Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Upgrading from ancient Salomon Snowblades...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrading from ancient Salomon Snowblades...

Hey Everyone, after many years away from the slopes I've had a couple of trips to the Austrian Alps this year on my very old Snowblades. Tried ski-ing again but afraid I'm hooked on the fun of snowblades, but I'm looking to upgrade to a 'proper' skiboard. After 12days (over the course of a year), I'm starting to get confident enough to ski backwards and switch and do small jumps, keep attempting the grinds but not quite pulling it off yet.

After much teasing from ski-depo boys in Soll, Austria, I'm really happy to find that skiboarding has a real following in America and isn't something people just do for a fun rental day.

I'd love some advice on what size/width of board to get? I want something that can keep up with my family on groomed and moguls, but also keep up with snowboarding buddies for occasional off-piste and have fun learning tricks in the parks. My 'gayblades' as most of Europe seems to refer to them, are 90cm long and very slim, so I'm worried something much fatter would be too harsh a change, but at the same time I'd love to handle powder in what ever i decide to get.

Originally posted by BillieFingers View Post
    I want something that can keep up with my family on groomed and moguls, but also keep up with snowboarding buddies for occasional off-piste and have fun learning tricks in the parks. My 'gayblades' as most of Europe seems to refer to them, are 90cm long and very slim, so I'm worried something much fatter would be too harsh a change, but at the same time I'd love to handle powder in what ever i decide to get.
    Welcome to the forum. You will find this a great community. It would help to get some physical stats - your height and weight are helpful re advice on possible boards. Since you mention wanting to learn tricks in the park I have suggested shorter boards. If you are looking to cruise the mountain outside of the park there are a few other excellent boards to consider.

The Revolt 105cm boards have lots of followers who ride them all over the mountain, including in the park. Depending on your size they may or may not take you too far into any kind of deeper snow. If you want something with a bit softer flex (medium flex) check out the "Chicken" model - it is an older board with a bit softer flex than the current model. http://www.skiboardsonline.com/mm5/m...Code=105revolt

The DLP 110cm board is another board with a big following of all mountain riders - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/mm5/m...ry_Code=110dlp. These will give you more float and will handle deeper snow better than the Revolts due to more surface area under you. These are named after Dave Lynam, a Revel8 pro rider. Check out some of the videos featuring him on this site.

A lot of people like the KTPs as well for all mountain riding and park. These are a unique board - 101cm and fat at the tip and tail and underfoot. These are named after Kirk Thompson, a Revel8 pro rider. Check out some of the videos featuring him on this site. These also have an extra set of inserts so you can set the binding back 4cm for riding in deeper snow.

Bindings - you will have to decide if you want to go release or non-release. If you go release, the Spruce riser set-up is very nice. You have to be aware that the wider boards like the KTP and Condors require the higher end Spruce Riser and binding set-up if you are going with brakes on them due to the width of the boards requiring super wide brakes. http://www.skiboardsonline.com/c/spruce_bindings.html

Non-release bindings - 4 brands on this site plus 2 sets of bindings that allow you to use snowboard boots. If you want to go traditional non-release with ski boots it seems that many people like the Revel8 brand bindings. http://www.skiboardsonline.com/c/bindings.html

The customer service from this site is first rate so you can buy from here with confidence. Post back some additional details and I am sure you will get some other people offering advice.
    In pursuit of Peace, Harmony and Flow.....
    Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Thanks Bluewing! Really helpful!

I'm on the tall side, 5ft10" and 66kg.

I'm comfy enough in my skiboots but do find myself jealous of the comfort of the flew of snowboard boots and style. Is there any benefit of having snowboard bindings or is it only a benefit for those skiboarders who also snowboard?

Comment

At your size I would think the Revolts, DLPs or KTPs would work fine. The KTPs would probably be the biggest jump from the blades you are on now due to their width.

I ride release bindings so I don't have any firsthand experience with the non-release bindings designed for use with snowboard boots. From what I have read here you will need stiff snowboard boots. I think some people have reported that they feel the snowboard binding set-up gives them a better feel for what is going on and maybe some finer control. I am not sure if anybody is riding that set-up in the park or not. If you have ski boots and you are good with them, then probably best to stick with them and not spend the extra money on snowboard boots.

