Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New thread of updates on my 2 previous posts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New thread of updates on my 2 previous posts...

First off, I wanted to thank everyone that has commented and helped me in this short time of re-discovering love of the snow. Since deciding that I wanted to do this again, last night marked the 2nd time out. I mainly just hung around the beginner runs, ventured into the intermediate a few times, but the relaxing back and forth, weaving in and out of the side cut trails, this is what I'm looking for.

The boards....
    So the sale for the MNP never worked out. If anyone is in the Hartford, CT area, check out facebook marketplace. I purchased a set of Head Liner 94cm boards from someone local to me. They are older boards but in wonderful shape with Tyrolia bindings. They are noticeably "thinner" than the Salomons that I had, and a lot more flexible. They flex is a lot more forgiving and fun than the rigidity of the Salomons I'd imagine the wood core in the Heads makes the difference. The shape is nice with a decent side-cut to add the control I was looking for. They are ALOT more stable than the Salomons. I had no issues going faster and with the deeper side-cut was able to control and stop or slow down. I know these are just starters for most, but for me, it's what I'm looking for. I am using them to "ski." I'm sure at some point I will upgrade to maybe a little wider, maybe a little longer, but for now, I'm very happy with my purchase.

The boots...
    My boots are Lange Vector 7. I purchased them used. They were used once with a scratch. They were not fit for me, but they work. I plan on using them until a local shop has a pair for sale. I plan on taking them on the off season to see if there are any adjustments that could be made to make them a little better for me. I do not get sore from them, no blisters, no pressure spots, and they are 1,000 times better and more comfortable than rentals. I'm sure with a few little adjustments I could have them for a long time.

The only thing that will be left for me in the off season is to find a nice set of pants or bibs(don't know if anyone even uses them anymore) to replace my sweatpants under wind pants that I am doing now. And gloves... I need to find a nice set of gloves. Both may actually be done at a local shop this weekend with the 50% off sale they are having.

Thanks again to everyone in this forum for being absolutely non-judgmental and offering all of the advice that you have given. I can honestly say that as obsessed as I am with golf, I am okay with the snow hanging around a little bit longer to enjoy the rest of the ski season.

Mike
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

I’m so glad to hear that you found some gear that works for you, and you’re having fun! To me, that’s the real joy of skiboards; forget about technique and “rules”, just do what works for you and have fun doing it!

Good quality pants (or bibs), and gloves are a real must-have in my book. If you’re wet and cold, the day is lousy. (Note: if you ride with kids, this becomes evident quickly!). There’s so much great garment technology these days, you should definitely invest in some good gear. If you’re able to shop online (because you can predict your size easily), evo.com usually has some really great deals.

Comment

Well I hit the jackpot on being thrifty. I found a great set of pants (fluorescent yellow - bright, not construction yellow) for $27 (75% off) and a pair of gloves also for 75% off. Ready to hit the mountain again!!!

I am going to do the heated rice in a sock trick this weekend and see if I can mold the boot liner a bit to maybe feel a little better. I haven't done this, and the feel pretty standard like they weren't molded before. I also realized that I don't have an insert in the foot bed of the boot liner. I think this would add a little comfort to the boot as well. If anyone has any tips/suggestions regarding this process, let me know. I hit up a few YouTube videos for instruction.
      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
      2012 Salomon SPK 90
      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
        I am going to do the heated rice in a sock trick this weekend and see if I can mold the boot liner a bit to maybe feel a little better. I haven't done this, and the feel pretty standard like they weren't molded before. I also realized that I don't have an insert in the foot bed of the boot liner. I think this would add a little comfort to the boot as well. If anyone has any tips/suggestions regarding this process, let me know. I hit up a few YouTube videos for instruction.
        Have you checked with a ski shop to see if they'll heat them for you? Most shops should have the equipment, and I'd think at least some would be willing to do it for a minimal charge.

