Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Rider - Help Needed Please

Hi everyone.

i came across a video on vimeo last year from the rvl8 guys and have been interested in trying skiboards ever since. i have never been on skis, i used to snowboard in High School, and around the same time i was really good at freestyle inline as well. i feel that this would be a nice way to get back into snow sports for myself.

i already have done some research and decided on what boards i want. i love the way the rvl8 KTPs look and the reviews. plus i have to rep the hometown guy since i'm from Pittsburgh like Kirk. but i would be getting last years since the artwork is sick and i like the way the green/yellow/black comes together.

i'm just stuck on bindings/boots really. i just cant get over how expensive a pair of ski boots are. a good pair run like 250-400 bucks. is there a huge difference between using ski boots and snowboard boots with skiboards? since i have seen i can get a good set of snowboard boots for 150-200 easily. and are most people running with non-release bindings too?

i would love to find someone local with maybe a spare or old set of boards and whatnot i could try out once to make sure i want to go out and spend this much cash and it not be a one time thing lol

-Frank

Hello fellow Pittsburgher,

First of all, welcome to the Forum! Oh, those videos are extremely motivational. So you've snowboarded before, and were good at inline? That's definitely helpful.

I would really hold of on buying anything right now, if you ask me. Since you're not sure whether you'll even stick with the sport or not. I find that doubtful, since it is purely amazing, but you never know.

Even though I started off with 15 years of skiing experience, I still wanted to see what it felt like to ride on something significantly shorter than my 185cm skis. I went to a local shop (Thrifty's, right before 7Springs) and rented some Elan 99cm blades a couple times. Of course, they have a good number of the pros that skiboards have, but plenty of cons, due to their overall lack of quality, width, etc. I'm assuming you've probably read up on the differences on the many resources on this forum. Too bad my old Revolts are broken, or you'd be able to try them out.

Once you get a feel for riding and are sure you want to continue with everything, then you can start thinking about your board choice. It all depends on what you mostly plan on doing with them. Do you plan to cruse groomers, hit powder (which is few and far between in our parts, anyway) or hit the park? I also had to take my weight in consideration for my board choice, because I was a good 230lbs when I bought them.

To answer your questions about boots and bindings, skiboarders mainly use regular ski boots....but not all of us. There are special snowboard boot bindings made for use with skiboards, and there are also risers that will adapt a number of snowboard bindings with skiboards. The main thing is support. (Though, I could use some interjection from somebody who uses or has used snowboard boots on skiboards) I know that snowboard boots don't provide quite the amount of support that ski boots do. Again, there is a lot of good information within the forum about this too. Never underestimate the search function

Anyway, I hope this info was helpful. I would gladly meet you up the slopes or something and help you get on your feet...literally!

Romolo
    Boards
    Revel8 2011 Condor
    Revel8 2009 Revolt "Condor Graphic"
    Revel8 2008 KTP

Bindings
    Tyrolia Attack 13 on Spruce Risers
    Bomber Elite II

Boots
    Nordica 2012 Double Six
    Salomon 2010 Impact 8 CS

Booze
    Crown Royal
    Maker's Mark
    Tito's Handmade Vodka

Brews
    Pabst Blue Ribbon
    Bell's Hop Slam

Injuries
    2012 - (Left) Torn MCL
    2013 - (Right) Torn Deltoid Ligament & Tibial Fracture

Comment

Originally posted by FPenvy View Post
      Hi everyone.

i came across a video on vimeo last year from the rvl8 guys and have been interested in trying skiboards ever since. i have never been on skis, i used to snowboard in High School, and around the same time i was really good at freestyle inline as well. i feel that this would be a nice way to get back into snow sports for myself.

i already have done some research and decided on what boards i want. i love the way the rvl8 KTPs look and the reviews. plus i have to rep the hometown guy since i'm from Pittsburgh like Kirk. but i would be getting last years since the artwork is sick and i like the way the green/yellow/black comes together.

Ktps are a great choice

i'm just stuck on bindings/boots really. i just cant get over how expensive a pair of ski boots are. a good pair run like 250-400 bucks. is there a huge difference between using ski boots and snowboard boots with skiboards? since i have seen i can get a good set of snowboard boots for 150-200 easily. and are most people running with non-release bindings too?

