Newbie from New York

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie from New York

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from orange county New York, 40 years old pretty active and athletic . I just started skiing this season. I have been checking out the board for a few weeks and really looking towards getting into skiboards, there are very knowledgeable people here. Maybe there some that could chime in. I am 6'2" 225lbs size 28.5 ski boots, looking for suggestions for board sizes. I definitely want releasable bindings . I would like to buy used to start with. thanks Derrick

Welcome to the forum, Derrick!

It is pretty rare that releasable bindings come up on the pre-owned market, so you may have to buy those new.

As far as boards go. with your height and weight, I'd say Revolts or DLPs will be your best bet.
    What mountains will you be riding at?
    facebook.com/dlynamr8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2s7yBfCTp2M

Comment

Originally posted by derrickr View Post
      Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from orange county New York, 40 years old pretty active and athletic . I just started skiing this season. I have been checking out the board for a few weeks and really looking towards getting into skiboards, there are very knowledgeable people here. Maybe there some that could chime in. I am 6'2" 225lbs size 28.5 ski boots, looking for suggestions for board sizes.
      Welcome to the forum. You and I fit a similar profile, I'm 42 6'4" - 215 lbs. Skiboarding for big guys like us is a bit of a balancing act between getting a minimalistic set-up and having boards be too small for float in powder and such. If you are looking at mainly in-bound resort riding I would suggest you consider medium bodied boards over 100cm like the RVL8 Revolt, RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky, or the RVL8 DLPs. None of these boards are too wide for a new rider or require an aggressive riding style.

To help the forum out with recommendations please share what you are looking to get out of the boards. Are you only riding in NY or will you be taking this out West? Do you expect to be riding in the Park, in Powder, the trees, etc.. Are you coming from a skiing or skating backgound? Have your ever tried skiboards before?

I definitely want releasable bindings .
      A smart move once your knees/body get over 40! Unless you are going to buy a product with direct mounted bindings (i.e. Defiance Blades, etc.) your only option is the Spruce Riser with bindings. As a first time rider look for new or used Spruce Pro Sport Bindings. These are the basic version of the bindings and fine for a starter set. These occasionally come up for sale on the forum so you might need to buy new bindings and pair them with used boards. Keep in mind that if you buy a used Spruce set-up you may need to move/remount the bindings if the previous user's boot size is significantly smaller or larger than yours. This is not a hard thing to do but just keep it in mind.

I would like to buy used to start with. thanks Derrick
      If you are starting used keep any eye on the "Buy | Sell | Trade Skiboarding Gear" subforum. It is a slow time to buy used gear as most riders sell their gear at the beginning or end of the season. You might consider posting a "Want to Buy" post in that section of the forum with what you are looking for.
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Thanks for the welcome. I currently just do the locals around me mountain creek, mt. peter, and big bear. I plan to ski camelback, hunter mountain, belleayre. A trip to vermont probably next year. I don't think i will go out west anytime soon. i was looking at the icky's and spruce binding set up. I already own boots dalbello pantera 120. i'll be skiing on all groomers and since we don't have much powder here. should i buy the spruce bindings and purchase a used board then, and which type of spruce bindings? I going to be doing more all mountain then park to start. i have background in ice skating and roller blades, skiing is much less just this season on slopes about 16 times greens and blues once in awhile blacks.

Comment

.... i was looking at the icky's and spruce binding set up.....
          The icky's are great for East coast riding. They are the boards I have been riding all season. The only logistical issue you will have with these is that they are new this season and you are unlikely to find them used. Most riders that have bought them love them and are not selling them.

.... should i buy the spruce bindings and purchase a used board then ....
          This is likely your easiest path but keep an eye on the forum used bindings do pop-up. Both sets of Spruce bindings that I have were bought used through this forum.

....and which type of spruce bindings?....
          For just starting out the Spruce Pro Sport Risers & Release Bindings (link) are fine. I would suggest you add the brakes instead of using leashes. This makes them easy to step-in/step-out.
          Boards:
          2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
          2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
          2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
          2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
          2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
          2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
          2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

You could also consider the 141cm Ethan Too ski/binding package. Yup, not a skiboard, but nothing like rental skis in longer lengths either. You can rad reviews of these on this site here.

http://www.snoblades.com/store/p42/E..._bindings.html

These are fun little skis. As for skiboards, any of the abovementioned will work fine. The SIIs (sticky icky icky) would be the most versatile of the three mentioned with surprisingly good behavior on softer conditions and quite decent on firm too. I have not skied the DLPs, but they look great for groomers too and Dave can certainly make them do anything and it looks easy. As Wookie said, the SIIs are new this season so very unlikely to come for sale used and if they do, might not be at a large discount.

The Spruce 120 are also a great long-ish skiboard. They were my favorite boards for a while and I still like them a lot. Wookie skied them for several seasons and is not letting go off his pairs, as far as I know... Yes I've listed a pair for sale, but I'm somewhat hesitant to let them go (and if I did not have way too many skis and skiboards that overall fit my wants better, I'd be keeping them).

Comment

Just wanted to introduce myself. I'm from orange county New York, 40 years old pretty active and athletic . I just started skiing this season. I have been checking out the board for a few weeks and really looking towards getting into skiboards, there are very knowledgeable people here. Maybe there some that could chime in. I am 6'2" 225lbs size 28.5 ski boots, looking for suggestions for board sizes. I definitely want releasable bindings . I would like to buy used to start with. thanks Derrick
              Which highschool? NFL? Cornwall? I went to Marlboro.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Comment

Went to Middletown, I live in Chester now. It's way crowded here now with people. When did you leave NY Greco.

i currently ski on volkl rtm 173cm, hard decisions to make on boards and equipment, so am i looking to get stiffer and narrower boards because of my weight and being in northeast

Comment

I think everyone should spend time on a classic 100 cm skiboard before venturing into longboards, mini skis or even the new wide rockered boards. We all started this way and it's the pure exhilaration and fun of being on a shorty that made us fall in love with the sport. So go find a pair of used Lines or BWPs, or even blades, and rip it up for a while. Then you can "upgrade" when you find where your groove is.
                  Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Bad Wolf hard choices to make will the shorty wides be that bad on the ny groomers here you think?

Comment

Bad Wolf hard choices to make will the shorty wides be that bad on the ny groomers here you think?
                      Just like with skis, narrower means easier to edge, and wider means more float. It's not a case of anything being "bad", but choosing the right board to give you the most fun based off your riding style and the conditions you encounter the most.
                      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I am really looking for a board where i can go out have fun on. Not to worries about crashing since i do it quite a bit

Comment

You can try before you buy.

http://www.skiboardsonline.com/p/sbol_demo_program.html
                          Boards/Bindings:
                          2013 Spruce Sherpas w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2023 Spruce Stingers w/Tyrolia Peak 11s
                          2015 RVL8 Blunt XLs w/Tyrolia Attack 13s
                          2020 RVL8 Sticky Icky Ickys w/Tyrolia SX 10s

Boots:
                          Salomon X-Pro 80

Past boards: Salomon Snowblades, Line MNPs 89 & 98 cm, Five-Os, Bullets, Jedis, Spruce 120s, LE 125s, Ospreys, Crossbows
                          Summit 110s, Nomads, Jades, RVL8 ALPs, BWPs, KTPs, Tanshos, Rockets, DLPs, Blunts, Condors, RCs, Revolts, Spliffs

Comment

Working...
                          X