choosing a good line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• choosing a good line

Since I am new to the whole concept of skiboards and skiing. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestion on choosing lines when descending. I feel like i pick the wrong line or maybe i'm to passive. Any advice would be great. Thanks Derrick

This is a great question and subject. The concept you are looking for is called "skiing the slow line fast". Sorry, I can't link articles from work on my phone, but if you put that phrase into Google you will come up with several great threads on the subject. A ski coach called Bob Barnes who posts a lot on the Epic Ski forum is credited with the concept. Try to find his thoughts on the subject.
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

thanks Wolf i'll do that. i went skiing today and found myself a couple times not seeing the line, and the hard edging and getting behind my skis.

Comment

this is a great question and especially important when skiing off piste , into trees, variable snow , obstacles , and changing terrain , steeps , cliffs , etc,
        I think my rule is first to be very comfortable with your particular board of choice and how it performs in all types of conditions .
        that is why I so much like having one board that I ride pretty much all the time so that I am very aware of how to pilot the board in all conditions , how fast it will go in different snow conditions , how manuverable it is , how easy it is to turn , etc

Then at the top of a run before I take off, I look down a line and kind of follow along it mentally and plan in general where I am going to attack it , and how .

then as I get into the line ,I will be making moment to moment decisions as to how much space I need to give myself to turn , how fast I can be going etc , etc . .

again having confidence in how your board performs and your ability to pilot the board is really important to making the line work .
        For me for example in soft snow , if I am say on a Blunt Xl , I will be going in general slower and be able to make a tighter quicker turn then a Sherpa in the same kind of snow condition . and different yet on long skis , which are faster yet and slower to turn in the same soft snow conditions . The line I choose , how straight down the fall line I go , how close I can come to obstacles etc really depends on the type of snow , the terrain and the board I use , and how well I understand how to pilot that particular board.
        Boards :
        Blunt Xl, DLP, Spliff, Condor, Rockered Condor , Slingshot, Sherpa, Icelantic Shaman
        Boots
        K2 BFC 100 Grip walk sole , Dynafit CR Radical AT boot, Ride Insano Snowboard boots
        Bindings:
        Zero Pro Non release Binding
        Modified Receptor Backcountry Bindings (Bill Version and Slow Version)
        Spruce Riser with Attack 14 GW /AT binding
        Custom Risers with Fritschi Backcountry Bindings (Jeff Singer version 1, Bill version)
        Rocker and Sbol Soft Boot Bindings.

Comment

Thanks for your advise, I will try to use those same techniques as continue to learn and improve.

Comment

There are no wrong lines!
            Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Actually, it's a negative feedback kind of thing. You just figure the best lines thru experience. There isn't really any magic advice. I try to read the snow quality ahead more than anything. A difficult line with good snow is usually a much better option than a great line with ice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
              Crossbow (go to dream board)
              Most everything else over time.
              Go Android

Comment

You are right there probably are not wrong lines. But a expierenced skier has better judgement, confidence, skill level among other things compared to me (newbie). I think that maybe my question i'm asking is, lines do to conditions on mountain I ski on which i am getting into ice, crud, chop snow, even people on the ground as obstacles not that your not all seeing that. The mountain slope changes through day. I have be trying to visualize the path or line i want to take and look ahead as i descend. Im pretty sure one of my main issues is I catch myself trying to many S turns instead of just going down. I probably am overthinking it all.

Comment

It's all about skiing at a speed that you are comfortable with and can control the direction you want to go in. Don't worry about making lots of turns, in fact that is what skiing is really all about; controlling you speed with turn shape rather than braking. Another key is to try to make sure your skis don't get away from you as you turn. If you hit your edges too early, you will shoot off down the hill. So try to practice slow, controlled turns that allow you to pick any line you want.
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by valmorel View Post
                    Actually, it's a negative feedback kind of thing. You just figure the best lines thru experience. There isn't really any magic advice. I try to read the snow quality ahead more than anything. A difficult line with good snow is usually a much better option than a great line with ice.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
                    That is dead on. As a person gets more experience on the mountain I think the bad lines teach you more than the good lines. One of the biggest factors between a good line and a bad line is the ability to: a) control your speed using variable edging and by turning your skis more and more perpendicular to the fall line, including actually turning back up the hill, b) confidently and at any speed making smooth turns of any turn radius; c) maintaining good balance; and d) keeping your weight bias forward with eyes looking down the hill. If you do these things, then at least in most resort skiing even a "bad" line will be very skiable.

In general, a line can become problematic when:

1. You are turning on frozen hardpack or icy surfaces with low grip. If you can, ski a line to avoid. If not, try to turn on skied off loose snow that is often in "lanes" down these icy areas between the skied off arcs people have created. If you are on a low grip surface, don't try to make sudden or quick turning movements. If you can, wait to turn until you have moved past it.

2. You can't make fairly precise turns and you end up making turns wherever the mountain lets you instead of where you want to.

3. You are not looking far enough down the hill and you find yourself suddenly in a place you don't want to be and have to make quick decisions and/or movements. Especially if this pattern is repeating down the entire run.

4. You are skiing in the backseat and/or leaning uphill and you have a reduced ability to direct and steer your skis.

5. You attempt any terrain you are not mentally confident you can ski. Once the mind is in doubt the body responds with protective postures and tactics that do not work and only make the situation worse.

As my skills have progressed, line choice is less and less important. In fact, I am actively seeking out what I would have not long ago thought were "bad" lines because they present an extra challenge.
                    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Thanks for the great advice. As soon as I get some more time on the mountain I am going to focus more on what you stated.

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                        There are no wrong lines!
                        In France they sell insurance at the ticket office in case you take the wrong line and have to be rescued.

The first thing I do is figure out what lift I want to take next, then look at which runs will eventually dump me out at it.

Comment

Originally posted by shortydude View Post
                          In France they sell insurance at the ticket office in case you take the wrong line and have to be rescued.

The first thing I do is figure out what lift I want to take next, then look at which runs will eventually dump me out at it.
                          Interesting you should mention the insurance. If you buy their insurance they will take you off the hill by helicopter if you need it. If you have your own insurance, they will take you off by sled, and confiscate your kit pending your paying the fees. At least, that's what happened to us!

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk
                          Crossbow (go to dream board)
                          Most everything else over time.
                          Go Android

Comment

Working...
                          X