Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hey what's up SBOL, wanted to introduce myself.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kocho View Post
    Wookie, Have you ridden the Revolts in deep, wet, heavy piled-up snow? I have not, so I'm curious...
    Yes, I have ridden the Revolts in most conditions including wet piled up snow and Spring mashed potatoes. They handle just about everything great IMHO and if you add a little setback by "cheating" with a non-release binding they handle light powder just fine if you keep your speed up. Last season I actually rode my Revolts in ugly lumpy wet snow towed behind a horse in a field and they killed it (long story). The Revolts and Spruce 120s are still my 1a & 1b favorite boards of all time. While the narrower waist and rocker of the Stickies makes an awesome package the pop of a full cambered board is something special too. For you I would not draw any conclusions from my thoughts as we have two radically different riding styles so I would expect us to like different things. I have a much rougher wider skater posture compared to your more classic parallel skier style. I do weird things like occasionally pump outside leg while coming out of turns, like I would on ice skates, and other wacky things.

..... Anyway, it is hard to compare unless one rides them back to back in the same conditions like I did over the weekend (was parked 50 feet from the slope so swapping was easy)....
    Yes and No .... I think that riding things back to back can sometimes throw off your evaluation. You need to ride them in identical conditions if possible because I think I adjust my riding style to fit the skiboard. If I change midday then it is harder to adjust because my body is already calibrated to one set of boards rather than starting from neutral position. I have experimented with this by riding boards back-to-back two days in a row but in different orders and whichever board I started with first was the one I liked the most (except for the DS110s from Bluewing ... those things were F'ed up).

....And I don't have the Revolts any more to compare...
    You can pry my Revolts Cities and my Spruce 120s out of my cold dead fingers. I fell in love with the Spliffs last year and the Stickies this year but whenever I go back to the Revolts or 120s I love them too. I plan on keeping and riding them for as long as I can. I'll stand by my statement that between the Revolts and Stickies you cannot make a bad choice.

(Note to Rickylink -- My unridden backup pair of Revolt Cities are left to you in my will. )

Originally posted by sempai View Post
    Wet heavy snow in CO? Not my experience when I've been there. Some of the best powder I have encountered was in Colorado. It seemed just as light and fluffy as what Utah gets. Don't include CA/Tahoe snow in the dry and fluffy category. It is seldom anything but wet and heavy. They don't call it Sierra cement for nothing.
    Funny, I guess it's all about luck and timing. Last year I was skiing in wet crappy snow in CO while we were getting powder here in the East. We've done a trip or two to Colorado every year for the past 6 years and while we get great snow most times we rarely get dry deep powder. I think in reality unless you live in just the right spot or are chasing storms most aren't getting dry deep powder everyday so to love skiing/skiboarding you need to love all kinds of conditions. After all skiboarding is like sex ... even bad skiboarding is better than no skiboarding.

So to correct my statement about CO snow .... I have ridden Revolts, Spliffs, 120s, Condors, RCs, and regular directional shaped long skis in CO and had fun on all of them. I had some of the most fun on the Revolts. The Stickies and I head to CO in March for some early Spring riding. The best part of Colorado is if the snow isn't great there are various "herbal" and craft beer options to help you forget all about it.
    Boards:
    2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
    2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
    2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
    2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
    2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
    2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
    2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
    2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

It's worth remembering that the KTPs are the weapon of choice for the Mid West crew at Mount Bohemia. The ride those boards set back ,in deep lake effect snow, to great effect. When it comes to the traditionally cambered boards, they can be ridden in a variety of conditions, but you have to adept your technique to make them work. Bur not me, I couldn't make them work in deep powder at Snowbird, it was way too much hard work for my old legs.
      Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Welcome! let me know if you hit Snowshoe again this season, I am there regularly

Sent from my ASUS_Z00AD using Tapatalk
        2019 BluntXLs
        540 Team Stark bindings with RVL8 softboot upgrade

Comment

I placed my order

Ended up going with the SII.

Can't wait to get out on them. We hit the slopes on the 17-19th of Feb. Will be in Banner Elk NC. I will be certain to post a video or 2 as well as my feedback/experience.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Comment

Originally posted by ActiveAgent View Post
            Been reading the site for about 2 weeks now. Straight lurking. Figured I'd take the time to intro myself and give a lil background.
            Welcome to the forum!

Our 1st day on the mtn, we took a 1 hour "crash course" lesson in boarding. It was rough
            I have been there. I learned to snowboard at 42 years old to help my youngest daughter learn. I eventually got to an advanced intermediate level, but due to a trip to Whiteface Mountain in Wilmington, NY in March 2011 where I rode so terribly I tried shorties and never got on my snowboard again.