Good luck with whatever you get. Consider detuning the tips and tails of any board you get - here is a nice thread with detuning information - http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ead.php?t=5556.
        Think Like a Mountain

Boards ridden, some owned: Sherpas, Spruce 120 "STS", Blunts, DS110 custom prototypes, Rockered Condors, Revolts, DLPs, Summit Custom 110s, Summit Marauders, Head 94s, Raptor prototypes, Osprey prototypes.

Comment

Thanks!!

Thanks to the OP, and to Bluewing.

I'm in the exact same situation..

Comment

I wouldn't worry to much about the added width of revel8 skiboards. Most people prefer the extra width. You really can't go wrong with any of them, though I would start with the revolts or ktps. They are middle of the road size wise.

To learn more about snowboard boot bindings check out my website in my signature, there is information from history of bindings to what to look for when buying snowboard boots.
            www.skiboardbindings.com GGO Co-Founder

Check out a review of our bindings http://www.skiboardsonline.com/forum...ad.php?t=13031 (Thanks Rob)

My setup:
            DLP/Ktps (randomly switch)
            Condors, not rockered (powder/crap conditions board)
            GGO soft boot bindings
            Ride RFL Snowboard Boots

Comment

Thanks Bluewing! Really helpful!

I'm on the tall side, 5ft10" and 66kg.

I'm comfy enough in my skiboots but do find myself jealous of the comfort of the flew of snowboard boots and style. Is there any benefit of having snowboard bindings or is it only a benefit for those skiboarders who also snowboard?
              Hey BillieFingers, if you can make it up to Milton Keynes Sno!Zone, you can try out some of my skiboards.
              Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
              Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
              Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

Originally posted by ysb33r View Post
                Hey BillieFingers, if you can make it up to Milton Keynes Sno!Zone, you can try out some of my skiboards.
                I got a little hasty and opted for the KTP. Had lots of recommendations for it and it seems like it's a good middle ground. I will be coming up to Milton Keynes Sno!Zone beginning of February and would be lovely to meet someone who knows what they're doing! I thought I was the only Brit in here!

Comment

I can make it between the 6th - 9th of Feb (the 10th at a stretch).
                  Current: '20 Spruce Slingshot 119s, '20 Spruce Crossbow 115s, '18 Spruce Osprey 132s (touring), '21 Rvl8 SII 104s, '21 Summit Invertigos 118s
                  Also: '11 Allz Elaila 94s, '12 Rvl8 Rockered Condor 110s, '15 Spruce Osprey 132s , '18 Spruce Crossbow 115s
                  Previous: Gaspo Hot Wax 84s, Mantrax 98s, Summit Nomad 99s, Spruce Yellow 120s, Eman Uprise 104s

Comment

I thought I was the only Brit in here!
                    No, there seem to be loads of them. They keep slipping through the nets!
                    Think Like a Mountain

Comment

Originally posted by Bluewing View Post
                      No, there seem to be loads of them. They keep slipping through the nets!
                      Yeah, us Brits are right slippery b****rs. Valmorel and I are Brits too and often visit MK Snodome. Usually on a Sunday morning every six weeks or so. I should be about in February.
                      Spruce Crossbow 115 "Ski Track" skiboards - My Go To skiboards
                      Tyrolia Attack2 13 GW release bindings on Spruce Risers
                      Nordica HF110 ski boots

Comment

Originally posted by Gromit View Post
                        Yeah, us Brits are right slippery b****rs. Valmorel and I are Brits too and often visit MK Snodome. Usually on a Sunday morning every six weeks or so. I should be about in February.
                        I slipped all the way to Arizona.
                        Just these, nothing else !

Comment

I've not ventured to any of the indoor snowdomes yet. We'll be coming up on a weekend, myself and a boarder friend. Is there always a park set up at MK or is it only certain times?

Hemel Hempsted's the closest dome to myself, anyone frequent that one?

Comment

Veering off the thread slightly I'm planning on hitting Snowboxx festival in Andora in March, not sure how we want to get down there yet but be great to meet some other skiboarders if anyone else is heading out?

Comment

I've not ventured to any of the indoor snowdomes yet. We'll be coming up on a weekend, myself and a boarder friend. Is there always a park set up at MK or is it only certain times?

Hemel Hempsted's the closest dome to myself, anyone frequent that one?
                              MK is Thursday and Friday evenings are dedicated to park stuff. Other times might have some minimal stuff set up, usually only 2-3 kickers.

Comment

Working...
                              X