Sounds like you're set for boards for the moment, but the Canon M7s that Toro has for sale at the moment are a great option if you are looking to go a little longer, wider and skiboardy. I rode these for decades before stepping up to newer equipment last season.
        BOARDSLAYER
        Base / Edge Destruction X X X
        Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

....I also realized that I don't have an insert in the foot bed of the boot liner. I think this would add a little comfort to the boot as well. If anyone has any tips/suggestions regarding this process, let me know. I hit up a few YouTube videos for instruction.
          Footbed options:

Expensive Option -- Go to a SureFoot Store .... These are by far the best footbeds (and they know it and charge for it). If you want to improve your skiing, running, golf. skating, or anything that requires the use of your feet their custom measured footbeds are the best. I have them in my ski boots and ice skates and it changed my life. I think the low end cost on these is $200 but once they have you measured you can call up and order replacements.

High End Option with potentially low/no cost -- Have medical orthotics made for you. This usually involves meeting with a foot doctor where they take molds of your feet and send them out to get made. In a few days you return to pick them up. Most health insurance covers part or all of the cost. This is the way my wife went with her boots. She has several pairs of orthotics that she uses both in her ski boots and running shoes. Our insurance covers all but a $20 copay for up to two pairs a year.

The budget/easy option -- Try the Dr Scholls insole machine at any CVS, Rite Aid or Walmat Drug Store. You simple strip down to your socks, stand on the pressure plates, and it recommends an insole from their line up for your boots. This is typically around $40 bucks but there are always drugstore coupons out there to knock the price down. I tried these for a pair of work boots that were bothering me and I am very happy with the results. They're not on par with my Surefoot footbeds but are good enough and a softer fit. While you feel a bit goofy standing in your socks in the back of a Walmart to get "measured" I have found these are much better than trying an off the shelf insole.
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
            Have you checked with a ski shop to see if they'll heat them for you? Most shops should have the equipment, and I'd think at least some would be willing to do it for a minimal charge.

Sounds like you're set for boards for the moment, but the Canon M7s that Toro has for sale at the moment are a great option if you are looking to go a little longer, wider and skiboardy. I rode these for decades before stepping up to newer equipment last season.
            Thanks for the reply Steeps. I was on the mountain yesterday and met a guy with some RVL8 boards. They were beautiful looking and I will probably end up going with a pair of RVL8s or Summit Ecstatic (which were recommended from Doc). Until then, I am extremely happy with the Head boards that I have now. I know they are not completely "boards" but they are comfortable for me and for what I want (shredding on the groomers, quick turns, quick stops, etc.) they are perfect. I don't do the backwards stuff, spins, jumps, rails, etc. I just want them to "ski"
            Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
            2012 Salomon SPK 90
            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
              Footbed options:

Expensive Option -- Go to a SureFoot Store .... These are by far the best footbeds (and they know it and charge for it). If you want to improve your skiing, running, golf. skating, or anything that requires the use of your feet their custom measured footbeds are the best. I have them in my ski boots and ice skates and it changed my life. I think the low end cost on these is $200 but once they have you measured you can call up and order replacements.

High End Option with potentially low/no cost -- Have medical orthotics made for you. This usually involves meeting with a foot doctor where they take molds of your feet and send them out to get made. In a few days you return to pick them up. Most health insurance covers part or all of the cost. This is the way my wife went with her boots. She has several pairs of orthotics that she uses both in her ski boots and running shoes. Our insurance covers all but a $20 copay for up to two pairs a year.