But, we just booked at 10 day trip out to Copper Mountain CO the end of the year.
            If you have never been to Copper before, it is a great mountain. The terrain is "naturally divided" with each section of the mountain predominantly having a specific level of difficulty. Look for the "noon groomers" which are a few runs they close, re-groom and open at noon. Great to get fresh tracks on them if you can. Be aware of the elevation. The base village is at around 9,900 feet and it tops out somewhere around 12,000 I think. I was there at the end of March last year and the elevation really bothered me a lot my first night (arrival) and some on the first day on the mountain. It was a quick trip and I did not allow myself any time to acclimate. If you can pull it off, stay in Denver for a day and then head out to Copper. If you can't do that, then drink lots and lots of water and eat a lot of carbs on the first day. That is supposed to help. Drinking lots of water is advisable your entire stay - the air is very dry and you lose a lot of moisture just through breathing.

If you want one of the most spectacular views from a ski run, take the Rendezvous lift (you can get to it by taking the American Flyer lift from the base and then the Upper Sluice run). Ski the Union Park Run, which is a green run with the most unbelievable view of the mountains in the distance. If you take Wheeler Creek and want to get back to the Rendezvous lift, just be aware that the run curves away from the chair so it is very easy to miss a cutover and you will end up and have to ski to the bottom of the mountain if you want to get back to the Rendezvous lift.

If you like great blue cruisers, run laps off of the off of the Timberline Express lift. T-Rex Grill is a nice place to have lunch (food is nothing fancy but the views are great) near that lift.
            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Update from my recent trip to Ski Beech and on the SII

Been back home for about 3 days now. Nothing worse than coming home from a ski trip that you were having such an amazing time at.

Firstly, the SII were awesome. I can't compare them to anything other than long ski's and my 1 shot at boarding. From the moment I put them on, I knew I was going to be having a blast on the mountain. I demo'd the SII but will be sending in the balance owed to just purchase them outright.

My goal was to be riding fakey before I came home. I didn't quite get super proficient at riding fakey, but I made progress.

The 1st day on the SII was more a feeling out period. We were on the mountain for about 4-5 hours and I just rode comfortably down greens and then blues. The 2nd day though, much more fun was had. I found myself feeling a little stiff on the boards, so, what's the best cure for that? That's right, hit the bar. 2 jaegerbombs and 2 Beech Mountain IPAs later, I was on the mountain busting 360's all the way down. This is a big deal for me, as I've never done 360's on anything, intentionally. I was feeling quite proud of myself, and pretty much gave up bombing the runs, and then just rode to get better at fakey and 360's.

I moved over to the greens and tried riding them all the way down fakey. Was having problems getting straightened out once I would get moving one way too much. I see vids of others riding and see I need to keep my SB's closer together. What was happening to me was I was getting the wide stance, leaning up the mountain, once I would get going too much to the left/right, I'd end up spinning out of fakey and heading down the mountain proper.

My goal of wanting to be able to comfortably ride fakey was the fact, I can't wait until i can get into the park and ride some rails and/or slide boxes. It just looks like so much fun, and i want in.

I probably won't make it back out again this season, but, as I said previously, do have a 10 day booked out to Copper Mountain in Dec. I would like to have my own boots. As I read some, I see the more upright the stance the better. I was in a pair of brand new, rented K2's. They had me leaning a little to the front, which caused my knees to bend a little to compensate. If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to select the proper boots, and/or suggest boots which would suffice, i'd appreciate it.

I took plenty of GP video and as soon as I get the time, I will compile some clips and post. I know most everyone is out at Shredfest now, I just wanted to say thank you. Looking forward to getting better, and making one of the meet ups, Shredfests, etc.

Comment

My goal of wanting to be able to comfortably ride fakey was the fact, I can't wait until i can get into the park and ride some rails and/or slide boxes. It just looks like so much fun, and i want in.

If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to select the proper boots, and/or suggest boots which would suffice, i'd appreciate it.
                I took my Sticky's into the park recently, and they were fine on boxes and ground tricks. But they were a bit soft and unforgiving for anything aggressive like landing off rails and jumps so you need to be very mindful of your balance.

Buying hard boots is the one scenario where you really are better off going in person to a good, reputable fitter. You just don't know how you'll feel about any particular boots until you get into them and ride in them.

Comment

Yup, the choice of boots is very personal, not only for fit, but also for stiffness. I was quite happy with my Nordicas for a few years, but after trying a pair of Salomons I discovered I prefer them. Not because of brand or quality differences, and in fact the Nordica fit my feet a little better, but the Salomon are taller and stiffer, with canting adjustment. Turned out I like all these three features quite a bit and they give me more control and a better connection with the boards. I was not sure which is "better" until I rode them both back to back a few times and I don't think a boot fitter can tell you that. They can point you in the right direction, maybe adjust the boot some, help with insoles and such if you have the need. They can also work with you after the sale to do some tweaks if it turns out your new boots suck a little when used, but can still be adjusted to suit you

Comment

............... If anyone can give me some pointers as to how to select the proper boots, and/or suggest boots which would suffice, i'd appreciate it...
                    Here is a sticky that may help you: https://www.skiboardsonline.com/foru...ead.php?t=8813
                    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

Working...
                    X