Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rider - Intro & Questions

Hello SBOL,

Wanted to introduce myself. I am from Queens/LI NY. I started skiing this season. I just got down the hockey stop and carving. (not great at it but good enough to do the greens) . I was tierd of lugging my skiis and poles around and i wanted to advance on the slopes quicker. Most of my buddies are experiences snowboarders. so for begnning of the day, im with them on the green but once they start going into the blues and blacks, i don't go with them.

I started looking into alternatives for skiiing. and i've seen a few people with very short skiis and started doing some research on them. from what i've read, this looks like a very fun sport and something that might be suited for me !

I have not yet tried skiboarding yet. Here is some info about me that will lead to questions.

I am 5'11 / 6'0 200 lbs
    i have solomon ski boots

I recently purchased Summit Jade 87s. I called Skiboards.com and Summit asking them questions and they both recommended me to start off with the 87s. (this was before i found SBOL forums/store)

I also had some question:

1. Does any body have feedback / reviews on the Jade 87s? (can't find any)

2. Does the Jade 87s suit me? ( i don't want to do any crazy ariel/grinding tricks. I just want to be able to go on any slope and kill it. be able to keep up /beat my buddies down the slopes. The extent of tricks i would want to do is spinning around, going backwards and deep shoulder carves to ground carves. once i am more confident with being able to turn and stop on the dime..i would like to go fast also )

3. Any other boards you guys would suggest? (im am currently going to skiboard in the east coast. once my buddies and i are a lot better on runs we'll probably take trades out to the west cost and other big slopes)

Thanks for the feedback in advance!

KTP boards would be great.

Sent from my GT-N8013 using Tapatalk HD

Comment

Everyone develops a slightly different taste in gear as they get into the sport. Some people prefer short boards while others like the longboards. Some like release bindings, and others like nonrelease. Some like stiff flex, and others like soft flex. These are all things that you'll get acquainted with as you spend more time on the slopes on different equipment. I have no personal experience with the Jades, but any board close to 90cm should be a good start. If you look in the gear section of the forum, you should see a thread by Bad Wolf on his experiences with the Jades.

At your height and weight, you can ride all the regularly recommended all-mountain boards like the KTP's, Revolts, and DLP's. All three will give you the performance to keep up with your snowboard buddies on East Coast mountains. If you want maximum surface area in a non-longboard length, the Condors are the way to go. I generally don't recommend those for beginners, though, since their width can take some getting used to.

What mountains do you generally ride? There may be some forum members who are in your area and they might be able to let you demo some different boards.
      RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Are you asking if we think you should return the jades?
        www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
        DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
        Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
        GGO soft boot bindings
        Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

For your size I highly suggest either of these: Revolts at 105cm, DLP's at 110cm or KTP's at 101cm(wider though).

You have some to right place! Welcome! Skiboards are a blast, enjoy!
          C U N DA SNOW!

Comment

Anybody can rock any board given riding it in the right way in the right conditions. At your size I think the Jades are probably on the small side for boards, but they could be a blast to ride.

A few thoughts:

--You don't say if you are using non-release bindings or release bindings. The great part about non-release bindings or the Spruce riser with release bindings sold on this site is that you can move them from board to board. Buy the binding once and it is portable. Non-release bindings are compatible with any board that has a 4cm x 4cm insert pattern - boards up to 110cm. The Spruce riser and binding set-up is compatible with boards that have either a 4cm x 4cm insert pattern or 4cm x 10cm (the so-called "longboards) that go up to 130cm in length. There are some Jades out there that have release bindings directly mounted on them. That will work but you are giving up a lot of the board's length that won't flex then in that configuration.

--Many people find that starting on shorter boards means a faster learning curve. I started on Head 94s and rode them for all of last season. I improved a great deal and was comfortable on black diamond terrain at the resorts I go to by the end of the season.

--I moved up to 110cm Summit Customs for a short time this year and found them intuitive and not a big leap.

--I then moved to Spruce 120s and it took me about 3 times out to get the hang of them. Love them now.

--Starting short is good because the boards are easier to control. Just remember - if you start getting into any amount of powdered snow, loose granular, heavy wet snow or mounded up snow that has been skied off you need to get your weight back to get the tips up so they don't dive under the snow. Tip dive at speed generally means a faceplant (tips go under and your body goes over the front of the boards), which is not fun.

Any of the boards suggested would likely work for you. The Jades might be the ticket as well. If you can't send them back or don't want to, then give them a try.