The budget/easy option -- Try the Dr Scholls insole machine at any CVS, Rite Aid or Walmat Drug Store. You simple strip down to your socks, stand on the pressure plates, and it recommends an insole from their line up for your boots. This is typically around $40 bucks but there are always drugstore coupons out there to knock the price down. I tried these for a pair of work boots that were bothering me and I am very happy with the results. They're not on par with my Surefoot footbeds but are good enough and a softer fit. While you feel a bit goofy standing in your socks in the back of a Walmart to get "measured" I have found these are much better than trying an off the shelf insole.
              So I actually ended up getting a pair of Sure Foot footbeds. Thru a friend of a friend, they ended up being free. Those mixed with the correct thinkness sock has given me a great sense of comfort and rhythm while skiing. I have progressed quickly from green circles to black diamonds with the added "comfort". I tried a double diamond, but didn't make out too good with the moguls. I can do the diamonds easily, but need/want to work on my technique before advancing further.
              Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
              2012 Salomon SPK 90
              2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steeps. I was on the mountain yesterday and met a guy with some RVL8 boards. They were beautiful looking and I will probably end up going with a pair of RVL8s or Summit Ecstatic (which were recommended from Doc). Until then, I am extremely happy with the Head boards that I have now. I know they are not completely "boards" but they are comfortable for me and for what I want (shredding on the groomers, quick turns, quick stops, etc.) they are perfect. I don't do the backwards stuff, spins, jumps, rails, etc. I just want them to "ski"
                Glad to hear you're having fun! I'm also not big into tricks and just like to ski, albeit on the toughest terrain I can tackle without dying. I think you'll really get to enjoy moguls once you have time to work on your technique; having the ability to turn quickly makes it a whole different experience than on skis. I've been enjoying the moguls with spring snow, which slows things down a bit and makes it easy to flow through the bumps.

(Also, I'm trying to find Toro a buyer to prevent myself from picking up those M7s for old time's sake )
                BOARDSLAYER
                Base / Edge Destruction X X X
                Cores Snapped X X X

Comment

So I actually ended up getting a pair of Sure Foot footbeds. Thru a friend of a friend, they ended up being free.
                  You can't beat that deal - I'd like to meet that friend

I tried a double diamond, but didn't make out too good with the moguls. I can do the diamonds easily, but need/want to work on my technique before advancing further.
                  White Lightning at Montage? That's one huge step to get into those super steep car sized moguls!

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                    You can't beat that deal - I'd like to meet that friend

White Lightning at Montage? That's one huge step to get into those super steep car sized moguls!
                    Not White Lightening, not yet at least. I tried Smoke. It doesn't look horrible and I do okay until I hit the moguls. Maybe Wed. I will try again. I was up there one Sunday and met a guy from Avoca with some RVL8s. I forget his name but we were talking and mentioned a guy from Clarks Summit named Tom... He was the first I've seen there with boards. I saw another guy over on the diamond lifts with a set, he was killing it with some poles and flying down the slopes. Unfortunately didn't get to meet him.

Cannonball is by far my favorite so far.
                    Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                    2012 Salomon SPK 90
                    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Originally posted by Steeps View Post
                      Glad to hear you're having fun! I'm also not big into tricks and just like to ski, albeit on the toughest terrain I can tackle without dying. I think you'll really get to enjoy moguls once you have time to work on your technique; having the ability to turn quickly makes it a whole different experience than on skis. I've been enjoying the moguls with spring snow, which slows things down a bit and makes it easy to flow through the bumps.

(Also, I'm trying to find Toro a buyer to prevent myself from picking up those M7s for old time's sake )
                      Alright, I'm a golfer at heart so I have a lot of experience with being sentimental... my advice, JUST BUY THEM!!!
                      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                      2012 Salomon SPK 90
                      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

I was up there one Sunday and met a guy from Avoca with some RVL8s. I forget his name but we were talking and mentioned a guy from Clarks Summit named Tom... He was the first I've seen there with boards.
                        That was dean.ceccoli that you met - he has a pass at Montage and also gets up to Elk every now and then. I've had the pleasure of riding with him a few times. There is another girl that is from around here that rides RVL8 Spliffs - she was at Elk a bunch last year, but Dean said he has seen her at Montage this year. I don't think she participates here on the forum.

Comment

Originally posted by macrophotog View Post
                          That was dean.ceccoli that you met - he has a pass at Montage and also gets up to Elk every now and then. I've had the pleasure of riding with him a few times. There is another girl that is from around here that rides RVL8 Spliffs - she was at Elk a bunch last year, but Dean said he has seen her at Montage this year. I don't think she participates here on the forum.
                          Hopefully we will run into each other. I purchased the pass at Montage a little over a week ago and have used it 5 times already. 3/4 of it will be paid for before next season even starts. We only talked up one lift, but a nice guy. He was going to play in the terrain park and I was heading down to Cannonball.
                          Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                          2012 Salomon SPK 90
                          2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Working...
                          X