Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Guys and Gals

Hey everyone!

I've been renting snowblades, skiboards ect for a little over 3 years now. Its something i turned two after seeing it used while i was giving a poor attempt at skiing. I instantly fell in love with them. Well this year for my birthday I had the inclination to get myself my own pair. I knew my family was headed to hills soon, so I didn't do a ton of research and ultimately, i feel like I shot myself in the foot when I ended up getting these

I'm so incredibly disappointed. I realize like with everything, you get what you pay for, but I assumed that these had some inkling of quality..and I was mistaken. I hate the bindings, I hate the way they feel as I'm turning, i could go on forever...I dislike them to the point of going back to renting every time we go out. I think new bindings would make them bearable, but after poking around the threads related to bindings, I'm worried that getting new release bindings for them is a fantasy. Is it possible to find some that would work or would i be better selling these for a loss and working my way to a higher quality product? What are some quality board+binding options for beginners in say a 200-300 dollar budget?

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
    Is it possible to find some that would work or would i be better selling these for a loss and working my way to a higher quality product? What are some quality board+binding options for beginners in say a 200-300 dollar budget?
    These type of skiboards, modeled after Salomon "Blades", were where many of us started and are still enjoyed by many riders. The quality is a "get what you pay for" sort of thing which you have found out the hard way but they are still a low cost way of getting in the sport. If you want to upgrade the binding you are a bit out of luck on these. They appear to be foam core blade style skiboards and aren't designed for release direct mount bindings.

If you are looking for a better option in the $200-300 range here are my suggestions:

Defiance Blades (link) -- $199: These are the house brand of Level9 Sports. I started on a pair and still have them as loaners. They are solidly built and are a good new product at a low price. The issue with these is they are out of stock due to being late in the season. You might want to reach out to Level9 and see if they will be back in stock any time soon.

Snowjam Riot (link) -- $380-400: This is one of the model offered by SBOL. While this would be slightly over your budget you are getting a high quality product and buying a binding that you can move to any board sold at SBOL (RVL8, Snowjam, Allz) and boards made by Twoowt and most Summit boards. So you are getting a basic board with bindings you can use forever.

Spruce Tuned Head Jr Caddy 131cm with Track Bindings (link) - $295 -- Spruce skis is currently having a sale on these. These exist somewhere between skis and skiboards. They are are short and sporty and can be ridden like a skiboard but have a little more length that gives good edge hold and support. If you intend to spend most of your time cruising groomed runs these are a good deal.

Buy used (link) -- This forum has a subsection just for classified and want to buy posts. When I was at the same spot in my experience as you this is where I purchased my first pair of boards and bindings for less than $300. It is the best way to get high quality gear at a good value.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Originally posted by Marcus View Post
      I hate the bindings, I hate the way they feel as I'm turning, i could go on forever...I dislike them to the point of going back to renting every time we go out. I think new bindings would make them bearable, but after poking around the threads related to bindings, I'm worried that getting new release bindings for them is a fantasy.
      Hi Marcus,

Wookie is correct, unfortunately the bindings you have are the 8-screw, direct attached type and not made to be removed or changed. That's why most experienced skiboarders are fans of standard, 4cm x 4cm insert-equipped skiboards. This system makes swapping out high-quality bindings a breeze.

Could you describe the skiboards you've been renting---make, model, length, etc.? What qualities do you like and/or dislike about them?

Comment

Hey Marcus,

I'll second Wookie's recommendation of a pair of Snowjam boards if you're on a budget. Those were my first skiboards (hence my name on the forums!). They are stiff, but they are bombproof and will last you several seasons if you don't want to purchase more expensive boards.

I would also look at the Buy/Sell forum here for a solid pair of 4x4 bindings to put on those. There are always some great deals on high quality items. If you don't find anything used, it is worth buying a good pair of Spruce Risers or Rvl8 Receptors depending on what you want. They can be transferred to any pair of boards and will last a long time.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Just a few more ideas based on what was recommended abover:

Pick up a pair of brand new Spruce Pro Sports Riser with SX10 bindings and 115mm brakes for only $169 direct from Jeff at Sprucer here: http://www.snoblades.com/store/p15/P...mm_Brakes.html With these you have a pair of release bindings that you will now be able to use on future purchases of skiboards that use a 4x4 or 4x10 mounting system.

Then purchase one of the Snowjam boards as mentioned above for $189 here: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/c/snowjam_skiboards.html This gets you into a brand new board that many people on a budget started on.

Or you can look at the Summit Nomad 99cm used on the buy and sell forum and see if Quattrofan will sell the boards to you separately from the non-release bindings, or the Spruce 120's offered by Kocho.

Comment

Another option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Nomad...8AAOSw4DJYfUkm

There are occasional setups like that on ebay, so it's worth checking in addition to the classified section here. Summits tend to be stiff, but they are a quality build, and they are great for groomers. The SnowJam X2 binding is an all-metal build, albiet cast instead of machined. They are definitely an upgrade from those 8-hole bindings.

I also started on SnowJams, and I agree they are a solid budget option.

I will further attest to the wisdom of getting a good pair of bindings that will work on the standard 4x4 insert pattern. This will future-proof your skiboarding experience since you can go with any board that you might fancy at that time.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
              Another option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Nomad...8AAOSw4DJYfUkm

There are occasional setups like that on ebay, so it's worth checking in addition to the classified section here. Summits tend to be stiff, but they are a quality build, and they are great for groomers. The SnowJam X2 binding is an all-metal build, albiet cast instead of machined. They are definitely an upgrade from those 8-hole bindings.
              I'm almost positive that this is Quattrofan's eBay listing, so you might want to PM him. See his listing in the buy and sell part of the forum - buying through the forum should be cheaper.

Comment

welcome to the board

Comment

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                  Another option:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Nomads-99cm-Snowblades-Skiboards-/302218241699?hash=item465d9c66a3:g:ty8AAOSw4DJYfUk m
                  I had those Nomads back in the day. They were very nice boards.
                  Boards/Bindings:
                  2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                  2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                  2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                  Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                  Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ad.php?t=16651

$80 for Bombers shipped is a very good price, in my opinion, and those bindings will last a lifetime.
                    RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
                    X