Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking to get back into Ski Boards and need advice for bigger / older rider.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
    So there you have it: 120s, 125s, Sherpas, Condors, DLPs or KTPs!

or maybe give the Blunts a try since you would be the tallest and heaviest rider that at least I am aware of it give those might mites a go....
    Tallest? yes. Heaviest? I'm 260!

I'm gonna get 45 days on the mountain this year if it kills me!
    33 down, 12 to go!

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
      I have the Spruce 120 STS boards and love them. Since I got them last year I have probably skied them 45+ times and they are just fantastic. However, I will note that they are a soft flex, both longitudinally and torsionally, so at your size you might be pushing their limits. There are a few tall guys on the forum who ski the 120s and love them, like Wookie, but I think you are a good 50 pounds heavier than him. Not saying you can't ride the 120s, but you might end up flexing the boards enough to drive them into the riser ends. I think skafreak (Andrew) experienced that on 120s - he as I recall is a bigger rider.

The Spruce 125s have a bit more backbone than the 120s and are a very good board as well. Wendell and Jack both have 125s and are taller/bigger riders. Both have spent a lot of time on the 120s. They might be able to give a comparison in terms of flex, etc for a bigger rider. The 125s have tremendous edge grip and are fast. Only thing some people, including me, found is that they were harder to soft edge than the 120s presumably because of the zero camber underfoot. The 125s are get some tip whap on hardpack - tips and tails bouncing up and down - not unusual for rockered skis. Doesn't affect performance in my experience but can be annoying depending on your disposition. Neither the 120s or 125s are in stock right now unfortunately.

If you want to go for more of a traditional skiboard experience consider the DLPs (Dave Lynam Pros). They are stiff, but at your size you probably can generate the force to get some flex out of them. They are fast boards for sure. The KTPs also might be an option - just be aware they are wide, including wide underfoot, and they like to be driven more aggressively. The KTPs are also stiff so again at your size you might be able to put enough into them to get some flex.
      Thanks for the detailed review.

Sounds like there are lot of options. I am a little apprehensive of the 125s they seem like a completely different ride than what I was used to on my LINEs, though back then even though I was alot lighter my 89cm boards always felt like they didn't have enough surface area especially when there was more than a few inches of powder.

Since I am getting back into things after being away for years, I am not too concerned about the fine performance details since the first couple years back will be spent getting used to skiing again but I would like to at least get something the at it's base fits me.

With all the extra insulation I am carrying around more Surface area is important so I guess the Sherpas make sense but damn they seem so big. I am going to reach out to the Designer at Spruce and see what recommendation he has as well.

Since I am getting back into things after being away for years, I am not too concerned about the fine performance details since the first couple years back will be spent getting used to skiing again but I would like to at least get something the at it's base fits me.

Thanks again everyone. I am psyched to get back on slopes in just a few more weeks.......

Comment

Working...
      X