Bad Wolf on the forum is rocking Summit Jades this year and really likes them - he has posted a bunch of stuff. Here are 2 threads to start with:

Jades - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=14155

Demo of Revel8 Tanshos and Slapdashes - Greco, the owner of skiboardsonline, sent Bad Wolf these boards to demo to see how he liked them compared to the Jades: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=14270

I'm sure if you sent Bad Wolf a PM he would be more than happy to answer questions or share specifics with you on his experience on the Jades.
            In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
            Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
              Bad Wolf on the forum is rocking Summit Jades this year and really likes them - he has posted a bunch of stuff. Here are 2 threads to start with:

Demo of Revel8 Tanshos and Slapdashes - Greco, the owner of skiboardsonline, sent Bad Wolf these boards to demo to see how he liked them compared to the Jades: http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=14270

I'm sure if you sent Bad Wolf a PM he would be more than happy to answer questions or share specifics with you on his experience on the Jades.
              I do love my Jades; but just to be clear it is the length of the board that has me sold, not necessarily the brand. I'm planning to get out on the Tanshos this weekend, which have a very similar profile to the Jades, and will post my review on them ASAP.

The key for me was to find a board short enough to throw all thoughts of technique out of the window, the OP has a size advantage on me so may prefer a longer board and still get the same result. I really enjoyed the Slapdashes (98cm) as well, but only got to use them on a powder day; though life huh.
              Just these, nothing else !

Comment

Originally posted by Gpang827 View Post
                Hello SBOL,

Wanted to introduce myself. I am from Queens/LI NY. I started skiing this season. I just got down the hockey stop and carving. (not great at it but good enough to do the greens) . I was tierd of lugging my skiis and poles around and i wanted to advance on the slopes quicker. Most of my buddies are experiences snowboarders. so for begnning of the day, im with them on the green but once they start going into the blues and blacks, i don't go with them.

I started looking into alternatives for skiiing. and i've seen a few people with very short skiis and started doing some research on them. from what i've read, this looks like a very fun sport and something that might be suited for me !

I have not yet tried skiboarding yet. Here is some info about me that will lead to questions.

I am 5'11 / 6'0 200 lbs
                i have solomon ski boots

I recently purchased Summit Jade 87s. I called Skiboards.com and Summit asking them questions and they both recommended me to start off with the 87s. (this was before i found SBOL forums/store)

I also had some question:

1. Does any body have feedback / reviews on the Jade 87s? (can't find any)

2. Does the Jade 87s suit me? ( i don't want to do any crazy ariel/grinding tricks. I just want to be able to go on any slope and kill it. be able to keep up /beat my buddies down the slopes. The extent of tricks i would want to do is spinning around, going backwards and deep shoulder carves to ground carves. once i am more confident with being able to turn and stop on the dime..i would like to go fast also )

3. Any other boards you guys would suggest? (im am currently going to skiboard in the east coast. once my buddies and i are a lot better on runs we'll probably take trades out to the west cost and other big slopes)

Thanks for the feedback in advance!
                You should definitely hook up with other riders or try out the skiboardsonline.com demo program! At your size the Jades will be fun to start on, but if you want to go fast and keep up with friends on snowboards, you will want more board underfoot. Like bluewing I remember starting on head 94s and being amazed at being able to ride blues and blacks, but once my skills improved I became frustrated at times with how slow the 94s were. From103s to 105s to 110s to 120s, every increase in board size was an increase in speed and stability. I know bluewing flies on his 120s; he can tell you if he had the same leap in speed when he went to longer boards.
                To consider for demo:
                The ktps are gorgeous, amazing carvers, and, though only 101 cm, seem to fit aggressive riders of any size. Lots of fun and a great one for you to test drive. My hubby is 200 lbs and those are the boards that made him a diehard revel8 dude, so they would be enough for you.
                The revolt was the first skiboard I rode where I was finally riding WITH my husband rather than far far behind. Awesome "do anything" boards. At 5'10" I did end up sticking with that little bit of extra length in the alp/dlp, though, so you could try either 105s or 110s and be fine...
                Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to hear your reaction to them after being on skis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                '07 "soft" ALPs
                Eyeball DLPs
                125 LEs
                Ospreys mounted bindings
                Crossbows
                Spruce riser release bindings
                Sometimes borrower of Chad's spare Blunt XLs

Comment

wow, i appreciate all the advice everyone. thank you!

Originally posted by CrazyBoy-1 View Post
                  What mountains do you generally ride? There may be some forum members who are in your area and they might be able to let you demo some different boards.
                  I don't really have a dedicated mountain. My buddies go from Camel Back , Mountain Creek, Stowe, Stratton, Jay Peak, etc etc. they are all over the map.

A few thoughts:

--You don't say if you are using non-release bindings or release bindings. The great part about non-release bindings or the Spruce riser with release bindings sold on this site is that you can move them from board to board. Buy the binding once and it is portable. Non-release bindings are compatible with any board that has a 4cm x 4cm insert pattern - boards up to 110cm. The Spruce riser and binding set-up is compatible with boards that have either a 4cm x 4cm insert pattern or 4cm x 10cm (the so-called "longboards) that go up to 130cm in length. There are some Jades out there that have release bindings directly mounted on them. That will work but you are giving up a lot of the board's length that won't flex then in that configuration.

