Help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!!!

So after 15 years of not being on the snow I decided a few weeks ago that I miss it. I purchased boots, helmet, goggles, and eventually a set of Salomon SB9 Snowblades. I finally went last night and had a blast. The blades worked good except they are too small. They are only 83cm. They fit the purpose but I would like something more stable and a little longer. There is the thing, I am cheap. I try to find the best deal I can. I have found a used one time old set of MikeNick pro blades. They are 98cm and in brand new condition. Here is where I need the help... are they worth buying or am I wasting my time. They are only $45. Should I keep looking or go with them? If the Salomon were 100cm I wouldn’t be even looking. I just want a set to ride the slopes. No parks or jumps, just basic skiing. Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Skis/Skiboards:
    2019/2020 Lib Tech Backwards 166cm with Marker Squire 11 Bindings
    2018 Spruce "Woody" Sherpa with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track
    2018 "Dave's Face" DLPs w Snowjam Non Release Bindings
    2016/2017 Rossignol Soul 7HD 164cm with with Marker Griffon 13 DM Track

2011 Spruce "Blue Board" Sherpa
    20?? Spruce Sherpa "White Board" Prototypes still in plastic

Boots:
    2012 Salomon SPK 90
    2011 Salomon SPK Kaos 100
    2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

If you’re comfortable with 100cm, MNPs for 45 are a steal. One thing I will mention though is are these one of the earlier models that accept 4x4 skiboard bindings or the later ones with the built-in bindings? I have no experience with the latter but I know a lot of people are not a fan of that binding interface.

Aside from the questions about bindings the MNPs should be great boards for your needs (sub 100cm, well built, cheap, groomers only)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

They are the ones from 00/01 with the 4x4 bindings.

The thing is, I don't know what size I'm comfortable with. I want to feel stable (should mention I'm 5'9 and 280lbs) but not have a board that go too fast. I just want a nice relaxing ride. I'm going to hit up the ski shops by me here in PA since the season is coming to an end and see what I can find. If those MNP boards don't work out I will just end up getting something else. I just want to find something that I'm going to be able to enjoy and not pay a ton for.

Anyone have any feelings on the WSD boards that can be found on Amazon?
      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
      2012 Salomon SPK 90
      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

If they are the 00/01 model you should pick them up for that price since that’s a great deal. If you were able to ride 83cm you should find the 98 much more stable.

For more stability you could get modern skiboards that are wider, but then the cost will increase. Revolts or Sticky Ickys will probably come the most recommended, but you’d likely only be able to get a ‘deal’ on Revolts.

The forum has had generally negative things to say about Winter Sports Deals (WSD) so I’d steer clear despite attractive pricing.

Hopefully others will chime in so you get more than one viewpoint. Welcome to the forum!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mvhoffman View Post
          ....Anyone have any feelings on the WSD boards that can be found on Amazon?
          Avoid WSD at all costs. WSD is a company who's full name is Winter Sports Deals based near me in NJ. As far as I know they are a small ski and surf shop and what they sell online is mostly used gear or factory seconds. You will regularly see them selling RVL8 or Twoowt boards on Ebay. All of those boards are factory seconds that they have somehow gotten their hands on. They can be a good deal but this a "buyer beware" situation that you'll likely get mismatched boards or boards with at least cosmetic defects. Their branded WSD skiboards are low quality boards. While these are new boards made for WSD they are not of the same quality as RVL8, Spruce, Summit, Twoowt, and others you'll see mentioned on this forum.

If you are looking to get into skiboarding at a good price the options I would suggest are:

1) Buy a gently used RVL8, Summit, or Spruce set-up from a regular forum member. Ask for pictures of the bases and sidewalls before committing to a purchase and, if possible, find someone local to you so you can see them in person before you buy.

2) Buy a new set of Blades from Level Nine Sports. These are great starter boards. Their smaller footprint narrows the performance envelop but they are are a blast on grooms. Once you out grow these they make fantastic loaners
          https://www.levelninesports.com/defi...nowblades-2018

3) Pick up a gently used and well cared for older set of high end skiboards that are no longer in production. The old LINE MNP are a great example. Brands to look for Canon, LINE, etc.
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks a lot everyone. I really appreciate all of the information that you have given me. I am working out the deal for the MNP boards, I should know for sure this afternoon/evening. I am looking forward to getting them and getting out there. I am glad that I found this place. Again, thanks for all of the help.

