New boards... Should I get them waxed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
    I wonder what skis would look covered is silly stickers ... hmmmm.
    Give me a season to get bored with the yellow paint splatter on those Atomics and I'll let you know. I'll have to start collecting stickers early for that project[emoji3]
    Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
      Give me a season to get bored with the yellow paint splatter on those Atomics and I'll let you know. I'll have to start collecting stickers early for that project[emoji3]
      You need to go here and up your sticker game --> http://www.epicboardskins.com/
      Boards:
      2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
      2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
      2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
      2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
      2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
      2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
      2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
      2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

For those with a few hours to kill.

TGR Thread on Pores In Ski Bases

Comment

Originally posted by Bad Wolf View Post
          For those with a few hours to kill.

TGR Thread on Pores In Ski Bases
          While there are some kernels of science and support in this thread it reads like a conversation between my preteen daughter and her friends ....

Kid #1 "Well I heard from Suzy that Bobby told Jimmy that his skis bases are porous and need to be waxed"

Kid #2 "... but my Dad has a friend who is married to a Scientist who says ski waxing is stupid"

Kid #1 "Is not .. "

Kid #2 "Is too ..."

etc, etc, etc.....

I guess it comes down to personal preference. If wax works for you use it ... if it does not don't use it.
          Boards:
          2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

While there are some kernels of science and support in this thread it reads like a conversation between my preteen daughter and her friends ....

Kid #1 "Well I heard from Suzy that Bobby told Jimmy that his skis bases are porous and need to be waxed"

Kid #2 "... but my Dad has a friend who is married to a Scientist who says ski waxing is stupid"

Kid #1 "Is not .. "

Kid #2 "Is too ..."

etc, etc, etc.....

I guess it comes down to personal preference. If wax works for you use it ... if it does not don't use it.
            I think there are bigger implications than just peronal preference. Perfluorochemicals are absolutely horrid for local ecosystems, they end up in the water shed and end up in our drinking water as well. https://blog.greenicewax.com/2012/06...e-environment/

Some studies have suggest that the effects are negligible, but if you add this to all the plastic used for packaging, energy and waste for manufacturing and shipping, I'm starting to think that extra little bit of ''potential'' glide on the slopes isn't really worth it...
            Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by FightingForAir View Post
              Sooo... out of curiosity, I did a little digging last night and found a quote from a chemical engineer at IMS
              (the manufacturer of "P-Tex"): "There are absolutely no pores in press sintered UHMWPE base material."
              This one doesn't make sense to me. The very process of sintering is done specifically to create a porous structure. That's the point of sintering. If you don't want the porous structure, you extrude your plastics. At least that's how I understand it.

Could you give us the reference for the quote?

Comment

Originally posted by Roussel View Post
                I think there are bigger implications than just peronal preference. Perfluorochemicals are absolutely horrid for local ecosystems, they end up in the water shed and end up in our drinking water as well. https://blog.greenicewax.com/2012/06...e-environment/

Some studies have suggest that the effects are negligible, but if you add this to all the plastic used for packaging, energy and waste for manufacturing and shipping, I'm starting to think that extra little bit of ''potential'' glide on the slopes isn't really worth it...
                If you want to go here and play the "I don't wax because I care about the environment" game you should just start a whole different thread because that flawed logic is too big to blend into this thread.

The impact of waxing pales in comparison to the impact of making fiberglass/polyethylene sliding devices to pair with petrochemical based plastic boots and synthetic clothing to slide on deforested land taken from indigenous people. And those impacts are just the tip of the iceberg. How about the fuel to drive to and from the mountain, chemicals added to water for snowmaking, and the energy to power groomers, lifts, escalators, remote mountain bistros, snowmobiles, plowtrucks to maintain remote mountain highways, etc. While many ski resorts are big on conserving land, mostly for their own use and profit, the environmental impact of this sport and most leisure activities is HUGE. Ski wax is a drop in the bucket.

For me I try to ski local most of the time and use eco-friendly wax from Purl to lessen my impact but I have no delusions that I am not impacting the environment in a negative way, all I can do is try to keep that impact small while I enjoy my time on the planet.

If someone feels better to not wax, good for them, but this is definition of a "personal preference". We are all engaged in a first world leisure-time activity that one could argue is a plight on the environment and a waste of resources. Heck the energy used to power this blog, and ... I don't know ... an online skiboarding magazine and trips to ski in Japan would be better spent to bring water to a small village in an undeveloped rural country or fight hunger but here we are wasting resources together. If someone wants to reduce their skiing footprint on the environment they should unplug and limit skiing to natural hike accessed backcounty trails within hiking/biking distance from their houses with riders that only use homemade wood skis but even then there is still an impact native plants and animals so why not just stop skiboarding all together?
                Boards:
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s

Comment

all I can do is try to keep that impact small while I enjoy my time on the planet.
                  nice contradiction there.

I am so tired of having this conversation. ''why dont you just stop doign everythign then you tree hugger''

lol ok
                  Fox-Trotting - Thrifty Wanderlust & Adventures

Skiboard Magazine

Comment

Working...
                  X