--Many people find that starting on shorter boards means a faster learning curve. I started on Head 94s and rode them for all of last season. I improved a great deal and was comfortable on black diamond terrain at the resorts I go to by the end of the season.

--I moved up to 110cm Summit Customs for a short time this year and found them intuitive and not a big leap.

--I then moved to Spruce 120s and it took me about 3 times out to get the hang of them. Love them now.

--Starting short is good because the boards are easier to control. Just remember - if you start getting into any amount of powdered snow, loose granular, heavy wet snow or mounded up snow that has been skied off you need to get your weight back to get the tips up so they don't dive under the snow. Tip dive at speed generally means a faceplant (tips go under and your body goes over the front of the boards), which is not fun.

Any of the boards suggested would likely work for you. The Jades might be the ticket as well. If you can't send them back or don't want to, then give them a try.

Thanks for the advise. to answer your question, the jades i purchased it came with Atomic Release bindings. would that make a big difference? i heard release are safer.

Originally posted by CANtoo View Post
                  You should definitely hook up with other riders or try out the skiboardsonline.com demo program! At your size the Jades will be fun to start on, but if you want to go fast and keep up with friends on snowboards, you will want more board underfoot. Like bluewing I remember starting on head 94s and being amazed at being able to ride blues and blacks, but once my skills improved I became frustrated at times with how slow the 94s were. From103s to 105s to 110s to 120s, every increase in board size was an increase in speed and stability. I know bluewing flies on his 120s; he can tell you if he had the same leap in speed when he went to longer boards.
                  To consider for demo:
                  The ktps are gorgeous, amazing carvers, and, though only 101 cm, seem to fit aggressive riders of any size. Lots of fun and a great one for you to test drive. My hubby is 200 lbs and those are the boards that made him a diehard revel8 dude, so they would be enough for you.
                  The revolt was the first skiboard I rode where I was finally riding WITH my husband rather than far far behind. Awesome "do anything" boards. At 5'10" I did end up sticking with that little bit of extra length in the alp/dlp, though, so you could try either 105s or 110s and be fine...
                  Good luck and have fun! I can't wait to hear your reaction to them after being on skis

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2
                  I will def look into the demo program. I think i should give the Jades a try this season get comfortable and move up in size next season. I will definetly post my reactions to the jade once i've used them!

Comment

Longer boards generally = faster speed, more stability but are also typically harder to learn on so it is often a progression people go through.

My experience is that the shorter boards were great to learn on and for me at first speed was relative - the Head 94s felt plenty fast in terms of my personal experience. I was not riding as fast as my friends on skis, but that was fine while I learned. The smaller boards tend to run of out speed quickly as the terrain flattens out, which after I got my skills to a certain point started to become a negative.

Each step up in size for me meant more speed. Personally, I am riding much faster on my 120s than anything else I have been on. That is my "sweet spot" size of board. Other people can ride faster than me on shorter boards - I watched Kirk Thompson on his 101cm KTPs and Dave Lynam on his 110cm DLPs go probably over 60 miles per hour straightlining down a steep blue run at the end of the day at Sierrat-at-Tahoe on the last day of Shredfest.

Boards are relatively inexpensive and there is a pretty good used equipment market so you can work your way up to longer boards.
                    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
                    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Longer boards generally = faster speed, more stability but are also typically harder to learn on so it is often a progression people go through.

My experience is that the shorter boards were great to learn on and for me at first speed was relative - the Head 94s felt plenty fast in terms of my personal experience. I was not riding as fast as my friends on skis, but that was fine while I learned. The smaller boards tend to run of out speed quickly as the terrain flattens out, which after I got my skills to a certain point started to become a negative.

Each step up in size for me meant more speed. Personally, I am riding much faster on my 120s than anything else I have been on. That is my "sweet spot" size of board. Other people can ride faster than me on shorter boards - I watched Kirk Thompson on his 101cm KTPs and Dave Lynam on his 110cm DLPs go probably over 60 miles per hour straightlining down a steep blue run at the end of the day at Sierrat-at-Tahoe on the last day of Shredfest.

Boards are relatively inexpensive and there is a pretty good used equipment market so you can work your way up to longer boards.
                      Thanks!!!!

Comment

There are several forum members who ride the mountains that you listed. If you're interested in trying some different boards, post up in the "Meet up and Ride" section. I'm sure there are people with extra setups who'd be happy to meet up with you and let you try some different setups. If nothing else, try to make it to the East meet of Spring Steez.
                        RVL8 Condors - The Flex will be with me, always...until I break them

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming... "WOW! WHAT A RIDE!!"

Comment

Working...
                        X