might not be here for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SkaFreak
                    For Colorado do not go below 90cm, and if you plan on waiting until at least Febuary to buy I would say hold off and get the Loken boards when they come out. THey will be a perfect length for you and you will definately want the width and length for Colorado powder. Where in CO do you usually ride? I live in New Mexico and take a trip up to some of the southern mountains up there every once in a while. I've been to Wolf Creek once this year and will probably make it up there again and am planning on hitting Durango and Monarch the First weekend in March.
                    hey just curious, is the snow in colorado way different than the snow in tahoe? I 've spent alot of time in tahoe powder on my 90cm canon heritage's and done fine(though with much quad burn from leaning way back). for someone my size (215lbs) I woulda thought I woulda sunk on a 90cm board but they've been doing well

Comment

I haven't ridden Tahoe ever, but I'm betting that it is not too different. G might be able to answer that one though, if he's ever ridden in CO or anywhere else in that area.
                      I do it because I can.
                      I can because I want to.

'08 KTPs

Comment

well the snow here in Colorado is more dry and the snow in tahoe is more wet....
                        -have you seen my poopie??

Comment

I'm on a limited budget (for now), so I'm focusing on the Snowjam 90s and 99s.

Again, I'm 5'11 175lbs, and I do mostly blue and blue-black runs and medium park stuff.

I like going fast, but I'd rather take my time and enjoy the runs.

I really want an inline-skating type experience.

Will I find the 99s too long? Won't the 90s turn more sharply? How much performance difference is there between the two?

I'd appreciate any info you guys can give me comparing these two.

Comment

Re: 9

Originally posted by FedoraPunk
                            I'm on a limited budget (for now), so I'm focusing on the Snowjam 90s and 99s.

Again, I'm 5'11 175lbs, and I do mostly blue and blue-black runs and medium park stuff.

I like going fast, but I'd rather take my time and enjoy the runs.

I really want an inline-skating type experience.

Will I find the 99s too long? Won't the 90s turn more sharply? How much performance difference is there between the two?

I'd appreciate any info you guys can give me comparing these two.
                            How you doing Fedora -
                            My family rides a whole stable of boards.... we've got 88cm K2 Fatty's, Snowjam 75TT, Snowjam 90TT, Line Five-O's 90cm, Line Mike Nick Pro 98cm boards, Line FF Pro bindings, Extreme II bindings, Bomber Bindings, Spruce Releasable and Spruce Pro Releasable, Line Fly, etc.
                            As far as the differences, well, the Snowjam boards are usually considered a stiff board, but seem to be very versatile if you don't go too long. I think the 99cm in the Snowjam may be a little too much for someone that is very light as it would take more work (aggressiveness) to make it ride well. Personally, I think I would like a Snowjam 99 board, but they cut down on the width, and that didn't sit right with me. I like the width and ride that the 90cm Snowjam gives me. I am 6'1" 230lbs. My wife likes the Snowjam 90cm also. So far it is her favorite. My daughter's favorite is the 90cm Line Five-0. She is the lightest of us, only 115 lbs. The Line Five-0 has more flex than the Snowjam, so I think for her weight it is more forgiving. The K2's are nice starter boards, but we only give them to people who want to try some or want to learn about them. My son is actually the shortest of us (he's only 12), and he is riding the 75's for now. He's got such short legs, I don't dare put him on anything longer yet. They all use releasables, so their rides are a little heavier than a non-release binding board. I use a combination of bindings. I like them all. On my Mike Nicks, I tend to use the releasables. I like the Mike Nick, but I feel that my heavier weight makes them chatter a bit at speed given the flexibility of the boards. The shorter 90cm Snowjam is actually more stable for me, at higher speeds. I think that I may buy a longer board soon, maybe the medium or stiff flex Summit Custom 110, or the Revel8 board sold here. The Mike Nick is actually a 101cm board, if you measure along the base, so it is nearly as long as the Revel8, so I don't feel that going to the 105 board would be too big a stretch for me. I think I could still skate with those alright. I'm not sure about the 110, and being able to skate with it. I can tell you one thing for sure... I like a board that is at least 130mm wide at the tips and tails, and 110mm in the middle. I also like tip and tail to have a decent height because I like to spin and ride fakie. Anything anti-pow-face-planting is up my alley. Hope that helps some. I'll be in Monarch the 11th through the 13th of March, and I might be in Summit County somewhere or possibly Winter Park one of the last two weekends of February. If you could connect up with me, I could possibly get you on some of my boards to try.
                            I love the mountains - summer or winter! Hiking, Biking or Snow Riding - just can't be beat.

Comment

Well, i finally got back in town and yesterday was my first day on boards. Went to breckenridge. Alot of people but wasnt too bad on some of the back mtn blacks. I must say..i havent been on anything ski oriented since i was maybe..14....and i picked these up quick. Hit some jumps and rails and was really impressed with the stability of these boards in deep powder and off most of the booters at breck. Even slid into the halfpipe once..didnt go as well as i had hoped. After a full day of boarding i think the snowboard is going to be garaged for the rest of the winter. Only complaint i had was that my bindings came loose after about 4 runs (even though i wrenched them down the night before) anyone use loctite on these? which color? well thats the story of my first day of boarding...was a blast..even saw 4 or 5 other skiboarders on the mountain.

Comment

Working...
                              X