There is a pretty decent difference between ski boots and snowboard boots at least with the GGO setup I use. Its hard to explain but I will say that my techniques changed when I switched from hard boots to soft. My website has some intro information on snowboard boot bindings if you want to check it out. The difference in price between soft boots and hard boots is negated by the added cost of the binding at least if you go with the GGO binding which I recommend obviously

If you are willing to take the risk most people much prefer the feel of non-release bindings.

Since it is the end of the season boots will be going on sale very soon.

i would love to find someone local with maybe a spare or old set of boards and whatnot i could try out once to make sure i want to go out and spend this much cash and it not be a one time thing lol

-Frank

I would check out the for sale forum here, sometimes you can get boards and bindings for a decent price, which you could always resell if it turns out not to be your thing. Skiboardsonline also has a demo program you might want to look into.
      www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
      DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
      Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
      GGO soft boot bindings
      Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Originally posted by Romolo View Post
        Hello fellow Pittsburgher,

First of all, welcome to the Forum! Oh, those videos are extremely motivational. So you've snowboarded before, and were good at inline? That's definitely helpful.

I would really hold of on buying anything right now, if you ask me. Since you're not sure whether you'll even stick with the sport or not. I find that doubtful, since it is purely amazing, but you never know.

Even though I started off with 15 years of skiing experience, I still wanted to see what it felt like to ride on something significantly shorter than my 185cm skis. I went to a local shop (Thrifty's, right before 7Springs) and rented some Elan 99cm blades a couple times. Of course, they have a good number of the pros that skiboards have, but plenty of cons, due to their overall lack of quality, width, etc. I'm assuming you've probably read up on the differences on the many resources on this forum. Too bad my old Revolts are broken, or you'd be able to try them out.

Once you get a feel for riding and are sure you want to continue with everything, then you can start thinking about your board choice. It all depends on what you mostly plan on doing with them. Do you plan to cruse groomers, hit powder (which is few and far between in our parts, anyway) or hit the park? I also had to take my weight in consideration for my board choice, because I was a good 230lbs when I bought them.

To answer your questions about boots and bindings, skiboarders mainly use regular ski boots....but not all of us. There are special snowboard boot bindings made for use with skiboards, and there are also risers that will adapt a number of snowboard bindings with skiboards. The main thing is support. (Though, I could use some interjection from somebody who uses or has used snowboard boots on skiboards) I know that snowboard boots don't provide quite the amount of support that ski boots do. Again, there is a lot of good information within the forum about this too. Never underestimate the search function

Anyway, I hope this info was helpful. I would gladly meet you up the slopes or something and help you get on your feet...literally!

Romolo

thanks for the info and it's nice to see a few pittsburgh guys on here which could be a big help.

i'd love to stick with it if i'm not awful at it lol but i agree with you i just need to try it and see what happens before i go and buy.

as for my plans on riding i am down for regular trail riding and parks. probably more park riding since 7springs just added some awesome new features. the new streets park looks like it would be fun lol when i used to snowboard none of my friends would want to go to the parks so i think thats why i lost interest. then college came and had no time or money really. now thats all done and i got time and a little extra cash whenever i'm not buying more stuff for my car.

and yes the search function is a big help trust me i know from my car forum lol i have been looking around here a bit today seeing whats what and checking anything that looks useful.

i'll have to check out thriftys and see what their rental run and maybe head up the springs soon. last few times ive been there it was just for drinking didnt even ride. i honestly havent been on a board in 6-7 years

Comment

Originally posted by bee View Post

I would check out the for sale forum here, sometimes you can get boards and bindings for a decent price, which you could always resell if it turns out not to be your thing. Skiboardsonline also has a demo program you might want to look into.
          thank you for all the info. i'll go check out your set-up and see what it has to offer vs the more traditional set-up. also i never knew skiboardsonline had a demo program.

thanks!

Comment

Good to see more people on here in Pittsburgh for sure. I ride up at 7 Springs once or twice a week, usually Friday and Sunday, so if you're ever up there the same time I could bring an extra pair of KTPs and bindings to try out. Unfortunately, you would need boots.