I have to throw a thanks out there to Doc at Skiboards.com as well. He has answered a few of my questions on facebook as well as the phone when I called. If anyone knows him personally, be sure to thank him for me.
            Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
            2012 Salomon SPK 90
            2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

We have several members from your part of the country. Post a new thread in the Meetup forum with a date and resort you'll be going and ask for some demo rides. Lots of people here share boards to demo.

Comment

... I am looking forward to getting them and getting out there. I am glad that I found this place. Again, thanks for all of the help....
                Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                We have several members from your part of the country. Post a new thread in the Meetup forum with a date and resort you'll be going and ask for some demo rides. Lots of people here share boards to demo.
                Good point. I just noticed the PA location. Where in PA? There are a bunch of us that ride in NE PA (JFBB, Elk, Camelback, etc) and some riders around Seven Springs in western PA.
                Boards:
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

NEPA... Old Forge

I can see the slopes of Montage from by back yard. I was just at JFBB on Tuesday night. I will probably get the season pass for Montage next year, since it is so close it will be easy to go from work at the hospital to there before home. My wife has no interest in winter sports so it would be a few hours here and there during the week, which really is all I want.

So let me ask... is there a preference on footwear? I currently have ski boots, which are fairly comfortable, but I have noticed the option for snowboard bindings and boots. The MNP board has the 4x4 pattern which would be easy to mount snowboard bindings onto. Again, just for comfort and ease of use, not really for "performance."
                  Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                  2012 Salomon SPK 90
                  2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

Help!!!

The MNP might be too narrow for the soft boot set ups. Even some of the wider modern skiboards like the Slapdashes and Ickys are cutting it close. Snowboard boots are a great open just for cruising around the resort in comfort.

Do you have bindings for these new skiboards. The price looks fantastic BTW.
                    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

The Line metal non-release bindings are on the boards now. I planned on using them but figured id ask for asking sake. I'm sure the snowboard set-up is more comfortable but I have to be honest the boots that I got are really comfortable.
                      Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                      2012 Salomon SPK 90
                      2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

The MN Pros are great boards with a nice open sidecut that carve and cruise with ease. The fixed metal bindings paired with ski boots give great control for very little effort. You will have s great time on them. I sold my MN Pros but always regretted it.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk
                        Crossbow (go to dream board)
                        Most everything else over time.
                        Go Android

Comment

You guys have me addicted to this forum. It is definitely one of the more welcoming ones. What about Kemper boards? A local person has a Kemper crazy 99cm board? Thoughts on Kemper?
                          Skis/Skiboards:

Boots:
                          2012 Salomon SPK 90
                          2008 Salomon SPK Kaos 95

Comment

NEPA... Old Forge

I can see the slopes of Montage from by back yard. I was just at JFBB on Tuesday night. I will probably get the season pass for Montage next year, since it is so close it will be easy to go from work at the hospital to there before home. My wife has no interest in winter sports so it would be a few hours here and there during the week, which really is all I want. ....
                            Cool. I have a vacation cabin in Pocono Pines and usually ride Jack Frost or Big Boulder. I’ll miss the snow this weekend but only because I’ll be in Colorado. Hopefully we get a strong end to the season and get plenty of snow in March. I also head up to Elk on occasion and connect with other riders there. We’ll have to connect

... So let me ask... is there a preference on footwear? I currently have ski boots, which are fairly comfortable, but I have noticed the option for snowboard bindings and boots. The MNP board has the 4x4 pattern which would be easy to mount snowboard bindings onto. Again, just for comfort and ease of use, not really for "performance."
                            If you have ski boots that are comfy stick with them. For me I prefer hard boots.
                            Boards:
                            2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

You guys have me addicted to this forum. It is definitely one of the more welcoming ones. What about Kemper boards? A local person has a Kemper crazy 99cm board? Thoughts on Kemper?
                              Kemper are basically cheap, foam core, cap construction, ski blades with plastic composite bindings. There are tons of these types of products out there for about $100. They can be fun on groomers, but are not a quality product that will satisfy you for long. Although many of us started on blades like these, we quickly moved on to quality modern skiboards from manufactures like RVL8 and Spruce.
                              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Working...
                              X