Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thought I might share my experience today....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thought I might share my experience today....

Well today was a funny day so I decided to grab a pair of skis after riding the RCs and finding them too much (waiting on DLPs now) to see how the feeling was......Wow it felt like I couldn't turn at all compared to the shorter RCs that I rode went on a green run to ease into it as i've skiied, before and i've never felt so out of place/foreign to anything ever.

Ended up falling and re-aggravating a previous injury (am ok now) followed by a trip back up the hill on a snowmoblie. I will now wait till I hopefully get the DLPs before I try and ski again or get some serious lessons as the whole nimbleness of the RCs compared to the skis was a mind bend. Nothing ever stopped me in the past but im sure its due to going short then super long compared to the RCs.

Originally posted by austpt View Post
    Well today was a funny day so I decided to grab a pair of skis after riding the RCs and finding them too much (waiting on DLPs now) to see how the feeling was......Wow it felt like I couldn't turn at all compared to the shorter RCs that I rode went on a green run to ease into it as i've skiied, before and i've never felt so out of place/foreign to anything ever.

Ended up falling and re-aggravating a previous injury (am ok now) followed by a trip back up the hill on a snowmoblie. I will now wait till I hopefully get the DLPs before I try and ski again or get some serious lessons as the whole nimbleness of the RCs compared to the skis was a mind bend. Nothing ever stopped me in the past but im sure its due to going short then super long compared to the RCs.
    What do you mean by finding the RCs being too much? Fun?
    sigpic

Osprey, Sherpa, Custom Coda 120WT, Custom DS110, Condor (Green), Spliff

Custom Twist Out duck foot bindings, Bombers (custom duck foot base plate and 3 pads), releasable S810ti on custom duck foot riser

Nordica N3 NXT ski boots (best so far)

Wife: 104 SII & 100 Blunt XL with S810ti bindings on custom "adjustable duck foot" risers

Loaners: 125LE, 105 EMP, 101 KTP, 100 Blunt XL, 98 Slapdash, 88 Blunts

Comment

It was the width underfoot for my first board having to ride it aggressively I struggled with plus varied terrain here in Whistler at the moment I hated them on ice and hard pack, its all good Greco tried to help me then he reccomended the DLPs and then consider the RCs or sherpas as an upgrade to suit the pow which I could possibly ride with the DLPs.

Comment

Originally posted by austpt View Post
        It was the width underfoot for my first board having to ride it aggressively I struggled with plus varied terrain here in Whistler at the moment I hated them on ice and hard pack, its all good Greco tried to help me then he reccomended the DLPs and then consider the RCs or sherpas as an upgrade to suit the pow which I could possibly ride with the DLPs.
        I definitely think people new to skiboarding should not start on fat boards like RCs or KTPs, especially if you don't have someone to coach you.

I'm not surprised you did not like the RCs on ice. It takes some getting use to. ON ice you need to get into a habit of just slarving a lot or simply slide sidewards for periods of time.
        Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
        Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
        Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Was definitely an experience dunno whether it helped me having a skiier teach me as i was reading the slarving post on here and explained about an up and down motion when you transition into turns that was not actively needed not sure whether this will be the case with the DLPs or not, still can't wait to be on a set again and not catching edges on the snowboard

Comment

The Rockered Condors are unique beasts that can definitely take some getting used to. They don't ride like any other skiboards, and they really aren't like skis at all, so having instruction from a skier would be a negative in my opinion. Riding them is something that is also hard to explain. The posts that have been written on the forums here are good, but the best thing is to ride with someone more experienced for some one-on-one instruction. That applies to skiboards in general. I'd suggest seeing if there are any forum members close enough to you to meet and ride with. That would be the best way to improve on your boards. I initially struggled to learn a good carving technique myself, and I had almost despaired of ever getting the hang of things when it suddenly "clicked" for me. One suggestion that I can make is to go for some steeper slopes. This will force you to get the boards up on edge properly. I've found this helped with several people that I've taught. The natural tendency of some is to try to turn by twisting the boards instead of by kicking them up on edge. This is something that will be easier to feel on the DLP's since they have camber. The RC's are zero camber, so they don't lock into a carve the way cambered boards do. Once you have it figured out, you will own the mountain. There will be no trail that you can't tackle.

It's interesting reading your experience on skies because I thought of trying that myself back when I first started skiboarding. I used ski boots then, so I could have tried some rentals. Now, I don't know if I could bring myself to do it. Skiers actually look really awkward to me now with the length of their equipment and the fact that they carry poles. By comparison, skiboarding is such a natural-looking movement.
            RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

I'm hearing you man the whole skiing thing was weird but I have a fascination that when I find something I can't do I want to do it more lol so i'll probably find myself back on some skiis sometime.

I would love if there were any skiboarders around B.C as the instruction would've been awesome and probably would've had a better time but I don't think there is anyone??? if you do know anyone throw me their names and ill be in touch with them asap!

I think I made the right decision sending the RCs back for the DLPs as my main concern was floatation in powder which we haven't seen any of yet and with people a similar weight/height not having any issues in pow with the DLPs (and advice from the master Greco) it was a no brainer.

Like I said in the other post if I am struggling with the float in pow with the DLPs then i will have no hesitation to either go back to the RCs (which should be easier to ride after getting experience on the DLPs) or go for a longer board like the 130,125 or 120 to make the work easier and will be cheaper since i've already got the riser/release setup.

Comment

Working...
              X