Skiboots are annoyingly expensive, but they will have a bigger impact on your experience than anything else. If you don't have properly fitting boots, your ride will be sloppy and your feet will hurt after a short time. If you get skiboots, make sure to get a pair of ski socks first, and wear them while trying the boots on. Even if you plan on getting boots online, make sure to try them in a store first to make sure they fit your feet. Your feet shouldn't move in the boot, and it should be evenly tight across your foot and lower shin, without any pressure points.

I rode snowboard boots a few times years ago. Back then, the bindings didn't offer enough support, but I haven't tried the newer setups with the extra strap at the top. This should make them better, but I can't comment here.

Since you skated and snowboarded previously, it will likely be pretty natural for you. I skated all the time growing up (usually at ShadySkates back in those days) and had a mixed ski/snowboard background before skiboards came out. When I first found a pair of them (1999), I was able to transfer all of my skate tricks over with no issues - they feel so similar. The only big difference between the two is speed. When hitting really big jumps on skiboards, you carry TONS of speed in.

Let us know what you end up with, and maybe I'll see you up there sometime.

Comment

Originally posted by kirk View Post
              Unfortunately, you would need boots.
              In the meantime you could just rent boots from Thrifty's for about $12.

(usually at ShadySkates back in those days)
              Oh ShadySkates... Haven't heard that name in a while. At least it's a pretty cool climbing gym now.
              Boards
              Revel8 2011 Condor
              Revel8 2008 KTP

Bindings
              Bomber Elite II

Boots
              Nordica 2012 Double Six
              Salomon 2010 Impact 8 CS

Booze
              Crown Royal
              Maker's Mark
              Tito's Handmade Vodka

Brews
              Pabst Blue Ribbon
              Bell's Hop Slam

Injuries
              2012 - (Left) Torn MCL

Comment

...... i just cant get over how expensive a pair of ski boots are. a good pair run like 250-400 bucks. .....
                Frank - Ski boots need not be expensive if you shop aggressively. While I paid a ton for my boots my wife paid about $100 for her boots including custom fitting. She loves them and they fit great. You are just about the right time for end of the season deals for the East Region. I would suggest you rent boots to see if you like the sport and take advantage of end of season closeouts.
                Boards:
                2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

I've paid as much as $350 for boots and as little as $80. The absolute best pair for me (and the ones I use now) cost me $130 new. As already mentioned here by others, it really comes down to the best fit and comfort - that does not necessarily come with a ridiculously high price tag.
                  Skis: Armada JJs, Armada Magic Js and Icelantic Keepers
                  Bindings: Marker Griffon, Look Pivot
                  Full Tilt Boots
                  Past: Revel8 Tanshos, KTPs, Revolts, DLPs, Condors; Spruce Raptors, 120s, Sherpas

Comment

Good to see more people on here in Pittsburgh for sure. I ride up at 7 Springs once or twice a week, usually Friday and Sunday, so if you're ever up there the same time I could bring an extra pair of KTPs and bindings to try out. Unfortunately, you would need boots.

Skiboots are annoyingly expensive, but they will have a bigger impact on your experience than anything else. If you don't have properly fitting boots, your ride will be sloppy and your feet will hurt after a short time. If you get skiboots, make sure to get a pair of ski socks first, and wear them while trying the boots on. Even if you plan on getting boots online, make sure to try them in a store first to make sure they fit your feet. Your feet shouldn't move in the boot, and it should be evenly tight across your foot and lower shin, without any pressure points.

I rode snowboard boots a few times years ago. Back then, the bindings didn't offer enough support, but I haven't tried the newer setups with the extra strap at the top. This should make them better, but I can't comment here.

Since you skated and snowboarded previously, it will likely be pretty natural for you. I skated all the time growing up (usually at ShadySkates back in those days) and had a mixed ski/snowboard background before skiboards came out. When I first found a pair of them (1999), I was able to transfer all of my skate tricks over with no issues - they feel so similar. The only big difference between the two is speed. When hitting really big jumps on skiboards, you carry TONS of speed in.

Let us know what you end up with, and maybe I'll see you up there sometime.

thanks for the info kirk!

actually oddly enough me and my friends were talking last night and 2 of my buddies were thinking about going up this saturday possibly. it's really hinging on how much we drink during the pens game friday night lol

but if we are ever up there at the same time that would be awesome to actually get to try KTP's before ever buying any. i'm guessing that the thriftys place probably doesnt have any to rent. i could easily rent a set of boots though and give your extra set of KTPs a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Romolo View Post
                      In the meantime you could just rent boots from Thrifty's for about $12.

Oh ShadySkates... Haven't heard that name in a while. At least it's a pretty cool climbing gym now.
                      yea i'll probably just rent rather than droppin $400 on them now lol

i always skated at the park above the ice arenas in moon/airport ice arena. it was like 15 minutes from my house.

Comment

Originally posted by Wookie View Post
                        Frank - Ski boots need not be expensive if you shop aggressively. While I paid a ton for my boots my wife paid about $100 for her boots including custom fitting. She loves them and they fit great. You are just about the right time for end of the season deals for the East Region. I would suggest you rent boots to see if you like the sport and take advantage of end of season closeouts.
                        yea i figured that is the best plan to rent and see if i will continue with it.

just for curiosity where did your wife find that kind of deal online? i've been looking here and there at different sites to see who has what deals but nothing spectacular is jumping out at me.

also i know nothing about ski boots besides they are hard shelled and expensive lol i'm not sure what kind of flex to get, whats a good brand, and since i plan on spending most of my time in the parks once i get used to them if freestyle boots are what i should be looking at.

Comment

actually oddly enough me and my friends were talking last night and 2 of my buddies were thinking about going up this saturday possibly. it's really hinging on how much we drink during the pens game friday night lol
                          I'll be drinking tomorrow for the game, and I'll be up the slopes this Saturday! (riding and drinking more) haha

i always skated at the park above the ice arenas in moon/airport ice arena. it was like 15 minutes from my house.
                          Then you must have lived relatively close to me, unless you were further out past Moon. I'm from the West End area (Sheraden)
                          Boards
                          Revel8 2011 Condor
                          Revel8 2008 KTP

Bindings
                          Bomber Elite II

Boots
                          Nordica 2012 Double Six
                          Salomon 2010 Impact 8 CS

Booze
                          Crown Royal
                          Maker's Mark
                          Tito's Handmade Vodka

Brews
                          Pabst Blue Ribbon
                          Bell's Hop Slam

Injuries
                          2012 - (Left) Torn MCL

Comment

B-Cubed Skatepark... that was a sweet place. I use to ride there all the time after ShadySkates closed. That wallride they had was awesome.

Comment

yea i figured that is the best plan to rent and see if i will continue with it.

just for curiosity where did your wife find that kind of deal online? i've been looking here and there at different sites to see who has what deals but nothing spectacular is jumping out at me.

also i know nothing about ski boots besides they are hard shelled and expensive lol i'm not sure what kind of flex to get, whats a good brand, and since i plan on spending most of my time in the parks once i get used to them if freestyle boots are what i should be looking at.
                              My wife purchased her boots from our local ski shop late in the season. She actually told them her budget and they worked with her. I would recommend that you buy your boots in person from a good boot fitter. If you work with a boot fitter that knows what they are doing they will get you into something that works for your foot and modify it where necessary. You can also go back for adjustments as needed. When buying online you are on your own. They either fit or don't. There are plenty of cases where people buy boots online and are happy with them but most people need their boots fitted (adjusted) to work right.

I did the online discount boot thing for years and had a bunch bad fitting cheap boots to show for it. I wish I had gotten smart from the start and made the investment in good boots, it would have saved me money in the long. You can get by with cheap pants, used skiboards, a borrowed helmet, but if your boots are uncomfortable it will ruin your whole day and limit how you progress and enjoy the sport.

For boot brands, flex, etc. there are a ton of posts on this forum that speak to it just search around a bit. For me I love my Tecnica Bonafide 110s but these might not work for someone who wants to spend a lot of time in the park. They are relatively stiff but this works for me as more of a cruiser than a park guy. You probably want something softer.
                              Boards:
                              2016 Spruce tuned Head Jr. Caddys - 131cm
                              2013 Spruce "CTS" 120s
                              2010 Spruce "Yellow/Red" 120s
                              2018 Spruce "CTS" Crossbows - 115cm
                              2016 RVL8 Spliffs - 109cm
                              2008 RVL8 Revolt "City" - 105cm
                              2017 RVL8 Sticky Icky Icky - 104cm
                              2011 Defiance Blades - 101cm

Comment

Working...
                              X